Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

transmisson CRACKED !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmisson CRACKED !!!

ok so i was putting on the b5 6 speed today, and it wouldnt go all the way on as if something was blocking it, my idea is because i also put on the b5 s4 clutch flywheel and pressure plate, which is a little bigger overall than our stock ones, and i think thats the reason for it not slipping on? is this possible that the problem could be the b5 parts and i have to use the stock flywheel pressure plate and clutch?

....so then while putting all this on, i had the whole transmission about half an inch from going on and i think the problem is as i stated above, but i started tightening the bolts, and as i was doing the left side, i was tightening the bolt and the bell housing cracked? now im clueless what to do, can this be welded back together? any ideas for this happening?
Old 05-12-2009, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

That sucks...all is not lost. I had an Opel GT back in the day and a friend came over while I was installing the tranny. I didn't pay enough attention to what I was doing and Bango busted the bell. I was very fortunate to have another friend who was an excellent welder. I ended up putting close to 60000 miles on it with no trouble at all then sold it. Should've kept it...same old story. Any pics?
Old 05-12-2009, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Almost anything can be welded! Just takes the right skill and equipment.

[QUOTE=eric7soccer;23786678]can this be welded back together?QUOTE]

It's just aluminum. Must good welders should be able to fix it if it's not too bad. I had a cracked Fuch fixed for $25. Still on the car with no problems.

Got any pics of the break?
Old 05-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Lesson learned the hard way.

Originally Posted by eric7soccer
i had the whole transmission about half an inch from going on and.........i started tightening the bolts,...................and the bell housing cracked............any ideas for this happening?
Any trans on any car should have COMPLETE contact between the bellhousing and block before any bolt tightening. If it doesn't meet up on its own, somethings not right.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

yeah, i knew something was wrong when i started to tighten the bolts before it was even touching both sides, and this is what i get, but my uncle has a huge steel company and they weld very good, so i was just wondering if this material can be welded i dont know if its cast aluminum or what and if that can be welded, but thats my best bet and ill go about tommorrow morning doing that, ill get some pics in the day tom of the before and after pics i guess.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default maybe, with........

Super Alloy 5
Old 05-12-2009, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by js0ne
thanks ill see what my uncle has to say about this
Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This happened to kinderutz when he installed the wrong LUK pressure plate and clutch (it was too thick, designed for a single mass flywheel). Are you sure that the clutcht disk you used was for a dual mass flywheel? In any event, I think you would have been better (safer) to use a C4 S4 clutch than the B5 S4 clutch.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

The sucks, but IIRC there is a spacer that goes on the S4 trans between the engine and trans, which is where the extra 1/2 inch is taken up.

Even if the B5 s4 flywheel bolted up and fit in the trans it has no reference pins for the AAN ECM, so it would not have worked anyway.

We've had a few high dollar cases repaired and it required the trans be stripped to it's case, and then bolted to a block to get the bellhousng mating surface square and flush and then the ends of the cracks drilled and the crack ground out prior to welding. If you just weld up crack it will travel and if you don't grind out the crack and fill with filler material you will have poor weld penetration and it will likely crack when the casting cools or as it heat cycles. You also need to get the area absolutley clean, using brake or carb cleaner to soak up the oil that has seeped into the pores of the casting.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Former Vendor

To clarify there is no spacer installed on C4S4's. On RS2's and B5S4's, yes.

Quick Reply: transmisson CRACKED !!!