Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Incompetent suspension shop has my car in it's grips. please help diagnose.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incompetent suspension shop has my car in it's grips. please help diagnose.....

My son's 95 S-6 has been in an out of this shop with same problems 3 times.
First we had the suspension lowered with an H&R kit and new shocks. No problem except the shop did not bother to tell us the rear control arms were bad and did not replace or tell us to replace any other parts other than what was included in the suspension kit. Since then we have replaced the rear control arms and front strut plates as they said they were bad. The car still makes a popping sound in the front end going over bumps and also some shock compression type noise coming from the front. We took it in and they said the front strut plates were bad, replaced and still happening. I ordered new front strut bearings as I thought this might be the cause. Shop said it was going to cost more than their original estimate if I wanted bearings replaced over their estimate of just the strut plates. Now the same problem exists with the new plates. You guys think I have a valid point asking him to replace strut bearings at no charge since it was not suggested originally and missed twice? Less than 5K on new suspension( last summer).
Old 04-01-2009, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default are you sure the cap that secures the shock in the strut is tight?

A loose cap nut will cause exactly those sympt - just needs a big wrench to fix.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default same problem

I also replaced the following control arms, subframe bushings, tie rods, upper strut mount, strut bearings, bilstein sports, and H&R springs in the last 5k miles. The front struts feel like they are loose, i re torqued every single bolt last week and the noise is still present. It looks like the strut is moving in the housing. This usually happens when i am pulling out of the driveway and the tires drop it makes a clunk and then pressure is applied again and it makes another clunk. I am frustrated and think it is the little spacer cap thing that i couldnt fit over the new fatter stalk bilsteins. If anyone has any suggestions and where i can get this spacer thing ( i dont know the name for it) Please chime in.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

if someone dumb did the control arms i can guarantee they did not put the metal sleeves back in that hold the control arms in the subframe and just put the bolt in
Old 04-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My car has a similar symptom. I'm going to be changing struts, springs, control arms, subframe bushings etc. If that sleeve is missing is it possible to obtain a new one? Just want to be prepared
Old 04-01-2009, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm hoping to find that, but I may need to get new sleeves too... anyone have a PN for them?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by chapel
i'm hoping to find that, but i may need to get new sleeves too... Anyone have a pn for them?
4a0-399-413-a
Old 04-01-2009, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I second this motion and move to a new mechanic because the guy has no idea how to fix it.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I sometimes have a faint sound of suspension parts shifting on bumps, in turns or when braking. I did all my suspension work myself in the summer of last year. I have the sleeves in and washers on the sway bar ect.... I have thoroughly gone through my whole suspension setup twice since I installed it and can not isolate that light shifting noise.

The only thing I can think of is that the strut inserts are moving inside the strut housing. The outer diameters of the strut inserts (Bilstein HDs) were considerably smaller than the inner diameters of the strut housings. This leaves room for movement. The OEM struts that I took out were so snug, it took a lot of effort to get them out. Even with the strut housing cap tightened TIGHT, I have to believe the weight of the car is enough to move that thing a little bit.

On a side note, Norfolk VA has some of the worst roads out of the 43 states, and I don't know how many cities, that I have driven in. They are horrible, concrete roads patched with asphalt. Asphalt roads patched with concrete. Seam after seam......When I leave Norfolk, my car feel like a totally different ride and no noises....no joke.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default subframe ?

my car does the same. I'm pretty sure if I "really" tourqued the subframe bolts I could get rid of it but I DREAD breaking one. I know how much a pain it is to get them out.

Quick Reply: Incompetent suspension shop has my car in it's grips. please help diagnose.....