Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Thinking of changing my suspension..Currently running H&R race on bilstein sports

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of changing my suspension..Currently running H&R race on bilstein sports

I need to find another S-car to take a ride in but I think I am going to change my suspension this summer. I'm thinking 92 springs and bilstein HD's.

I don't really want to give up the stance of the H&Rs but I'm sick of crappy roads around the north east and feeling like all I have are bump stops. I can feel my car being beaten as I try to avoid every little crack and imperfection in the road.

Does anyone feel the same?
What routes have you folks taken?
Old 02-25-2009, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Are you running 17s?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The Bilsteins are a big part of your problem- sell them and get Konis.

I've run stock, Konis, and Bilsteins on these cars and always felt the valving on the Bilsteins was off- too harsh on bump and too soft on rebound, at least for the springs I've run them with.

I'm about to pull the Bilsteins off my S6 Avant- they're way too harsh for the stock springs. By way of comparison, my sedan with Eibachs and Konis is waaayyy lower, but rides much better.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default good friend sold his 92 UrS4 in VT because the roads were too much for sport suspension.

so you're in good company, but I wouldn't be so sure the stock sport suspension is the answer.

the fact is on roads like that the firm springs increase the abuse on the other stuff too - aka strut mounts / bearings / links / bushings etc. which was a big factor for him - he'd dump a bunch of money on fixes then it would all be pounded to **** 12 months later...

I'm pretty sure he woulda been able to get by if he had the later stock suspension.

I'm guessing city-dweller/flat-landers will ring in to the effect of 'don't be a *****, high ride height is for **** (not that there's anything wrong with that)' etc. but having lived in those parts for years it's a whole different deal and if you haven't lived there you don't understand. in fact I sold my own 4KCSQ because of clearance and suspension travel issues in spring & fall... if you live in a city and spend 90% of your driving on the best roads, highways, and interstate, OK maybe you can get by, but for anybody with a real life you end up spending a lot of time driving on mountain gap roads and dirt backroads etc. etc. etc.

I'd suggest you just go with the later OEM springs and bilstein HD's while you're doing your gig up there.

The just shelve your HR+Sports setup for when you relocate down the road... OR if you can go for a second car and leave the S4 setup for good road driving / track etc.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have HD's or Sport on the Avant? I think the HD's are great with OEM springs on mine...
Old 02-25-2009, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I,m running Konis and 92 springs, in Quebec. It doesn,t get worse than that,but

the ride is wife compliant, and it sticks like **** to a baby blanket.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Dunno, the PO installed them. I should be able to check the rears tomorrow though.

I'll post when I know either way.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Agreed. I've posted this before, but my instructor at Mid-Ohio had an S6..

with H&Rs and Bilsteins. He first commented positively on the ride, and then warned me that I'd have to wait for my car to settle before I'd be able to turn in after we popped over a rise.

We topped the rise, and my car just stuck where his floated. He looked puzzled for a minute, and then said "Never mind- your car doesn't need to settle".

Muhahhahhaaaaaaa.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

so, what are the available 92 equivelant springs?
Old 02-25-2009, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Alex @ Europrice has S4/6 sport spring sets

see bottom of page in the link below for the sport spring set.<ul><li><a href="http://www.europrice.us/c4.html">http://www.europrice.us/c4.html</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Thinking of changing my suspension..Currently running H&R race on bilstein sports