Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Ordered an SQ8

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Ordered an SQ8

Well, after much contemplation I decided to order an SQ8. I was originally set on getting another S7, but after hearing about the SQ8 coming out (especially with the 500 HP V8) I quickly changed my mind.

I was able to negotiate a measly $1,000 off of MSRP from a dealer two hours away from me (actually, the same dealer I got my current S7 from). Of the two local dealers near me, one said no discount and the other said he would charge me OVER MSRP. Okay...this isn't the RS6. But, like any new release, if you can wait a few months, the dealers will be more willing to negotiate. Unfortunately for me, my lease on my S7 precludes me from waiting (it ends at about the same time the SQ8 is due to arrive), but at least I'm not paying MSRP. However, I placed this order blind as the MSRP hasn't even been announced yet.

My build is:
​​​​
  • Glacier White
  • Arras Red Interior
  • Prestige
  • Black Optics
  • Sports Package
  • Carbon Vector Inlays
  • Rear Side Airbags
Can't wait...
The following 5 users liked this post by Frenetic:
audi40 (02-08-2020), BigBoy11 (02-08-2020), critter6835 (02-08-2020), gk1 (02-11-2020), jrjunior31 (02-08-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 09:33 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Ah, the first of many S6/S7 converts.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Seems insane to buy a car so close to MSRP. There are many dealerships that will gladly sell SQ8s at invoice all day long. Sounds like you need to look beyond your local dealerships to actually get a reasonable deal. These cars will soon pile up on lots and they won't be able to give them away after the initial wave of buyers. The Q8 hasn't been the seller Audi hoped.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:20 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenetic
Well, after much contemplation I decided to order an SQ8. I was originally set on getting another S7, but after hearing about the SQ8 coming out (especially with the 500 HP V8) I quickly changed my mind.

I was able to negotiate a measly $1,000 off of MSRP from a dealer two hours away from me (actually, the same dealer I got my current S7 from). Of the two local dealers near me, one said no discount and the other said he would charge me OVER MSRP. Okay...this isn't the RS6. But, like any new release, if you can wait a few months, the dealers will be more willing to negotiate. Unfortunately for me, my lease on my S7 precludes me from waiting (it ends at about the same time the SQ8 is due to arrive), but at least I'm not paying MSRP. However, I placed this order blind as the MSRP hasn't even been announced yet.

My build is:
​​​​
  • Glacier White
  • Arras Red Interior
  • Prestige
  • Black Optics
  • Sports Package
  • Carbon Vector Inlays
  • Rear Side Airbags
Can't wait...
Is pricing published now? My dealer did not have pricing when I placed my order a few weeks ago. (USA).
Old 02-11-2020, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Seems insane to buy a car so close to MSRP. There are many dealerships that will gladly sell SQ8s at invoice all day long. Sounds like you need to look beyond your local dealerships to actually get a reasonable deal. These cars will soon pile up on lots and they won't be able to give them away after the initial wave of buyers. The Q8 hasn't been the seller Audi hoped.
And you know this how? Seeing as how there hasn’t been a single one sold much less delivered, this opinion isn’t very valid. There have been some orders placed but no pricing as yet. As to Q8 sales nationwide, it’s quite a decent seller looking at the stats.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
And you know this how? Seeing as how there hasn’t been a single one sold much less delivered, this opinion isn’t very valid. There have been some orders placed but no pricing as yet. As to Q8 sales nationwide, it’s quite a decent seller looking at the stats.
Q8 sales have been very disappointing as a whole. Certain areas have had better success than others, but in many places they are a complete flop. Seeing as this is a very niche vehicle it will always sell in very low numbers to begin with. Sales numbers continue to fall as time passes after launch, so there is zero chance SQ8s will be flying off lots. Not as this price level for Audi. My opinion is based on years of experience in the industry as well as talking with my local dealer who I'm very good friends with (and had the #1 selling Audi Sport salesman in the region employed there). They see zero chance this will be a vehicle in demand and indeed will "pile up". They are completely uninterested in having many stock units, because they will just eat up inventory dollars. They literally can't give away RS5s. RS models, from a national standpoint, are doing very poorly for Audi in America. Don't just look at aggregated sales numbers. Look at Audi projections, regional performance, etc....it's not good numbers for Audi. If they can't mover regular Q8s, a more expensive one with performance most of it's target buyers aren't asking for is sure to not be an impressive seller. Audi Sport was supposed to be a big deal in America, at least that was the plan years ago when they began planning this push forward years ago. It's gone terrible. So poorly that he SQ7 was brought into existence last minute to try to bolster sales. Audi breaking even on Q8 cars is questionable at this point. It helps when you have inside sources on which to base your opinions.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree, I rarely see Q8s near me and I’m in yuppie central.

I think a big reason, in my opinion, is that the engine is underpowered for such an expensive, non third-row SUV. If the Q8 came standard with the S4 engine at 350 HP, the price premium would be MORE worth it in the eyes of potential buyers. It’s like the A8 with the same engine: who the heck wants to spend that much for an engine that pitiful? I wouldn’t. Audi’s aren’t necessarily like BMWs, that grossly underrates their engines, either, so even if you get a 335 HP BMW straight six, you know it’s going to be fast. Audi underestimated the engines/HP requirements in a lot of their high-end cars and it shows. Take me for example, I’m buying this simply because of the engine.

I also agree that discounts will be aplenty on these models, but unfortunately for me, my lease timing is off. Anyone who buys a car before it’s even released will typically get stuck paying a premium, either because they really want it or, like me, have little choice.

I’m still stoked though, just got my first email order update.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Q8 sales have been very disappointing as a whole. Certain areas have had better success than others, but in many places they are a complete flop. Seeing as this is a very niche vehicle it will always sell in very low numbers to begin with. Sales numbers continue to fall as time passes after launch,...." .
Well then the U.S. Market is bucking the trend! Deliveries started in October of 2018; in 2019 Oct sales were 6 times that of 2018. November 2019 vs 2018, sales up 33%, December 2019 sales up 54% vs 2018.
They are far outselling the X6 which started the segment. In 2019 the Audi sold 3.3 times as many Q8's in the U.S vs X6's.
The following 4 users liked this post by Lucci:
BigBoy11 (02-12-2020), BreedsAs (02-20-2020), jcitriniti (02-13-2020), SteveA5Q8etron (02-28-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I ended up ordering another SQ8 from a different dealer because they offered me 6% off of MSRP. Same build, but it will be coming in August, which means I'll have to pay another years registration and two more lease payments on my S7. However, it's still cheaper than getting the original SQ8 in July with just $1k off of MSRP.
The following users liked this post:
SteveA5Q8etron (02-28-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

Your initial dealer is really greedy for allowing you to walk over that 5%.
At least you finally got what you wanted.
I'm still wondering if I want the S or RSQ8. Then at RS pricing, the RS7 starts to sound real good too.

Quick Reply: Ordered an SQ8