Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

How much is a 1995 S6 worth with 220k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is a 1995 S6 worth with 220k miles?

I recently picked up a completely stock 1995 S6, I think I got a pretty good deal, but I already have a b5 s4. I am not too sure which one I want to keep now, and which one I want to sell. The S6 has 220k miles but is in good condition, there is a spot of rust on the drivers door a crack in the windshield and a crack in the gauge cluster crystal, but other than that the car is in good condition. The S4 is a stage 2+ 2001.5 with 142k miles on it, I have every service receipt from day one, it is nearly perfect condition. I mainly drive the cars on not so sunny days (which there are many of in Cleveland, Ohio), but in the summer time I tend to ride the bike. How much do you guys think I can sell the S6, and how much can I sell the S4 for? Which one would you keep, note I am a complete noob to the URS6.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default UR vs B5

Originally Posted by teler86
I recently picked up a completely stock 1995 S6, I think I got a pretty good deal, but I already have a b5 s4. I am not too sure which one I want to keep now, and which one I want to sell. The S6 has 220k miles but is in good condition, there is a spot of rust on the drivers door a crack in the windshield and a crack in the gauge cluster crystal, but other than that the car is in good condition. The S4 is a stage 2+ 2001.5 with 142k miles on it, I have every service receipt from day one, it is nearly perfect condition. I mainly drive the cars on not so sunny days (which there are many of in Cleveland, Ohio), but in the summer time I tend to ride the bike. How much do you guys think I can sell the S6, and how much can I sell the S4 for? Which one would you keep, note I am a complete noob to the URS6.
Well the URS6 is a rare enough vehicle and some say that the earlier C4/S4 from 92 to 94 is the preferable model, but i happen to believe the 95 S6 is the better choice since they are a later build and im my opinion a better looking car in more areas. Now im not sure if u know about the locking differential which makes the 95 to 95.5 models different. The difference is obviously a manually push button locking differential and what is called an EDL, (ELECTRONIC DIFFERENTIAL LOCK)If u have this EDL in my opinion its not a very desirable model. So a used 95 S6 in the condition u are describing without seeing it in person or some pics i can make a rough estimate of about 5 to 8 thousand american dollars. I can also tell u that the color combo of interior and exterior paint might make a difference in what someone would want to pay for or sell for. Its always important to find out what kind of work has been done to the drivetrain, which would include Timing belt, Clutch, diff service, brakes service and history if minor calendar based service's such as oil, air filters etc.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

When people see rust on Audis they run away...you know why? Because when something is galvanized and was not repaired there will be no rust - even after 15 years....

You know what I'm saying...?

Lets be realistic - forget about 7-8k...

220k with rust, broken windshield, and God knows what else, I see no bright future but parts car...

Good luck with the sale!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by teler86

Look here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/A-Gre...3A1|240%3A1318
Old 04-14-2009, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Why is hte push button locking diff more desirable than the EDL? Also, I read about the difference between the 95 and 95.5 models, but my urS6 avant seems to be a mixture of differences... did they gradually switch over everything? Or what?
Old 04-14-2009, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

No. 95.5 is just different. There is no mixture unless someone just swapped couple bits from w/e car...
Old 04-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

"Parts car"

Whoa, them's fighting words!

At 220k miles there's going to be a whole bag of trouble that those of us with lower-mileage cars aren't familiar with but I would hardly characterize it as a parts car based on mileage and a couple cracks in plastic and glass.

The plastic piece for the dashboard gauges can be swapped with one from an A6 or 100 which you can source from your local parts yard.

Concerning the rust on the driver's door, I'd encourage you to take off the bottom molding on the door and see if the rust began there. I've noticed on a couple C4 cars that dirt settles between the plastic molding and the metal and can cause rust.

For those being the only issues listed, it sounds like a decent car.

The B5 S4 seems like a technical masterpiece but a maintenance nightmare. That said, it is a significantly newer car.

I'd encourage you to run the S6 around and see if you like it. It's not going to be worth a pile of money, unfortunately, but that doesn't reduce the quality of the car itself.

You should also consult the buyer's guide to get an after-the-fact sense of what you've gotten yourself into.

http://www.s-cars.org/postnuke/modul...rder=0&thold=0

I hope that helps.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Big difference actually

Originally Posted by Cash68
Why is hte push button locking diff more desirable than the EDL? Also, I read about the difference between the 95 and 95.5 models, but my urS6 avant seems to be a mixture of differences... did they gradually switch over everything? Or what?
Manually selected locking differential versus EDL is a big difference, in my opinion and i might be pissing ppl off on this forum but i do that sort of thing very well if i can say so. After AUDI changed to the EDL and stopped producing the manually locking differential it ceased being a true quattro. I do believe there is a video on this site about how an A4 with EDL fails to get out of a little bit of snow and some guy next to him in a 5ktq smokes out of the parking space like a freight train was pulling him. So Basically the EDL locks the wheels and transfers power to the diff that is grabbing the most amount of surface. If someone knows of this video please feel free to post it with a reply or take the time to look up EDL versus Manually locking Diff.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well I have the button in the center console to lock the diff, which system is that, is that better or worse, and what year would that signify my S6 is. As for the eBay link I would say my car is in much better condition than that. It is black on black, and the interior is not worn at all like the S4 in the eBay link. Please let me know of a ballpark figure I should list it at, I really don't think it qualifies as a parts car due to a crack in the windshield. But I also do not think it is an 8K car.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by J@RO
No. 95.5 is just different. There is no mixture unless someone just swapped couple bits from w/e car...
Well it says here:

http://www.s-cars.org/postnuke/modul...q=yes&id_cat=1

that 95.5+ have AVUS style wheels, and the lack of a manual differential button on the console. Mine definitely has the AVUS style wheels...but it has the diff lock button.

Quick Reply: How much is a 1995 S6 worth with 220k miles?