Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Cranks but no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranks but no start

I just developed this no start. After I started the car to move from the driveway to the street side. The car was running 100% then it started to hesitate for 5 seconds and died. I tried to start it again and it cranks but no start. It is late here. I checked codes. there are no codes. After having searched the forums. It sounds like fuel related. It has a 044 FP less than 6 months old. I want to check the following tomorrow, but I wanted to make sure I have all my ducks in order.

1. Fuse
2. FP relay, but not sure of the location yet, is it under the hood, or inside under the dash
3. CPS was replaced about 10,000 miles ago and the connector

Anything else you can suggest?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Testing and Replacement Info

Since it died while running and there are no codes, it is most likely the fuel pump. Follow the test procedure in this fuel pump replacement DIY:

http://12v.org/urs/Fuel%20Pump%20Tes...dures_Rev1.pdf
Old 08-03-2011, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dave, that is great, I will try to test the fuel pump this evening, however, it is new bosch 044 with less than 2000 miles on it. But what about the FP relay, how does that come in play with this procedure. and do you know how to test it, where is it located?
Old 08-03-2011, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am checking the G4 Crank position sensor between pins 1 and 2 which should have around 1000 ohms resistance. I get this reading on my flucke meter, but excuse the stupid. I am unable to tell if this is 1000 ohms resistance, can someone look at this and tell me. It could be that my G4 took a dump.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Wahhab; 08-03-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok, I was in the process of checking if the fuel pump is working and since it is new I wasn't suspecting it, but however since I have an inline fuel pressure guage, I saw that it is building pressure, so I know the fuel pump isn't the issue. So I decided to check if I have spark. I put 5 extra plugs on the boots, and guess what, we are not sparking at all. So what the heck does that mean now.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Problem found and solved. I will share it with you shortly. But I have to say that for this exact reason, I never like anyone to touch my car because there is absolutely no quality work out there no matter how good the shop is. So as to protect the innocent, I will not mention names.

The problem was that 4 pin connector for the ignition coils with the 4 populated pins was disconnected. When I inspected it closely. I said what the F***. The spring loaded lock on the clip connector end was spread open to the point it was just hanging on the clip end without the ability to lock or keep the other end of the plug connected, so therefore with some vibration the connector came loose, and that explains why the car hesitated a bit and then died.

So now for those of you who personally know me, you would know because I told you that I had a problem last week with my ignition system and I had to tow the car to a certain shop that will remain unnammed on this forum, almost against my will and for the first time the car was wrenched on by anyone other than me, and also previous to that I had worked and had unplugged connector before I towed the car to the shop because I send it in to honor the warranty of failed parts. If that connector was like that I would have noticed it guaranteed. If that was the condition of the spring, I would have noticed it, and I would have fixed it like I just did.

I would like to thank all of you who have helped or posted previous posts that I read to walk through this problem, and HAPPY WRENCHING on your own AUDIS. Trust no one.

Last edited by Wahhab; 08-03-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well although that all sucks, the good news is you found your problem. Hope you get some $ati$faction from the shop.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

In an ideal world, that would work, in my case, I will not let them touch it or see it if I can handle it.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Wahhab
In an ideal world, that would work, in my case, I will not let them touch it or see it if I can handle it.
If you haven't already, you should let them know that their mistake cost you the towing job (plus). Give them the chance to make it right. If they do, great. If not, too bad. Their loss.

Either way, I know you won't likely go back to them for work on your car.