Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

ECU bench testing

Old 05-09-2012, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU bench testing

Is there a bench testing procedure for our ECU's? I'm not getting any communication, and cant find any obvious blown caps/resistors.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mURS4
Is there a bench testing procedure for our ECU's? I'm not getting any communication, and cant find any obvious blown caps/resistors. Thanks
What was your ECU situation again? No Check engine light with igntion to "ON"? Do you have power to the red fuse holder above the ECU? There are situations where the ignition driver chip dies (and there are NO replacements)

Motronic ECUs can be bench tested (to some degree) but not by amateurs. I know of 2 people in the world that do this regularly in the aftermarket. One is in Estonia and one is in Denver. The Denver guy is Steve Eiche however, Steve recently got ripped off by montanarally (on this forum) after Steve fixed montanarally's ECU and montanarally failed to complete payment after Steve shipped the ECU. Steve is rethinking helping us in the future (way to go montanarally).

Last edited by UrS4boy; 05-09-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Three cheers for Montanarally!! Does he have the nerve to still use the site? I hope he makes good. Wonder if I send $ up front..?

Yes, I have no MIL in KOEO position, Bulb checks fine.

I DO have power to S26, power to the diagnostic connectors, and continuity between S26 and T55/18. Assuming I have ANOTHER bad ecu. Although its not popping the fuse like my other "dead short" ecu, which is the one I have apart.

I have done several module repairs in the past. Soldering traces, replacing resistors and the like.
Is this chip identifiable? Do you think I might get lucky swapping it out of my "shorted" ecu?

TIA-- Eric
Old 05-21-2012, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The chip is identifiable. But only to those familiar with the Motronic ECU. I would send your two ECUs to Steve and tell him to make one good one from the two. I would imagine that he would now ask for a deposit e.g. $200 up front.

Montanarally came here as a new poster with his problem. I sent him to Steve. He screwed Steve and has never been seen here again.

The guy is not a man.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:26 AM
TJT
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by UrS4boy
The chip is identifiable. But only to those familiar with the Motronic ECU. I would send your two ECUs to Steve and tell him to make one good one from the two. I would imagine that he would now ask for a deposit e.g. $200 up front.

Montanarally came here as a new poster with his problem. I sent him to Steve. He screwed Steve and has never been seen here again.

The guy is not a man.
I hate it when people are not honest. These cars are special and not a lot of people know a ton about them and then people just crap all over the little connections we do have.