Audi Q4 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi Q4 e-tron SUV.

Q4 Performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Q4 Performance

Hi folks, I test drove the Q4 50 last year, but it was a rather brief drive. I was wondering if any owners out there have any insight on its overall performance, especially starting out from a complete stop as well as entering highways? I am assuming with the new 335hp motor, it should be fairly quick without hesitation.My current Q5e has the annoying habit of hesitating when starting off intermittently, which may be the result of the engine switching be EV and gas mode. Thinking about going with a Q4 next year when my lease expires.Thanks for the insight.
Old 04-22-2024, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wstevecollins54
Hi folks, I test drove the Q4 50 last year, but it was a rather brief drive. I was wondering if any owners out there have any insight on its overall performance, especially starting out from a complete stop as well as entering highways? I am assuming with the new 335hp motor, it should be fairly quick without hesitation.My current Q5e has the annoying habit of hesitating when starting off intermittently, which may be the result of the engine switching be EV and gas mode. Thinking about going with a Q4 next year when my lease expires.Thanks for the insight.
We kept our Q5 when we brought our Q4 e-tron 50 home. There’s a huge difference in the quality of the acceleration. The e-tron is much quicker off the line…
Old 04-22-2024, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by wstevecollins54
Any EV will have quicker response simply due to the instant torque of an EV drive system. I used to have a Q5e and it was always a bit sluggish at low speeds. My SQ5 was quicker even though it had less HP.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

If you put it in Dynamic mode, the acceleration from a complete stop is pretty darn fast, perhaps not as quick as other EVs with 0-60 in the 4-second range but more than perfectly adequate. You should get the new 2024.5 Q4 e-tron 55 which not only gives you better acceleration, but also gives you 22 more miles of EPA range, all at the same MSRP. If I had known that the 55 model was coming out so soon, I would have extended my previous Audi lease by 3 months. I don't know if the lease terms would be the same, but I would get the 55 model for the better range alone.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Agreed

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
If you put it in Dynamic mode, the acceleration from a complete stop is pretty darn fast, perhaps not as quick as other EVs with 0-60 in the 4-second range but more than perfectly adequate. You should get the new 2024.5 Q4 e-tron 55 which not only gives you better acceleration, but also gives you 22 more miles of EPA range, all at the same MSRP. If I had known that the 55 model was coming out so soon, I would have extended my previous Audi lease by 3 months. I don't know if the lease terms would be the same, but I would get the 55 model for the better range alone.
That’s exactly what I am thinking of doing next year as I plan to end my current lease a few months early. I originally ordered a Q4 50 and very much liked its performance during my all too brief test drive. I already made arrangements with my salesperson for a longer test drive during my Q5e service next month. At these prices, they should offer a more extensive test drive. In the old days, a full day or overnight test drive were possible in some cases. I was rather negligent last year as I didn’t even test Q5e since I was away for the winter. FYI: I switched my order from the Q4 50 due to charging concerns which aren’t as great with more fast charging available with Tesla charging stations becoming available as well as my personal charging issues. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

EVs have great acceleration from 0-60 but power drops off significantly after reaching highway speeds as the rpms of the motor are not in an ideal range at that point. The Taycan/E-tron GT address this by adding a second gear to keep the electric motor in the power band at highway speeds but this also reduces efficiency.

Also, Porsche, Audi and VW do not believe in making maximum power available from a standing start so the power is eased in more gently which can add a small amount of time to the 0-60 number while maximizing comfort and reducing wear. They are all very fast or at least reasonably fast.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally, I’m still wanting to find rationale behind Audi not allowing to use the power “boost” unless the battery has a SoC of at least 88%…(?)