Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Rattling/ticking noise Q8 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling/ticking noise Q8 ?

Hello guys, I know I am new but I have searched the forum for quite some time but I could not find an answer or a solution to this annoying noise.
So the noise comes mostly from drivers side of the engine, its barely audible from the car but when windows are down or even you can hear that clanking noise, it sounds like a tractor, I goes away or at least it fades after 1400-1500 rpms.
It used to be less loud but now its annoying, any help with it is much appreciated.
I have no check engine light or other errors in my dashboard.
Attached Files
File Type: avi
IMG_3998 (1).avi (19.12 MB, 39 views)
Old 03-08-2024, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 793 Likes on 607 Posts

It does not sound good. It would be good to know more about your car because there may be many reasons of this sound. One of them is the need to replace the timing chain. In any case, I would visit the dealer because it won't fix itself and it can only get worse.
Old 03-09-2024, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
It does not sound good. It would be good to know more about your car because there may be many reasons of this sound. One of them is the need to replace the timing chain. In any case, I would visit the dealer because it won't fix itself and it can only get worse.
You mentioned timing chain in your post. Curious if you know the expected life of the timing chain?
Old 03-09-2024, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 793 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkIndy
You mentioned timing chain in your post. Curious if you know the expected life of the timing chain?
If I remember correctly, the manufacturer recommends 120k km or 5 years. In practice, timing chains are replaced later, but it depends of many factors. Since replacement is very troublesome because it requires dismantling the entire engine, it is assumed that the timing chain is replaced when it starts to become noisy. There are those who drive even 200-250k km without replacing it.
Old 03-14-2024, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, in the end I will take it to the dealer and try to fix it but when I went for my last service at them they told me an astronomical price to diagnose what the sounds is and then a separate price for fixing what the problem would be so that gave me a great headache lol
These stealerships just trying to rip off customers, I wanted to know if someone on the forum had this problem and what did they do to fix it.
Its a 2019 Q8 prestige, it has 90k miles so I don't know what it could be. I want to mention that there are no errors but the random auto start/stop malfunction that pops here and there if I have my doors open for a few minutes without engine running. (I suspect this might be the alternator or battery).
Old 03-18-2024, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same noise in my 2019 Q8 47K miles. Out of warranty on time not mileage. The dealer noted no abnormal noises. Mine also consumes a great deal of oil.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I notice mine just got louder, the ticking got louder and you can hear it from the inside of the car if my music is off. Also what I noticed is that here and then, the ticking noise randomly gets less noisy when on idle and then it comes back. While driving I also noticed when accelerating that the car is lazier than usually and makes a loud engine noise but feels like no power, (no torque?) but it speeds up, it just does way more noise than usual.
I've been searching all over the forums and youtube and I could not find a real solution or what the problem could be.
Now my thought on this is that it could probably be one of the pulleys, no idea which one but that would be my wild guess, I found a service specialized in german cars and sometime this week I will try and see what they have to say and if they can figure it out.
I am done with dealerships, way too overpriced and most of the times they have no clue what they do.
Another thing, I dont know if this is relevant but I noticed my oil temp is around 190-200F, never gets higher and I read that it should be higher so it could be that one tiny thing that causes the problem.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Lamparekr
I have the same noise in my 2019 Q8 47K miles. Out of warranty on time not mileage. The dealer noted no abnormal noises. Mine also consumes a great deal of oil.
How much oil does your Q8 consume?
Old 04-23-2024, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am updating the post with 2 new videos of how the engine noise is sounding right now, I have no idea what it could possibly be and it drives me crazy, I've went to 2 separate Audi dealrships and one of them told me is normal, the other one told me they would need like 4-5 hours to diagnose which is absurd and they charged me around $1k, also been to a couple garages specialized in european and VAG cars, one told me it is something internal and they did not even wanna touch it (lol?) and the other one told me I should do an engine flush and go with a 5w40 oil when my cars oil is 0w20 so I am a bit skeptical about it.
Just trying to see if I can get some answers here before I do anything crazy and spend thousands on repairs.

https://imgur.com/lO3EDFv

https://imgur.com/a/ytdzs4K
Old 04-24-2024, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have the exact same noise, from the same location. Appointment is made for early May at an Audi dealer.

Quick Reply: Rattling/ticking noise Q8 ?