Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

AU: Regretting buying SQ8 and wanting RS Q8

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 12:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default AU: Regretting buying SQ8 and wanting RS Q8

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and looking for some input.

I'm from Australia and I recently just put a deposit a few days ago on a used 2022 SQ8 that is pretty loaded with options - dynamic package, sensory package, etc. The car has low kms (15,000) and was priced quite low- probably the best deal that I've seen in a while.

The problem is that I've always wanted a RSQ8 and now that I've put a deposit on the SQ8 I can't help but think I should have paid more (extra 30-40k here) and gotten a RSQ8. The money is not an issue for me. There are a few things that I have been contemplating over the last few days:

1. I will always yearn for the RSQ8.
2. Resale (Will the RSQ8 have better resale than the SQ8?)
3. Used RSQ8s I am looking at have twice the mileage (30,000km vs 15,000km) and are all 2020/2021 models. Is the higher mileage an issue?

I also like the look of the RSQ8 a lot more. I was planning to change the grill and add a front lip splitter to the SQ8 and tbh I'd be happy with the finished product, but for those who have driven both the RSQ8 and the SQ8, is the difference in driving and feel worth the extra money?

I have driven both cars (only for about 5 to 10 minutes each), and tbh I like both. Obviously the RSQ8 is more special. But am I making a mistake with this SQ8 purchase?

Appreciate any input

The following 2 users liked this post by hornayud:
JMaePark (12-05-2023), ricdroc (04-26-2024)
Old 12-05-2023, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Not sure what you except people to tell you here ...

You already mentioned money is not an issue. From experience I can tell you, that you will never be fully happy with a substitute for what you really want ..... Every time I do that, I end up regretting it and buying twice ...
The following 3 users liked this post by tomaszp72:
Ashkan (12-12-2023), JMaePark (12-05-2023), Mrclopec (12-05-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 488 Likes on 311 Posts

Many people will tell you that Audi's S cars are just like the RS cars, but with less power. Therefore, they say, you can tune the S car and save a bunch of money. My own experience is that the RS cars have plenty of upgrades throughout the car to justify the extra cost. Some are visible, but many are not. Some will disagree with me but, having owned both S and RS cars, they are not the same on many levels. If money is not an issue, and performance is a priority, the RS cars will always be better.
The following users liked this post:
JMaePark (12-05-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

im confused...if money is not an issue why is resale a concern?

Throw a tune in it and boom....RSQ8. Take off the badges, change out the grill and off you go with a few bucks in your pocket to boot!

or ill go this way with it....if RSQ8 is a non issue, why not just jump to Urus?
SQ8westcoast (12-05-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the SQ8 better, prefer the diamond stick seats and the quad tips. Also like the front better. Driving day to day you’re not going to notice much difference on the engine. At least I didn’t when I drove them it was more appearance differences to me.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

for the US SQ8's there is no BSG timebomb. I tune all of my cars anyway so I started with a used 2020 SQ8 and tuned it, added Maxton aero/trim pieces, aftermarket wheels to get the look I liked at less than half the cost of a new (or used) RSQ8. It also makes it a bit of a sleeper lol. As far as resale buy the car for yourself, not for the next guy. If you want the RSQ8 then stretch for it. Either way you're going to get a great vehicle, we are very fortunate for this!
Old 12-05-2023, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I made a mistake saying that 'money is not an issue'. What I meant was that I am willing to pay the extra 30-35k or so for a used RSQ8.

Old 12-05-2023, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

I'm personally of the opinion that for the most part the S and RS models are too similar, because many share mostly the same engine just with different power levels achieved by an additional turbo or more boost with few exceptions. Even the sport differential can be had in both. The SQ8 and RSQ8 have the same V8 and transmission so for the most part there isn't much of a difference in the driving experience until you tap into the extra power that the RS offers. I owned a 2013 RS5 and a large part of owning it for me was that it had a fundamentally different powertrain from the S5 at the time. They were very different cars. The S5 had a low revving, supercharged V6, while the RS5 had a naturally aspirated, high revving V8. Even just driving around on a daily basis, the driving experience was fundamentally different. Nowadays, the S5 and RS5 are just too similar. Yes, there are some other upgrades such as different suspension, more aggressive tuning of the sport differential, better engine mapping etc., but those things are mostly only noticed when you actually start taking it closer to the limits. In normal driving you don't get much additional value for the extra money, and the RS models will be less comfortable due to the firmer suspension.

For perspective, I don't just have this opinion about Audi S/RS vehicles. I have a similar opinion about AMGs now that I own one, but slightly different. AMG at least up until now clearly differentiated the 43/53 models from the 63 models. The latter have a hand-built AMG V8 and a unique multi clutch transmission along with electronic locking rear differentials, whereas the 43/53 have regular MB 6 cylinder engines with a tune, open differentials and torque converter automatics, so again a very different experience between a 63 and the lower 43/53 models. However, the various different 63 models largely offer the same driving experience, whether it's a C63, E63 and even the GT 2-door. The only difference is largely the power level and the different dynamics due to the weight of the cars, chassis differences and RWD vs AWD. The GT coupe also has a dual clutch vs the other 63 models have the multi clutch transmission, so that makes it feel a little different. I've pretty much driven them all, so this is based on personal experience as well.

It comes down to what you gonna use the car for. For example I largely chose the C63S coupe over any of the other AMGs, because I wanted RWD while most of the 43/53/63 models are AWD, and the 2-seater GT coupe just isn't as good of a road car as the C63. Ask yourself whether the kind of driving you gonna do is getting you anything from what the RS offers over the S. As said above, you could even take this another level up with the Urus, which is largely an RSQ8 for a lot more money with a Lambo badge and a body kit, at least for what they are being used. Most Urus owners I see drive from home to work and go get their groceries. What a waste of money. It was a similar situation with the R8 vs the Huracan, but the R8 was the less rich a-hole car than the Huracan.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-06-2023 at 09:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
ecloumd (12-05-2023), hornayud (12-10-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My two cents... - When I wake up I can't wait to drive my RSQ8. That feeling hasn't worn off and I have had it for over a year now. I don't know much about the SQ8 but I assume it doesn't have the same aggressive feeling that the rsq8 does when you put it in RS mode. I like that aggressive/harsh feel... I only drive in comfort when I'm on a long drive.
brushin20911 (12-11-2023)