Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Suspension suddenly not moving with drive select

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Suspension suddenly not moving with drive select

Hi all,

Curious if anyone has had this before -

Usually, when you go to the Drive Select and select a drive option (Comfort, Auto, Dynamic, Offroad etc) the suspension moves up/down accordingly. The little gauge on the right even indicates this (raise/lower).
Last night, it refused to budge. No errors, and drive select was cycling fine through the various options but at the point of selection, nothing happened. Even the gauge on the right did not move to indicate it was going to go up/down.

After a few seconds - maybe 15-20? of driving, the cluster would then come up with a message:
Audi Drive select:
suspension raised automatically
See owner's manual.

Never done this in the 3/4 years of ownership. And this morning...like nothing ever happened. Change the drive select in exactly the same conditions, the suspension moves with it.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks

Old 04-20-2024, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 686 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by aj84
Hi all,

Curious if anyone has had this before -

Usually, when you go to the Drive Select and select a drive option (Comfort, Auto, Dynamic, Offroad etc) the suspension moves up/down accordingly. The little gauge on the right even indicates this (raise/lower).
Last night, it refused to budge. No errors, and drive select was cycling fine through the various options but at the point of selection, nothing happened. Even the gauge on the right did not move to indicate it was going to go up/down.

After a few seconds - maybe 15-20? of driving, the cluster would then come up with a message:
Audi Drive select:
suspension raised automatically
See owner's manual.

Never done this in the 3/4 years of ownership. And this morning...like nothing ever happened. Change the drive select in exactly the same conditions, the suspension moves with it.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks
Ummmm... Sounds like bad Audi MMI boot.

Sorry... Just another MMI issue. Restart the car.
The following users liked this post:
JNealCox (04-20-2024)
Old Today, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Have to revive this - happened again today
To be honest, it could be happening daily without realising as I don't always change the drive selection from Auto.

A switch off/switch on did not fix it either. I know the suspension up/down does work by clicking that button on the right to raise/lower but its just not doing it from changing the various drive select options. And of course clicking raise/lower is one extreme to another.

Anyone seen this behaviour?

Old Today, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 336 Likes on 233 Posts

That message sounds vaguely familiar, I may have seen it before.

I don’t know if this is a feature on the etron, but check the manual and the MMI, perhaps it automatically raises the suspension in certain memorized locations.
Old Today, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 537 Likes on 398 Posts

Maybe you have a leak in the air suspension that keeps it from working.
Old Today, 11:02 AM
HCx
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JNealCox
Maybe you have a leak in the air suspension that keeps it from working.

The car will detect leaks and get sad and throw a bunch of errors and lock you out from messing with it until the BCM is reset.

Make sure you're not in trailer mode, or tire change mode. both those will impact how the air suspension behaves. you'll have a hard time triggering either of those modes on accident though (they're in vehicle>settings or something like that)
Old Today, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 537 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by HCx
The car will detect leaks and get sad and throw a bunch of errors and lock you out from messing with it until the BCM is reset.

Make sure you're not in trailer mode, or tire change mode. both those will impact how the air suspension behaves. you'll have a hard time triggering either of those modes on accident though (they're in vehicle>settings or something like that)
I have run across a couple of other posts where that is not the case.

https://www.e-tronforum.com/threads/...06/#post-79646

Last edited by JNealCox; Today at 11:17 AM.
Old Today, 11:26 AM
HCx
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JNealCox
I have run across a couple of other posts where that is not the case.

https://www.e-tronforum.com/threads/...06/#post-79646

good to know! the only air suspension problem I've had was a massive leak from a tow company puncturing the bag. The system pretty quickly gave up and just stopped trying.
Old Today, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks all and in order:

@Tronification Definitely not - at least not in the way I am using/trying it. I know for a fact it would go up/down immediately on selecting a different mode. From memory, when you select, the right icon to raise/lower starts to flash automatically to essentially tell you it will go up/down.
Now it just sits there with no flashing on the icon nor does the car go up/down.

@JNealCox Thanks for this - Did read this last week but I have no error message. I did a full scan and nothing has been picked up either.
And remember, hitting the raise/lower icon on the right will do it all the up/down without issues or complaints. In the case of the thread, he does/did get a message of "Air Suspension malfunction".

I've had very little actual issue with this car but recently I think it is starting to send me indirect messages its had enough

Current issues outstanding all quite recent:
AC Compressor is buzzing loudly
Door won't lock/unlock via keyless 9/10 times and then weeks later works fine until it stops again
12v battery seems to have drained again with indirect numerous messages coming up on the dash. (few days ago). Trickle charged it and seems ok again.
This suspension issue
and last weekend the double-impact chip on windscreen

Old Today, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just found another thread for the A6 C7 here

He seems to have solved it by switching a setting off in post 10 but I've got no idea what he refers to given tire change mode he already ruled out in post 4. Am I missing a something/a post/advice ?

Will recheck tire change mode/trailer tomorrow and report back (thanks @HCx for this advice, missed it earlier)
Strange how when I posted this, the day after it was fine which tells me they're off but lets see.

Quick Reply: Suspension suddenly not moving with drive select