Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Anyone in a state with 4 seasons running an all season tire year round?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in a state with 4 seasons running an all season tire year round?

I currently have a set of dedicated snows, but I am looking at maybe just getting a good set of all season tires and leaving them on until they pop. I am not tracking my car and I will have the snow tires sitting there if things get too dicey, but I am just curious to see if anyone has any good or bad experiences with the one tire/ wheel for the entire year option.

I live in Maryland and work in southern PA. The weather is not terrible, but I do deal with snow and ice on occasion since I work in the mountains, but so far my snow tires seemed like over kill which is why I am curious.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I ran summer tires year round.... in San Diego =)
Old 07-01-2009, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Scott I ran my Sumitomo HTR+'s all year least year and will probably do the same this year. Though we had a pretty mild winter in Denver, we got hit hard in the spring and they were great. They are also one of the best values in a tire. Obviously there are trade offs, but I have been pleased. This is my second set.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That is the exact tire I was looking at too! I have used them on Mk2 VW's before and loved them, so that is very good to know.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default ContiProContact and ExtremeContact

ran 'em all all 4 seasons in northern NJ, it gripped well enough for me to not see the need for dedicated winters.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I live an hour south of you and use a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss. They're very competent tires.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I live in Mid MI. We get all kinds of slop, snow and ice for what seems like 6 months for the year. I went with the the conti. extreme contacts. Got 10,000 on them and still look like new. Went half a winter with no problems. So far so good. Think tire rack has them about 90 bucks.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd on the ExtremeContact. I used them year round in SE MI on my UrS6 and they are quite good in all conditions. I found a 2nd set of rims last year so I'm using them as winter tires now with summer tires on the 2nd set of rims.

I also ran them year round on my wife's B6 A4 before we sold it. The C5 S6 Avant we replaced the A4 with came with them on the OEM wheels with a 2nd set of wheels with snow tires.

The ExtremeContact would be my top pick considering price for a true allseason tire that gets excellent snow traction. My overall top pick would be Goodyear F1 A/S, but they are considerably more $$$. I have no personal experience with the GY, but Tirerack rated them extremely good in all the tests they've run.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

In Asheville here. Have run summer tires year round in the past.

Running cheapo Hankook all seasons right now and do well in the three seasons I have run them in....
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2009, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did run Hankook, Contis, Goodyears and Kumhos all year round with no complaints during winter. We're talking normal driving in NJ.

In upper NY there is no way to avoid real winter tires

Quick Reply: Anyone in a state with 4 seasons running an all season tire year round?