Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 - Passenger side door vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q8 - Passenger side door vibrations

Hi fellow Audi owners.

So I've now had my 2019 Q8 for a little over two years - and what a ride it has been. For this being one of Audi's top of the line cars, it has been riddled with issues of all sorts.
While it drives, handles and looks great - the cabin build seems to be a much different matter. From vibrations in the B-pillars, dashboard molding issues with air inclusions all of a sudden forming bubbles, and now the last problem that the dealership (Sonic/Audi West Houston) has thrown in the towel on - A vibration in the passenger side door. The vibration is initiated when playing even moderate levels of any type of music that contains bass (rock, pop, techno and even classical). The dealership has changed the speaker (why I don't know), changed the door panel - with no changes at all.
Everybody there acknowledges the vibration, but at this stage they say that they have done everything that they can do.. The vibration is quite obvious - and it stops when you lay a finger softly on the panel with the window controls.
So my issue is - Audi has designed a car, including speaker system - that apparently can't even play music without creating resonance in the door panel.. but they won't acknowledge that apparently.

Has any of my fellow Q8 (or Q7 as that is basically the same door panels) owners experienced similar issues?
As if so, have they been able to find a fix for this?

A note shall be made that I have owned numerous Audis before this, and have NEVER had similar issues.

Thanks in advance,
A frustrated Audi owner
Old 06-04-2021, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It shall be noted that out of the little more than 2 years that I've had the vehicle, it has spent almost 8 months in shop...
Old 06-04-2021, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 792 Likes on 606 Posts

Go to a workshop that installs or upgrades audio systems in cars. They should deal with this by adding additional door damping to prevent resonance. For such a workshop, removing vibrations caused by the audio system should not be a problem.

Last edited by retom; 06-04-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a 2005 Allroad that had numerous issues which I documented with Audi USA directly and they ended up buying my vehicle back. Your 8 months definitely qualifies so ask your dealer for contact info of a Audi factory representative or suggest your dealer contact them as to a buyback

Last edited by White Shark; 06-04-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by White Shark
I had a 2005 Allroad that had numerous issues which I documented with Audi USA directly and they ended up buying my vehicle back. Your 8 months definitely qualifies so ask your dealer for contact info of a Audi factory representative or suggest your dealer contact them as to a buyback
I had 2 BMW buybacks !!
Old 06-04-2021, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I literally just today surrendered my RS5 back to Audi who repurchased it after being unable to fix this same resonance issue. I ran a tone generator program through the speakers and could recreate every time a kazoo like vibration between about 250-320 Hz that drove me crazy with talk radio and some music.
have an RSQ8 coming and will lose it if this happens again. Will be back to Porsche for sure if it happens again.
The following users liked this post:
SQ8westcoast (06-05-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by White Shark
2 years.. that’s past the cutoff. Has to be done within 18 months AFAIK.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I still insist that this problem can be finally resolved by experienced car audio installers. This is one of the simpler problems to solve.
Old 06-05-2021, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
I still insist that this problem can be finally resolved by experienced car audio installers. This is one of the simpler problems to solve.
oh I have no doubt you are correct. But after two unsuccessful attempts by the dealer to fix it I felt that a problem like this was not acceptable in an almost 100k car.
Obviously I am not in the auto engineering world but wouldn’t one think that a company in business as long as they, who arent known for making shabby products would have process in place to discover resonance issues like this?
Old 06-05-2021, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Macfly4
oh I have no doubt you are correct. But after two unsuccessful attempts by the dealer to fix it I felt that a problem like this was not acceptable in an almost 100k car.
Obviously I am not in the auto engineering world but wouldn’t one think that a company in business as long as they, who arent known for making shabby products would have process in place to discover resonance issues like this?
Theoretically you are 100% right. But such things happen also in $100K+ cars. Sometimes you have the misfortune to buy a so-called "Monday's car". If you want to make sure that such problems often occur, read the forums of the BMW X5, MB GLE or Porsche Cayenne. It is a poor consolation, but it shows the scale of the problem.
From experience, I am not convinced that car factory services are able to deal with unusual faults. Therefore, sometimes for the sake of peace, it is worth looking for help outside Audi dealerships. Yes, it should be fixed by Audi but consider your time, stress and costs so perhaps it is worth to try other solutions.

Quick Reply: Q8 - Passenger side door vibrations