Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Looking at a C4 S6, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a C4 S6, couple questions

Hi there, I just looked at an S6 at a dealer today and had a couple questions;

It had what sounded like lifter ticking that was pretty loud. Is this an expensive fix or is it okay to leave it as is?

Also, the shifting seemed very sloppy and vague, with long throws. I'm guessing a short shifter kit would resolve the throw length, but for the sloppiness is there something that I can adjust or is this a sign of an expensive repair?

The dealer said the right front wheel bearing will need to be replaced. I've never dealt with bearings before, any ideas on cost?

Also the brakes were soft compared to my A6. Is there anything specific to this car or do they use the same system as the C4 A6? The system may just need a good flush/bleed.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-27-2009, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

lifter noise? could by low oil? or a sign of a poorly maintained engine
Nothing to adjust with the shifter - just need the apikol or 034 ss kits - or both!
Brakes - new fluid lines and agressive pads will go a long way but for spirited dirving go for bolt on porsche solution (see 034 or apikol for solutions). They should feel better than you a6.
A good search will reveal much as well...

good luck
Old 11-27-2009, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you. Yes, the lifter noise made me a little concerned. I will bring a rag with me next time and check the oil.

Been reading up on the 034 short shifter kit, and that may be just what this car needs.

I'll definitely get a closer look at the brake hoses next time I see it. I did replace those on my A6 last year.

The clutch was a little stiff but after reading some posts on that it looks like I need to check the master and slave cylinder and bleed them if I buy it.
Of course I don't know if the PO installed a performance-oriented clutch.
Not having any service history is unfortunate but these cars aren't too common so I can't be super picky.

Thanks again.
So did a lot of people here jump to the other forum with the vbulletin change? The C4 A6/100 forum is dead now.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

These clutches do get stiffer with age - so stiff likely just means old. The master and slave are reasonable preventative work depending on the miles.
For the lifters it could also be too thin an oil... if it is the lifters. Replacing them isn't a bad job...
And yes many have jumped.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Make sure it is not an exhaust manifold leak. That can sound like a lifter sometimes.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

ditto on the exhaust leak, it can be decieving and often sounds like a lifter tick. Wheel bearing isnt too bad to do, heat it up with a torch and you should get it out without too much drama.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You can use the rag to block off potential exhaust/exhaust manifold leaks if you do it before it's too hot. I know I stuffed a rag back by cylinder 5 on my car and muffled the ticking noise. It was a broken stud and the EM gasket was letting air through. I swore it was a lifter before I checkid it out.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, 3 votes for the exhaust manifold. I had better check that out, because yes it really does sound like a lifter, and makes the car sound ugly.

I did notice the coolant reservoir was a little low but I'm guessing like my A6 the reservoir itself could have a nipple crack. I didn't see any signs of leaking but I guess those could have been cleaned up by the dealer.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this an Audi dealer?

Ask them about the coolant level. There is no reason for it to be low unless there is a leak, so ask the pointed question. Don't take an answer from sales, have them ask the service dept what they have done about any leak.
If they fixed it, why didn't they top off the fluids. That would be the policy for any Audi dealer - service dept would ensure the car is roadworthy by ensuring brakes have minimum life left, all fluids are topped off, and all recalls are completed.

If you can't determine the noise source, ask service about that also. An exhaust leak there will not pass any states safety inspection. It won't pass emissions either. If they don't know what the noise is, ask to take it to someone who does.