Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Baby Black Brakes SQUEEEEAK

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby Black Brakes SQUEEEEAK

I just updated front and rear calipers, rotors, pads & stainless steel brake lines on my 1995.5 Avant. Rear calipers are new OEM calipers fitted with with new Bosch pads and new after market rotors. Rear brakes working great and nice and quiet. The fronts were upgraded with Porsche Baby Black calipers, (Porsche Boxster Non-S), 034 Motorsports mounting carriers, brackets, adapters, SS brake lines and all hardware. (NIce product 034!) Rotors are Non-OEM Audi A8 rotors fitted for the Baby Blacks and 16" Avus wheels. Front Pads are Textar T4045 FF. Install went smoothly and brakes work great and much more stopping power than stock brakes. Problem is that the front brakes squeak and squeal (very loud and annoying) especially during light to moderate braking. Hard braking seems to minimize front brake squeals.

I took front pads off and applied a thin even layer of that red CRC Disc Brake Quiet on the entire back of the Textar pads but this did not reduce squeal/squeaks either. I then purchased a set of new organic pads which are non-metallic and a bit softer than the Textar pads with the expectation the softer pad compound would eliminate the annoying brake noise. The new softer organic brake pads did not help either. Then I purchased OEM Porsche Brake shims (goes into each piston and self adhesive shim adheres to back of pads). BTW, these new softer pads had a metal brake shim already incorporated onto the back of the pads. This did not reduce the noise at all. I am at a loss here. I can't figure out why these front brakes squeak so much. My only other thought is to take the front brakes apart again, remove the existing shims that are incorperated into the new organic brake pads and try to install again with the OEM Porsche shims. Maybe the existing shims on the organic pads were not happy with the OEM Porsche shims? Or perhaps I should remove the existing shims on the organic pads, spread a thin layer of CRC Brake Quiet and then install with the OEM Porsche Brake Shims. Does anybody have a proven solution for eliminating brake squeal with the Baby Black upgrade? Am I wrong in assuming that the problem is isolated just to the pads or could it be the rotors and/or the calipers? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kerr Performance Friction pads from Weston Motorsport worked for me on my BIRA System 1 brakes (from 1999 to 2011).