Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Anything I should know installing new suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Chapel;23754992]Also, is the strut cap nut that slotted piece of **** like a VW? I have that if it is.[QUOTE]

No, the strut cap nut is not slotted. You will need a big pipe wrench to get the strut cap off, a cheater pipe wouldn't hurt either if its rusted on.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by audi/s/scott
Then I'd assume you're not using threaded view, change your prefs.
No thanks. I like it this way.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

[QUOTE=quattro20v;23755087][QUOTE=Chapel;23754992]Also, is the strut cap nut that slotted piece of **** like a VW? I have that if it is.

No, the strut cap nut is not slotted. You will need a big pipe wrench to get the strut cap off, a cheater pipe wouldn't hurt either if its rusted on.
is it just a big nut? I have a full shop of tools available. I just want to make sure I don't need anything special like a 32mm triple square or something
Old 04-01-2009, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Don't overlook the incidental parts like control arms, bushings , ect.....

Had someone do my son's car and small parts that should have been replaced when the suspension was lowered are killing him. No thanks to the shop that did the work. Consult someone who knows these cars and all the parts that should be replaced when taking on a job like this.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

control arms and bushings, tie rod ends, etc... are new as of November
The shocks and springs are 75k though.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Chapel,

I had Lee {Advanced Technologies,for those not near Boston!} do all of my suspension work, and I sourced the parts. Avanthead's post made me think of this. Even with Lee's expertise, this took a LOT of fiddling to get it just right. I did springs {Euro Sport thru Europrice}, Bilstein HD's, and had Lee replace the upper strut mounts and ALL of the bushings. One control arm was pretty new, and we replaced the other. One rear trailing arm. We broke two sets of strut mounts before going back to OEM Audi, as one example. The new tight suspension accentuated worn subframe bushings. They sounded like a broken strut, or another strut mount. Lee had it aligned by his guy about 4 times. It's {knock on wood} perfect now. At Lee's hourly rate, I'm never going to take on any suspension work myself! I read of a lot of supension issues that persist on this forum and others, and I have thankfully none. Might be worth considering. There's plenty of other wrenching to be done on these cars!!
Old 04-01-2009, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

hmm... I've never had much of an issue installing suspension before. Plus, I align it on our Hunter alignment table.
We're doing coil overs on a B5 S4 this weekend too. I can't imagine it being too difficult.
I've got new strut mounts too.

How much was it for you to get it done with Lee?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, you're obviously a lot better set up to do this than I am! So, apologies there! Lee's reasonable. $60/hr, and I always think that his math adds up to favor me. And with my skills, he gets twice as much done in an hour, or more, than I do. I've also never found much suspension work a lot of fun. I'd have to check my records, which aren't near me now, but it wasn't much. I'm sure he could give you an accurate estimate over the phone. The suspension on these cars is pretty simple, but for some reason you'll see many situations where people do a lot of work and then chase aggravating clunks and noises for months, or longer.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yeah, I can just give him a ring whenever. I've known Lee for over 10 years. My friend Kris and I can probably get along rather well. I just wasn't sure if there were any tricky bits to worry about
Old 04-01-2009, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Chapel
is it just a big nut? I have a full shop of tools available. I just want to make sure I don't need anything special like a 32mm triple square or something
It's not a nut, its round and about 2.5 inches in diameter.

Quick Reply: Anything I should know installing new suspension?