Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Anyone done a comparison between S cars and A6 2.7

Old 07-21-2003, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone done a comparison between S cars and A6 2.7

Saw a few S cars and A6 2.7Ts at the Waterfest and started wondering how the two cars compared. I did a quick search through google and found info on the cars individually but nothing that compares them directly. The power output and chassis weight are fairly close so it would seem that they would be close cousins. Are the two cars comparable?

George
Old 07-21-2003, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Comparable as to your aforementioned specs, yes. Remember, the gearing is different.

Acceleration in the 2.7 is a lot more punchy, and torque comes on a bit sooner, IMO. I have an '01 S4 as well as an S6, and I can start from dead stop in my S4, whereas, I always need first(especially with the AC running), in my S6 to get things moving. THen again, it's somewhat of a lopsided comparo, as my S4 is heavily modded, whereas my S6 just has an RS2 EM and a Stromung catback working with the little 5 cyl. Difference of about 130hp and over 120 lb./ft of torque...
Old 07-21-2003, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Any comparisons so far as chassis or suspension.

I can see from the specs that the engine outputs are pretty close but I was looking for comparisons between the chassis and suspensions of the original S4/6 and A6 2.7T. The later S4s were based off the A4 chassis which is lighter and stiffer than the A6. I was wondering if the A6 2.7T has a chassis and suspension as good as the original s4/6?
Old 07-21-2003, 11:53 AM

Default In my own opinion....

I have yet to drive a car that pleases me like the old S4/S6 does as far as handling goes. I drove a couple B5 (new) S4's before I bought mine... and I honestly liked the old one better. With exception to raw power, it felt better than the new cars in every aspect.

I've driven new S4's, an A6-2.7TT and a A8 4.2, none of which felt quite like the old S on the road. The A6 2.7TT (and of course A8) felt a lot softer, and more biased towards a comfy ride than performance. However... I don't know if that's related to chassis quality or not, it may just be a suspension thing. Throw some coilovers on the 2.7 and it might be fantastic.

I've never driven a new model S6. I would hope that is more comparable to our cars than the A... but I really don't know.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmm. Yes and no, IMO...

But your speculations are correct. The C5 chassis, with CO's or a sport suspension is much more nimble/agile than a stock car, and firms the ride up quite nicely. I have found the C4 S
to be fun to drive, no doubt, and have owned an UrS with a stock setup, and one with an Eibach/Bilstein, but I believe the C5 A6 2.7 with sport suspension is just as firm a car in stock mode as a C4 S with aftermarket suspension. Both are heavy, and both waddle in the corners. A well-tuned B5 S will wreck an A6 in the twisties just because of the weight differential and size advantage, assuming the same driver. It understeers way less. The C5 S6 is a bit better equipped to handle the task, and is a bit more aggressive in stock form than a 2.7T A6, even though it's a bit heavier. When it's all said and done, all chassis are capable in the range we've been discussing.

My butt tells me that, given that all cars are modified, the best handler of the ones you mentioned is the B5 S4. And though the power of that car doesn't feel very "raw" in stock form(I agree with you), once it's chipped and has dp's and an exhaust, it's a TOTALLY different animal.

Of course, the same could be said of the C4 S, but in terms of raw powered 5 cyl.'s, I think the feel of a 200 20v is much more so than an UrS, because of the lack of coil packs, and it feels more stable with a good suspension installed(granted, it's lighter).

Back to you, Evan...

;-)

Fru-T
Old 07-21-2003, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Hmmm. Yes and no, IMO...

Thanks for the info. In summary then it looks like an A6 2.7 with sport suspension will give the same handling as an Ur S-car that has uprated springs and shocks.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That would be what I would say...
Old 07-21-2003, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Best to drive one to figure it out for yourself...

Go to the A6 forum and find a guy in your area with one that's modded. I'm sure someone will be glad to give you a ride/drive...

Nice bunch over there...

Fru-T
Old 07-22-2003, 03:48 AM

I would agree... and realistically, any Audi with upgraded suspension will be a capable beast.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Best to drive one to figure it out for yourself...

That seems to be the best course to take. I've driven a number of Ur S4/6s and like the combination of civilized ride and power that they provide. But, I don't particularly want to invest in a 10 year old car, and start playing the refurbish game, I've done enough of that already. The A6 2.7T seems like a nice later model alternative to the Ur S4/6.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone done a comparison between S cars and A6 2.7