Audi Q4 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi Q4 e-tron SUV.

How the Q4 e-tron handles regenerative braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 538 Likes on 399 Posts
Default How the Q4 e-tron handles regenerative braking

As an owner of a Quattro 55, I've been interested in learning how the Q4 etron differs in what options it has for regenerative braking. In looking at reviews, it seems like the Q4 has moved the "shift to S Mode" function from being a second tug back on the gear selector to being in a foot switch next to the accelerator pedal. Now, in the Q4: 1) if you pull back once on the shifter into D, the car acts like the quattro 55, where the car Coasts when no pedal is touched and all regen resides in the brake pedal (this is with the paddle shifter set in its Coast positon). In versions with the paddle shifters, you can select to move a portion of the regen to engage in the accelerator as you lift off the accelerator pedal. (It isn't clear to me as to how many paddle settings there are. In both cars the lowest setting is Coast. The Quattro 55 has two other settings in the paddles for about 25 and 50% regen transfer. The Q4 may have and additional setting?); 2) the BIG difference between the two cars is that in the Q4, when you do a second tug on the gear selector (which puts you into S on the Quattro 55) that puts the car into "BRAKE MODE". No longer can the car be made to Coast, but rather it basically moves the car into "One Pedal" driving mode, with really aggressive regen in the Accelerator pedal, which will itself slow the car quickly down to "creep" levels. I do not know if the Paddle Shifters work at all when you are in the "B" mode. Does this sound correct?
The following users liked this post:
dave234 (09-04-2023)
Old 10-01-2021, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by JNealCox
As an owner of a Quattro 55, I've been interested in learning how the Q4 etron differs in what options it has for regenerative braking. In looking at reviews, it seems like the Q4 has moved the "shift to S Mode" function from being a second tug back on the gear selector to being in a foot switch next to the accelerator pedal. Now, in the Q4: 1) if you pull back once on the shifter into D, the car acts like the quattro 55, where the car Coasts when no pedal is touched and all regen resides in the brake pedal (this is with the paddle shifter set in its Coast positon). In versions with the paddle shifters, you can select to move a portion of the regen to engage in the accelerator as you lift off the accelerator pedal. (It isn't clear to me as to how many paddle settings there are. In both cars the lowest setting is Coast. The Quattro 55 has two other settings in the paddles for about 25 and 50% regen transfer. The Q4 may have and additional setting?); 2) the BIG difference between the two cars is that in the Q4, when you do a second tug on the gear selector (which puts you into S on the Quattro 55) that puts the car into "BRAKE MODE". No longer can the car be made to Coast, but rather it basically moves the car into "One Pedal" driving mode, with really aggressive regen in the Accelerator pedal, which will itself slow the car quickly down to "creep" levels. I do not know if the Paddle Shifters work at all when you are in the "B" mode. Does this sound correct?
I don't believe the paddle shifters work in B mode.
The following 2 users liked this post by hrc1079:
dave234 (09-04-2023), rarewolf (09-04-2023)
Old 02-15-2022, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interested in the Q4 for my wife, and one thing I hate about the Tesla is the fact that you can no longer turn regen "off", for instance, for days where you are driving on super slippery/black ice filled roads. Regen is a nightmare in those situations.

Can you select to turn off regen on the Q4?
Old 02-15-2022, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by pbcsd
Interested in the Q4 for my wife, and one thing I hate about the Tesla is the fact that you can no longer turn regen "off", for instance, for days where you are driving on super slippery/black ice filled roads. Regen is a nightmare in those situations.

Can you select to turn off regen on the Q4?
My understanding is that you can put the Q4 into "coast" mode, like in the Quattro Etron, where all regen is in the brake pedal. Then, it would just be like braking in an ICE vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
Havnap (03-11-2023)
Old 05-30-2022, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I came across an interesting squib reading about the maintenance cost for the Model Y. Every two years a service, consisting of cleaning and lubrication, of the brake calipers is required for cars not in the sunbelt. Evidently, the one-pedal mode results in so much less exercising of the calipers that periodic maintenance is needed. The cost is comparable to that of an oil change. The lesson I take from this is that something less than "one-pedal-driving" might be a good idea.
Old 06-11-2022, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

For me the biggest difference is

1. B mode is a better way for the one that likes one-pedal driving. (I don't)
2. D-Mode dynamic lets you set a fixed regen level (0,1,2,3) and it will remember it even after hitting the accelerator
3. The blending is not as good as on the e-tron at low speeds. You feel the switching to physicals brake more.

Audi Q4 e-tron brakes & recuperation :: electrichasgoneaudi.net

How to use one-pedal driving on electric Audis :: electrichasgoneaudi.net
Old 09-20-2022, 06:50 AM
vqv
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This article from the Audi Technology Portal explains how regenerative braking works on the Q4 and how it varies with both drive mode and gear.
https://www.audi-technology-portal.d...ectric-quattro.

In gear B (brake), the drive almost always recuperates when coasting but not when the car is at a standstill. The limit is hit at 0.15 g of deceleration. If “dynamic” mode is set in the optional Audi drive select dynamic handling system (standard in the Sportback), recuperation also takes place in gear D but at a slightly weaker rate than in B.

The optional shift paddles on the steering wheel enable the driver to select three different manual recuperation levels in position D – 0.06 g, 0.10 g, and 0.15 g.
​​​​​​​
Old 09-20-2022, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by vqv
This article from the Audi Technology Portal explains how regenerative braking works on the Q4 and how it varies with both drive mode and gear.
https://www.audi-technology-portal.d...ectric-quattro.

​​​​​​​
Interesting. When I test drove the Q4 I felt like the strength of deceleration in B mode seemed to be about the same as the 3rd paddle setting...
Old 08-24-2023, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting. When I test drove the Q4 I felt like the strength of deceleration in B mode seemed to be about the same as the 3rd paddle setting...
I cannot imagine my question having gone not yet answered, but this thread comes close…

My question… Is it really true that the highest paddle regen mode is no different than the shifter’s ‘B’ mode? That is, I cannot imagine Audi engineers creating for the driver 2 one-pedal driving modes that, in practice, offer no difference in behaviour(?) For example, say you’re in manual recuperation and paddle #2 regen mode (#3 being highest). What’s the difference now from going to paddle #3 or choosing ‘B’ mode?
Old 08-28-2023, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by rarewolf
I cannot imagine my question having gone not yet answered, but this thread comes close…

My question… Is it really true that the highest paddle regen mode is no different than the shifter’s ‘B’ mode? That is, I cannot imagine Audi engineers creating for the driver 2 one-pedal driving modes that, in practice, offer no difference in behaviour(?) For example, say you’re in manual recuperation and paddle #2 regen mode (#3 being highest). What’s the difference now from going to paddle #3 or choosing ‘B’ mode?
Slapping the paddles down or up is easy to do with your hands on the wheel and allows somewhat finer control. I use them frequently, albeit in efficiency mode so it reverts to coasting once I touch the throttle again… it wasn't until this thread that I learned that Dynamic doesn't work the same way, and I'll be doing some experimentation.

B mode I do not use, despite coming from a Tesla and enjoying one-pedal driving.

I think the difference for me is that the audi will not come to a complete stop and hold with B-mode, so it's basically pointless to me.

Last edited by grue; 08-28-2023 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: How the Q4 e-tron handles regenerative braking