Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Guys anyone had experience with drilled or slotted discs?is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Guys anyone had experience with drilled or slotted discs?is it worth it?

Just seem to be hearing it aint worth upgrading to slots or drilled?

Was talking to a mate today about upgrading to porsche cayenne six pots.He used to have them on his s3! he said they worked well but they were not as good as he thought they would be,definitely more fade resistant than standard audi brakes,and more effective for on the limit breaking.But they didnt pop your eyeballs out your head.He said they were good though.But in normal driving it was hard to tell the difference,which i thought was interesting!!
I think what doesnt help is that our cars have an old servo set up!unlike modern Audi's!!
Damien.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have stock sized drilled discs front and rear right now.

The extra cost is not worth it for street use. For casual HPDE driving they are probably not worth it either. There is a theoretical benefit from lesser unsprung weight but I cannot quantify it in hard numbers.

I have logged a total of 8 days on track with mine with pads that eat rotors (Hawk HP+) so I dunno what everybody is talking about durability wise. They stop my car from 140 down to 60mph just fine.

So...they do work, but I wouldn't buy them again.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Given the choice between the two I would go slotted...

When I had them on my old GTI, wet braking was better on the street. Guessing that the slotted grooves allowed the water to get off the rotors faster. Seeing how you are in the land of little sun you might fancy that. ;-)
Old 02-17-2009, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Even with stock brakes stopping power is limited mostly by the tires

Fade & feel are the reasons to upgrade. My stock brakes with unknown pads faded like mad on the track. Stock brakes can perform well on a track with track pads, but you wouldn't want to drive around everyday with track pads. Excessive rotor wear and poor cold stopping would make that a real pain.

I've upgraded to 928 GTS (big black) calipers with RS2 brackets and A8 323x30 smooth rotors and Porterfield R4S pads. The increased feel and better modulation of the Porsche calipers make the braking performance much more enjoyable even though minimum stopping distance probably hasn't changed much from stock. I can do max braking over and over w/o any wory about fade.

If you really want to improve stopping distance put on a set of wide sticky tires and lower/stiffen your suspension for lower center of gravity and less weight transfer (dive) under braking.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Pads make a bigger difference for street use.

The benefit of monoblocs is basically having more swept area, better pad selection, and more heat sink. Unless you're running R-comps or slicks that the stock brakes can't lock up, the only benefit really to monoblocs is much more control and consistency after repeated stops.

Finding a pad and brake fluid that like heat yet work pretty well cold is the best thing next to better tire. I've run two set ups so far and they both had the same stopping force, but my current blank rotor & HP+ is much more linear and fade resistant than the previous slotted & EBC red stuffs.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have drilled/slotted x4 + Mintex Redbox pads & during the 1st 100mph brake to stop = fade!

Really want a BBK setup.

While the stock setup is decent for everyday blah driving, it (mine at least) will not tolarate spirited driving.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ^^2nd

If your current brakes can easily activate antilock or lock up your tires then you are not brake limited for normal street use.

Better/bigger brakes will give you better modulation but the real payoff is more heat dissipation. Bigger rotors and pads can handle more heat, longer. Good for track days but it doesn't buy you much on the street.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah did red stuff pads and ebc discs!! worst combo i have ever had on my car.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Interesting!! im running the euro H2 strut set up and its very good,just wondering how much ..

better i can make this OEM set up.Seems to me extra money on drilled or slotted aint worth the money.Small improvement maybe but is it really worth it>>
really good reading though guys and great to hear first hand experience.
Damien.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Mintex redbox are garbage

Quick Reply: Guys anyone had experience with drilled or slotted discs?is it worth it?