Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Overall Reliability of Q8

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overall Reliability of Q8

After 15 years with Lexus, LS and (3) RX350s, I have the Q8 on top of my shop list for a car this fall. Love everything about it and am considering clean low mileage 2020-2021 models to save a few dollars.

Joined here and been reading about some issues with these models that freak me out a bit. Electrical and tech issues, etc. I drive a lot of long distance between homes in North Carolina, Florida, and Colorado. Breakdowns and issues are not an option with all the desolate areas I traverse constantly.

My Lexus vehicles were 100% reliable. Never a single issue ever. I usually buy them at around 10-15k mileage and trade out between 60-70k.

If I only stayed primarily in one location, I would have much less trepidation about going with a Q8, but would like some driver feedback here on how their Q8s from that period are doing. Do you frequently road-trip them over long distances?

Thank you!

Old 08-09-2023, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 401 Likes on 341 Posts

my opinion, an audi is not a toyota. toyota just has a different focus - yes lexus is a luxury toyota, but it's imo very much a toyota still mechanically. my dad & step mother have a highlander and an avalon they love them. before my dad had larger bmw and mercedes cars - 7 series & S class car. Since he has retired, he's just move into toyota - they make a very solid appliance car. it's like a dishwasher: nobody cares about it much, they primarily just want it to work. these larger german cars are a passion cars. they are luxury, yes, but many of the users really love them for different reasons than you'd love a reliable dishwasher. they are amazing cars and I don't think they are unreliable, but my guess is data would reflect toyota reliability is better - though less amazing. If reliability is the most important thing to you, I would stay with the japanese brands. If you want something amazing - you will like the german brands.

Last edited by ThomasWShea; 08-09-2023 at 02:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ThomasWShea:
angrypengu (08-10-2023), Ashkan (08-10-2023), jzhu625 (08-10-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 847 Likes on 604 Posts

The EA839 engine in the Q8 is near bulletproof and has been around since the B9 S4.

The main issue that is an unknown is the Belt Starter Generator. No one knows why that part is failing prematurely but most engines have their woes. I owned an Infiniti QX4 at one point which was a total POS reliability wise. No car is perfect.

I carry a spare BSG in my A8, but that's just me. RX's have their own problems too like with corrosion etc but I will certainly say the RX is probably more reliable. Then again so is an Etron but I have no desire to drive an appliance
The following 3 users liked this post by angrypengu:
Ashkan (08-10-2023), SeasideMusic (08-09-2023), ThomasWShea (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
my opinion, an audi is not a toyota. toyota just has a different focus - yes lexus is a luxury toyota, but it's imo very much a toyota still mechanically. my dad & step mother have a highlander and an avalon they love them. before my dad had larger bmw and mercedes cars - 7 series & S class car. Since he has retired, he's just move into toyota - they make a very solid appliance car. it's like a dishwasher: nobody cares about it much, they primarily just want it to work. these larger german cars are a passion cars. they are luxury, yes, but many of the users really love them for different reasons than you'd love a reliable dishwasher. they are amazing cars and I don't think they are unreliable, but my guess is data would reflect toyota reliability is better - though less amazing. If reliability is the most important thing to you, I would stay with the japanese brands. If you want something amazing - you will like the german brands.
Beautifully put. I completely understand what you're saying and appreciate your time and thoughts in this. thank you.
Old 08-14-2023, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

We've had a '19 Q8 for almost four years. As a basic car, it's terrific. Comfortable, great road car, good handling. Where Audi falls down is on the electronics and programming. Pedal tip in, while somewhat improved with a programing update, is still not good. Unless you use the S mode, the tranny runs through the gears awkwardly and too quickly. My MB is worlds better. The almost all glass control setup is frustrating. You have to look away from the road to change controls, and the voice control feature is just ok. We've had many electronic gremlins that seem to come and go. You already know about the starter/alternator problem which now has an extended warranty, but if it blows up while we're transiting between homes, that will be a disaster. Lastly, Audi is way to slow to acknowledge problems. The dealers have been ok, but Audi management is so slow to respond to what are obvious problems. They should follow this forum. You will have figured out that we're not getting another Audi. We had a series of Acura's that were rock dependable. I don't know what will be our next brand, but I know what it won't be. FWIW.

Steve
Old 08-14-2023, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I will have to see if I can re-find the article, but the VP in charge of software at audi stepped down or was let go. My understanding from a connection that use to work in software at audi was that way back, when software was becoming more prevalent in cars, Audi was facing a decision of hiring software people to come in to develop and run the software part of their business, or go their own way and develop their own software methods. They decided to go their own way. Other companies didn't do this - and hired software people. My read on things looking back is that was a mistake - - to go their own way. Car software is legacy, and I think they should have hired true software people at the top.

But again Acura - you're talking about a japanese brand. It's a different market and you land more in the appliance side, again, as with toyota. Very reliable, very dependable. We are talking about small differences, but one or two events is enough to turn an owner off, and get them to share their dissatisfaction far and wide.
Old 08-14-2023, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 795 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
I will have to see if I can re-find the article, but the VP in charge of software at audi stepped down or was let go. My understanding from a connection that use to work in software at audi was that way back, when software was becoming more prevalent in cars, Audi was facing a decision of hiring software people to come in to develop and run the software part of their business, or go their own way and develop their own software methods. They decided to go their own way. Other companies didn't do this - and hired software people. My read on things looking back is that was a mistake - - to go their own way. Car software is legacy, and I think they should have hired true software people at the top.

But again Acura - you're talking about a japanese brand. It's a different market and you land more in the appliance side, again, as with toyota. Very reliable, very dependable. We are talking about small differences, but one or two events is enough to turn an owner off, and get them to share their dissatisfaction far and wide.
Read other forums like Mercedes BMW or even Porsche. Most car manufacturers have problems with new software. We are all beta testers and hence the annoying bugs and constant updates of this software.
On the other hand, Japanese manufacturers have less of these problems, but the software in these cars is usually 1-2 generations older than what is installed by German manufacturers.
BTW, Audi fired their chief software engineer mainly due to problems with the Q6 software. Q6 was supposed to be presented a long time ago, but due to bad software, the presentation was delayed by at least a year.
Old 08-14-2023, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 202 Likes on 154 Posts

in the 16 months of owning my SQ8 i would have to admit this has been an exceptional ownership vs the 8 BMWs owned previously . One absolute hilite is the quality of the sheet metal paint and body work . All my BMWs got that "warbled" body around the door handles
Old 08-14-2023, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah my prior audi, the body work was so on point. I never paid attention until about 2019 when a buddy of my wanted to check out a tesla, boy what total garbage that car was. total junk body work. junk interior. you could crush the doors w ur hands. very flimsy interior compared to audi.

the japanese cars have nicer interior than the tesla, but they are still nothing like the audi. the seats wear down quick. they must use cheaper foam & leather. my point of reference are my dad’s two toyotas. interior has cheap screens w poor viewing angle, cheap plastic and vinyl where they can get away with it. cheap feeling controls. but it works, very reliably.
The following users liked this post:
SQ8westcoast (08-15-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I think Audi's in general are very reliable and I have never had to do any major repairs mechanically on any of them that I owned. I had a 1998 A8 I put 160K on, a 2006 A6 I put 120k on, a 2012 A6 I put 130k on and now my 2019 Q8 I'm at about 40k on and zero problems. I also think the materials they use are the best, and I love their clean modern design. I just think Audis are the best designed and built cars out there which is why I keep going back to them.

Quick Reply: Overall Reliability of Q8