Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 Weird Ac Actuator noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Q8 Weird Ac Actuator noise

Hi Everyone,

First thread here, first time Audi owner - 2019 Q8. Wife had an S5 prior.

I have a weird noise coming from behind the dash. It has something to do with the AC system. Sounds exactly like when the computer used to write to an holder optical hard drives. I took the car into the dealership 3 times. Each time, I had someone sit in the car and verify the noise and confirm that they are also hearing it.

1) they said they had some faults with the AC system, they said the noise was fixed via software. I took the car home and heard it immediately when i got out of the dealership
2) they said removed and reinstalled the AC vent motor (?) from under the steering wheel. it seemed like this fixed the noise and I didn't hear it for about 30 min, but once I turned up the AC fan, it came back again
3) went back to the dealership, had a technician sit in the car and verify the noise. I also recorded the noise and had a video. Tech mentioned it was the actuators that open and close flaps to circulate the air around the car. I was told to send the video that I recorded and it was going to be fixed under warranty. Now I got a text from the service guy saying it was a normal noise and all Q8s make this noise. BUT, this wasn't there when I first bought the car, it came up a couple of months ago. I have attached the video where you can hear the noise, apologies if its not very clear.

In the video, you can hear the noise at 5-6 second mark, 13 second mark and 17-18 second mark. its screeching noise. its subtle but very annoying when it happens constantly.

So, if other Q8 owners can let me know if they are hearing this same noise and any suggestions with how to deal with the dealer would really help!
The following users liked this post:
Emcicles (07-16-2023)
Old 01-21-2021, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i thought the video attached. here is a link - https://imgur.com/ooQQ5qh
Emcicles (07-16-2023)
Old 02-09-2022, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Q8kari
Did this ever get resolved? Have a 2020 Q7 and this noise started after about a year of ownership - not normal. I felt it was associated with the vent actuators as well - when AUTO is turned off on the HVAC system the noise stops. Not ideal.

Old 02-10-2022, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts

I have this same noise, agree it sounds like writing to a hard disk on a computer. Just assumed with all the tech, that is what it is doing. But it is not intrusive and you can’t hear it once driving or with any level of the audio turned on. So I never investigated further.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Q8kari
For some reason, I can see the video but do not hear any audio. I think I have the same issue with my RS Q8 - it sounds like a mechanical whirring sound behind the upper MMI screen - it is hard to localize. It is not very loud and you usually cannot hear it with music on or at a higher speed but definitely audible in stop and go city traffic with no music on. It also seems temperature dependent with it happening mostly between 35F - 50F. My AC compressor is currently switched off (due to the cold, dry air) so if it is the climate system, it is some other component.

I will try to record what mine sounds like and post it.

EDIT: I am an idiot (Imagur puts the volume control in the upper right, not where every other video playback software does next to the time slider). I heard the sound

So my noise is less on and off like the video (which I agree, sounds like a hard drive head actuator motor) and more of a continuous whirring that goes on for a few minutes like a mechanical clock

Last edited by HDCL; 02-10-2022 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this noise in my 2019 Q8 as well... Happens when the AC system is in Auto, but not when it is on a normal fan speed. Tech couldn't diagnose it either... I'd care, but I don't want the car in the shop for weeks, and it is getting replaced with a new car shortly, so I just live with it.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have this also, its when its on Auto, its like the AC actuators or something behind the air ducts are constantly adjusting or something. Can only hear it when radio is off and fans are lower but it is noticeable. I was going to ask if it can be fixed at my next service.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Believe I also heard this on my 2019 Q8. But I also had similar issues on my 2001 A4. They progressively got worse to the point where turning on the air would sometimes make this awful sound until it finally opened up enough.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:38 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

May go down a rabbit hole here so bear with me…HVAC systems with an Auto button are complex, taking readings from a multitude of sensors, continuously adjusting air distribution throughout the vehicle. These flaps will continue to open and close in the auto position, whereas in the non-auto, most of the time they remain constant because you have chosen a specific output air temperate, at specific vents, and at a constant speed. This is why you will not hear this when you are not in Auto. I’m suspecting this is either from one or more of the flap actuators binding or rubbing on ducting housing. Duct flaps in many cars also have rubber surrounds for sealing when closed and to better control air distribution. If the rubber is catching on the inside of the duct housing, this could be causing the actuators to “skip a tooth or two” giving you that noise. Dealers can diagnose this. They have the ability to use dealer software to activate flaps individually for testing purposes and when finished perform a basic settings to re-learn all flaps’ end stop points the way your car seat adjusters learn their travel end stops. What they may not *want* to find here is a bad actuator on the main HVAC distribution unit requiring full disassembly of your center console and dash just to get to it. That is also if the part is available for replacement. If it isn’t, your car is taken apart in their service bay for who knows how long…They still need to identify which actuator is doing this, and then potentially scope the duct first before disassembly to see WHY it’s doing it. If it’s binding, is it a design issue with duct or flap shape, or is there a mounting problem with the actuator motor or gears? They need to notify the TAC. Document. Document. Document.

Last edited by Mrclopec; 06-13-2022 at 09:54 AM.
Emcicles (07-16-2023)
Old 12-10-2022, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey guys,
Has anybody been able to fix this noise? I started hearing it after about 10k, and it progressively got very annoying.
After some experimenting, I figured out that it is coming from several points under the dashboard when the air is set to come from the dash vents. There is no noise if the air is aimed to the windscreen and/or floor only. Most likely it's the door actuators in the dash.
I would raise this question at the annual service appointment, but my next one is due in 10 months; and I don't want to take my car in just for that, if there is no known solution.

Quick Reply: Q8 Weird Ac Actuator noise