Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Wrong way driver alerts

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wrong way driver alerts

Anyone else getting wrong way driver alerts when they start their Etron? They are never near me, so i'm wondering how to disable this feature.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

I don't know how to disable, but in Socal wrong way idiots is unfortunately a fact of life. I figure one day it may save me so I don't worry about it too much.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 136 Likes on 99 Posts

I saw a wrong way vehicle in Grass Valley a few years ago. Elderly driver cruising north at 45 mph on the inside shoulder of the southbound lane of Hwy 49 like nothing was amiss. It's about 50/50 drunks and elderly drivers around here, and it happens about once a month.

I have received three alerts since I bought the car last summer. None of them were within 10 miles of where I was at the time, but I still appreciated the heads up.

It's not something that I would disable. It could get you out of the way of a police pursuit, or alert you to a drunk driver who made a horribly wrong turn. They are the worst. They cause the most accidents, and since it's a wrong way driver there are almost always fatalities involved.

Old 02-26-2023, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by geeplus
Anyone else getting wrong way driver alerts when they start their Etron? They are never near me, so i'm wondering how to disable this feature.
I actually like it as it lets me know when my dad found the car keys and has hit the road. 🤣
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 884 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I actually like it as it lets me know when my dad found the car keys and has hit the road. 🤣
I drive past hundreds of wrong way drivers every day!!
The following users liked this post:
RAudi Driver (02-27-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

It's part of the traffic alert announcements. Don't remember if there's a setting to turn those off, but if turned off it would turn off everything, including accidents and other alerts. I got a few of these back with my '13 RS5, which had live traffic through SiriusXM. It saved me once from getting stuck on the SF Bay Bridge as it was closed down due to a major accident. I was on my way home around 8PM when the accident happened, and got the alert in time to take a different route. Took me twice as long to get home, but later read that the bridge didn't reopen until around midnight, so it could have been way worse. Even if you are currently not near a wrong way driver, they are moving and could be heading towards you, so good to know.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-26-2023 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2023, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
It's part of the traffic alert announcements. Don't remember if there's a setting to turn those off, but if turned off it would turn off everything, including accidents and other alerts. I got a few of these back with my '13 RS5, which had live traffic through SiriusXM. It saved me once from getting stuck on the SF Bay Bridge as it was closed down due to a major accident. I was on my way home around 8PM when the accident happened, and got the alert in time to take a different route. Took me twice as long to get home, but later read that the bridge didn't reopen until around midnight, so it could have been way worse. Even if you are currently not near a wrong way driver, they are moving and could be heading towards you, so good to know.
Agree it's a useful feature, although I generally run with Waze open almost 100% of the time I'm driving. I find it very useful.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Only got it a few times when road works meant essentially going the wrong way because they had lane control in-place but otherwise never seen it
Old 02-28-2023, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coldrain85
I saw a wrong way vehicle in Grass Valley a few years ago. Elderly driver cruising north at 45 mph on the inside shoulder of the southbound lane of Hwy 49 like nothing was amiss. It's about 50/50 drunks and elderly drivers around here, and it happens about once a month.

I have received three alerts since I bought the car last summer. None of them were within 10 miles of where I was at the time, but I still appreciated the heads up.

It's not something that I would disable. It could get you out of the way of a police pursuit, or alert you to a drunk driver who made a horribly wrong turn. They are the worst. They cause the most accidents, and since it's a wrong way driver there are almost always fatalities involved.
3 times isn't so bad. Try every time you get in the car, and they are never in areas I even commute. But I guess i will just let it be.