Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

95 S6 Losing Coolant, no visible leaks

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doubt that you need the heater core right now. By pass it.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dave -- I was just reading on this thread where you had suggested that -- I should be able to figure that out

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ht=heater+core

Unfortunately, my carpet is soaked with coolant, dammmmit - hope it evaporates

ETA: It appears these are the 2 hoses I need to disconnect - then get a similar type hose ~10" long and connect - I assume I can try this w/o draining all my coolant.

Ed - I dont want to high-jack your thread, sorry - just didnt want to start a new coolant thread
Attached Images  

Last edited by GoHeels; 06-11-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not a problem, I have to wait and see what comes from the leak down test and anything else I can check before deciding what to do.

If I go the R&R head gasket route, I think I have enough information at this point. I will post the results when I get them to help anyone else out with a problem like this. Be thankful you know where your leak is (although having it in the passenger compartment is a mess!)

Ed

Originally Posted by GoHeels
Thanks Dave -- I was just reading on this thread where you had suggested that -- I should be able to figure that out

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ht=heater+core

Unfortunately, my carpet is soaked with coolant, dammmmit - hope it evaporates

ETA: It appears these are the 2 hoses I need to disconnect - then get a similar type hose ~10" long and connect - I assume I can try this w/o draining all my coolant.

Ed - I dont want to high-jack your thread, sorry - just didnt want to start a new coolant thread
Old 06-11-2012, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Ed -- Here's the temporary fix. I probably lost ~50oz of coolant during the changeover, so I'm not sure if I'm getting good flow, or if an air pocket got in the system.

I cranked it up and squeezed the main hose trying to work the coolant around. Then drove around the neighborhood a bit. Seems normal but it was only running ~10 minutes. Thermostat went to its normal position.
Attached Images  

Last edited by GoHeels; 06-11-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice repair work!

Found antifreeze in my oil, will be contemplating a head gasket R&R. Started a new thread.

Ed

Thanks Ed -- Here's the temporary fix. I probably lost ~50oz of coolant during the changeover, so I'm not sure if I'm getting good flow, or if an air pocket got in the system.

I cranked it up and squeezed the main hose trying to work the coolant around. Then drove around the neighborhood a bit. Seems normal but it was only running ~10 minutes. Thermostat went to its normal position.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 99 audi a4 2.8 check engine codes p1392 and p1626 help please some advice

runs good 160kmiles never changed timing belt so its definatly on time.thinking its the cam shaft sensor but want another opinion and p1626 is tcm missing message but i own a manual ? so i thought there is no tcm? but i was told to check and see if there is one under the passenger seat if its wet or not ? give me your advice please
Old 06-14-2012, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by audi42.8
runs good 160kmiles never changed timing belt so its definatly on time.thinking its the cam shaft sensor but want another opinion and p1626 is tcm missing message but i own a manual ? so i thought there is no tcm? but i was told to check and see if there is one under the passenger seat if its wet or not ? give me your advice please
Dude. Wrong forum. This is the C4 UrS five-cylinder turbo forum, not the B5 2.8 V6 forum. Try there.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You're not the only one with coolant leaking now

I've filled up my reservoir 2 days in a row and its empty again -- mine is leaking towards the back of the engine somewhere, my feet were even getting dripped on while driving, with no AC running -- ugh
check at the very back of the motor, under the plastic cover that houses the ICU's. you have to take the cover off, but this is not under the cover itself, its between the motor and the firewall. there are two hoses down there about an inch wide that have a plastic t junction, with a plug at the top of the t. if one of those hoses slipped off, it will dump your coolant everywhere and could in theory get sprayed through a hole in the firewall. i know about this because that t junction broke on me and i have to replace it.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Funny that you pulled this up from a month ago - I had the T pipe break last night - guess its gotten brittle

I rigged it back up - will probably hold for a while - probably better to order a new one

Think the part # is 4A0 819 497 - about $10
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2012, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Funny that you pulled this up from a month ago - I had the T pipe break last night - guess its gotten brittle. I rigged it back up - will probably hold for a while - probably better to order a new one. Think the part # is 4A0 819 497 - about $10
Tee = 4A0819497 (item 13 below)
Sensor = 025906041A (item 14 below)
O-ring = N90316802 (item 15 below)
Retaining Clip/Spring = 032121142(item 16 below)
Heater Valve (if needed) = 4A0819809

This is what a good Tee and coolant sensor, etc. look like:

Photo Courtesy of mannywdc.

Quick Reply: 95 S6 Losing Coolant, no visible leaks