Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Flutter helicopter noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer said they felt it was water in the exhaust didnt change it

this is my neighbors car I be a RS Q8 and have no issues but I know there are differences between theirs being a Q8
Old 09-18-2022, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the fuel pump in the tank. Mine clicks on incline or at specific fuel measurements (half tank or lower).
Old 09-18-2022, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

Can it also be heard from within the vehicle? I 2nd the “sounds like exhaust leak” / or some other exhaust issue. I have had cars where the exhaust components are kinda complex, I have not looked into the Q8 exhaust but start with the obvious. Drilling holes in the exhaust is not a proper solution. they need to diagnose the issue. the dealer should know they deal with these cars all the time…

Beyond that what comes to mind going back to basics is anything else that involves the movement of air thru the vehicles mechanical parts. air intake components? vacuum line leak? it sounds like something with air flow is not sealed or does not have the correct pressure so when that happens air gets sucked in or pushed out to equalize the pressure. that happening at a certain rate could result in a audible flutter. just based on the sound of it: it screams exhaust.

I
Old 09-27-2022, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Debp
Hi
have a noise on a 2021 Q8 with under 20k on it
makes like flutter or muffled helicopter noise when in drive
usually occurs after long drive say 75 miles and goes away if car is put in park

i do have audio video but not sure I can post it here but will try
@MurphyAudi1 may be experiencing something similar, do you have the sport resonator kit too?
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...t-kit-3046156/
Old 05-19-2023, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you end up finding out the noise was from? I have the same issue on a new 2023 with 4K miles.
Old 05-20-2023, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SteveMO
What did you end up finding out the noise was from? I have the same issue on a new 2023 with 4K miles.
Sadly the car was sold since the dealership could never rectify the problem
The following users liked this post:
SteveMO (05-20-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

@SteveMO do you have the sport exhaust? If yes, that is the first thing I would check. There have been bad installs for it with loose bolts from the port install process, as well as other noises that it has created for some.
SteveMO (06-06-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

If the noise is at idle when say at a stop light and sounds like it’s coming from the rear seat passenger side floor it is the fuel tank. There is a TSB on it but I am not sure if there is a fix. It is something to do with the charcoal filter in the fuel tank that makes noise when at idle and at a certain fuel level, seems to be around a half tank. The TSB is for all Q8 models. I have had my fuel tank replaced but still have the issue. If I keep a full tank of fuel it seems to eliminate the noise or less than half tank does as well.
The sound is like an exhaust leak. I have videos inside and outside the vehicle of the noise. I have to go to the dealer Monday and will try and get a copy of the TSB.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_6140.mov (13.87 MB, 143 views)
SteveMO (06-06-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pete_SQ8
If the noise is at idle when say at a stop light and sounds like it’s coming from the rear seat passenger side floor it is the fuel tank. There is a TSB on it but I am not sure if there is a fix. It is something to do with the charcoal filter in the fuel tank that makes noise when at idle and at a certain fuel level, seems to be around a half tank. The TSB is for all Q8 models. I have had my fuel tank replaced but still have the issue. If I keep a full tank of fuel it seems to eliminate the noise or less than half tank does as well.
The sound is like an exhaust leak. I have videos inside and outside the vehicle of the noise. I have to go to the dealer Monday and will try and get a copy of the TSB.
Please if you get the TSB let me know.
my friend sold her Q8 as a result of this but I still have my RSQ8 and may have heard it once.
Old 05-20-2023, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Debp
Please if you get the TSB let me know.
my friend sold her Q8 as a result of this but I still have my RSQ8 and may have heard it once.
I plan to get the TSB number and a copy of they will give me one and will share with all.
Debp (05-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Flutter helicopter noise