Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Looked at a 94 UrS4 tonight, have questions.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looked at a 94 UrS4 tonight, have questions.

I looked at 1994 S4 tonight that was in very rough shape, cosmetically at least. I hoping its less rough mechanically. It runs for a short period of time then will die. I'm hoping for some insight on this so I can make an informed decision on whether or not I should buy it. The seller says that it has good compression across the board, And that it has spark in all cylinders. The timing belt looks newer, and he has replaced one of the POS's. It shows 67k on the odometer so I'm hoping it's not a huge expensive problem if I were to buy it.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the owner can't explain why it is dieing, run away. Don't look back.

Unless you can get it for $1000, then all problems can be solved.

Eventually.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorta unusual that it shows 67k and is in very rough shape cosmetically. That's very low milage, obviously. Not sure what the asking price is but perhaps you can post a few pics so we can get an idea of what it might be worth if it were running well. The mechanical problem is certainly a concern, and I wouldn't take a chance on that without more info. Really the only positive in your description is the 67k, the rest says run like Dave mentions, since there are others to choose from.

You should be able to find a nice candidate to purchase for ~$4,000 or so, and maybe find a gem for less somewhere.

Last edited by GoHeels; 11-04-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I plan on talking to the seller today about looking at it again and letting me do my own compression test first before I make a decision. It fired up right away without an extended crank time. I have 2 known good pos's from my '96 12v V6 avant I could try as I've read they are "useable" with the AAN and would be a good trouble shooting start. The seller is asking $1500 and said he would take offers. I'll attach a couple pics from the ad.
Attached Images    
Old 11-05-2013, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, your description was pretty spot on. Hard to see much detail on the exterior pics, but that under the hood picture is rougher than most I've seen, esp considering the low milage. A few things that jump out to me are the missing front rad support bar that the hood cable should be tied into. Not sure the hood would stay down without it. Its missing both belt covers, the fuel rail cover and the back firewall cover where your POS are ...and yes I think your brown? POS will work here and often preform longer/better. The air intake/filter setup is terrible sitting right next to the HOT turbo, and would be much better off back to the stock airbox with snorkel to front grill setup. Also the coolant res looks rust colored. Also the plenum cover is missing over the AC blower box area.

Perhaps you like a project, and this sorta looks to be one. Otherwise you might be better off finding one in better shape to begin with, for a bit more cash perhaps. Not saying this S4 cant be brought back to life with some TLC and MAYBE theres not much else wrong with it really. Its possible.