Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Locking system

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking system

Hey Guys,

i have a curious question, the central locking system in my S6 stopped working oh about a year ago or so. Never really looked into it much but the red light on the rear fog light button flashes when i click the lock/unlock button on the door or lock unlock with the key manually. Previous owner gave me two set of keys 2 for ignition 2 for the door locks. The key fob never worked since i bought the car and never really cared much since the 2nd set of keys worked to lock/unlock all doors through the drivers door.

My question is, has anyone ever heard or seen this happen before? and if so how to fix? do i have a leak? or is this more electrical issue?

ill be waiting to hear from someone...i hope

thanks gusy
Old 01-16-2015, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this a 95 S6 with infrared remote or a 95.5, 96 or 97 with radio frequency remote?

Do you have fresh batteries in the remote?
Old 01-17-2015, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Dave,

I'm not sure how to tell the difference, batteries are new now but I never really used it I used to manually lock unlock the doors with the key in the drivers door
Old 01-17-2015, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The Infrared remote UrS6s a) have bumps on the side of the B-pillars (between the front and rear doors) and b) came on 1995 UrS6s, i.e. ones with the diff lock button in the centre console and the narrow (std. DIN) Gamma Bose radio.

The Radio frequency remote UrS6s a) have no bumps on the B-pillars and b) came on the 95.5 (and 96 and 97) UrS6s with EDL and no diff lock button, sidewinder keys and the wide-body Delta radio.

That help?

Once you figure it out, I will point you to the appropriate reprogramming sequence.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the bump on the pillars

Thanks d
Old 01-17-2015, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default C4 100/UrS4 Infrared Remote Key - Batteries and Reprogramming

Originally Posted by sanadrustom
I have the bump on the pillars.
So that means you have the Infra Red type remote.

They use four Energizer 386/301 batteries, oriented as shown in the photo below.

Reprogramming the key, if/when required, involves have one key in the ignition, turned to ON/RUN (but not START) while the second key is used to manually lock and unlock the drivers door lock. If the car has been sitting for some time or you have to change the batteries, getting the remote to work again just requires that you lock and unlock the door manually once and then the key remote will "work" again. (The IR remote has a very limited range and is intereferred with by bright sunlight and fluorescent lights (e.g. in a parking garage). HTH

Sometimes the issue isn't batteries but the little Item 29 infra red bulb:

Good luck.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks Dave,

i tried that but didn't work. i think there is an electrical issue with the system. the red light that is on the rear fog light was lashing on Sunday like crazy. But it stopped the last two days and now the interior lights don't turn on when you open the doors.

they used to lol, I'm telling you there is a gremlin in the electric system for the central locking. ill do more checks once I'm back from Vancouver

thanks
Old 01-20-2015, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

*Back* from Vancouver??!! I live *in* Vancouver.

Not sure if this will help but here is a central locking and lamp control module wiring diagram:

Old 01-20-2015, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah going to be in van from the 24th to the 27th for work
Old 01-20-2015, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is this control unit under the rear seat?

Quick Reply: Locking system