Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

San Diego - Kansas City Road Trip - I 15 & I 70

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CO_outdoors
For the Richfield, UT to Grand Junction, CO leg, take a look at this thread. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ld-ut-2988306/ I drove from Las Vegas to Colorado in late January with a stop in Moab. Plan B was to use the campgrounds or parks in Green River.
i think plan at moment is we are going to loan from Richfield no matter what. Will hit up hopefully vacant ChargePoint dc fast Charger there do a little site seeing then go to gran junction. It’s a bit worrisome that you only got 1.7 m/kw on that leg, Will just have to add more juice
Old 06-18-2020, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by WetEV
Plan with Green River stop.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?pla...6-8bc225477122

Plan with Moab stop.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?pla...3-104295fe0544

I think the Green River plan is better. More margin, faster total time.
currently I plan to go Moab (want to show kids some arches) and will evaluate SoC when in green River and maybe add some miles If needed.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got 2.4mi/kw on the Vegas to Moab leg and got 1.7mi/kw on the Moab to Grand Junction leg (the pics are out of order). I didn't drive as conservative on the leg to Grand Junction since I knew I would have plenty of range.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just made it to Glenwood Springs , Co. I’m doing a more in depth write up after the entire round trip journey ends, just a few tidbits.

- Salina and green river UT stations were on and pumping out 150kw! This made things much much easier to get to Moab with no worries and top off at the free 50kw ChargePoint there. Was able to drove around arches park and then get to grand junction.

- mostly smooth charging everywhere, two stations (mesquite nv and here in glenwood) having issues and unable to get more than 35kw. The next station after mesquite is 40 miles so I just left and went there.

the point to point (station to station) driving makes the road trip seem to go faster mentally. It’s one step at a time (100-150 miles) vs a mental 10 hours to destination feeling.

Green river

Moab

Glenwood Springs
Old 06-22-2020, 01:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 297 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by KSpider
Just made it to Glenwood Springs , Co. I’m doing a more in depth write up after the entire round trip journey ends, just a few tidbits.

- Salina and green river UT stations were on and pumping out 150kw! This made things much much easier to get to Moab with no worries and top off at the free 50kw ChargePoint there. Was able to drove around arches park and then get to grand junction.

- mostly smooth charging everywhere, two stations (mesquite nv and here in glenwood) having issues and unable to get more than 35kw. The next station after mesquite is 40 miles so I just left and went there.

the point to point (station to station) driving makes the road trip seem to go faster mentally. It’s one step at a time (100-150 miles) vs a mental 10 hours to destination feeling.

Green river

Moab

Glenwood Springs
Such an amazing area of the USA: that's pretty much the highlight of the i70 right there!

Great to know that the Green River station is now open: that fills such a huge hole for EVs. Too bad there is just that on 50kw station in Moab, but I guess most people are kind of going in and out of Moab but very few continue onward. Still, will be good once they get a few more DCFCs there at some point.
The following users liked this post:
KSpider (06-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

LONG Overdue, for a couple reasons... we drove successfully San Diego to Kansas City and back, then a week later decided to drive to Park City as well...

I began taking notes at every stop, estimated arrival SoC according to vehicle and ABRP. I would then mark down what actual arrival SoC was, distance travelled, mi/kw avg etc. etc. Let me tell you, after 6-7 stops and dealing with kids etc. it started to get old... I kept up the notes most of the way to Kansas. Biggest take away from this, The ABRP and car estimates were generally within a few % of each other, ABRP was always more accurate as it took into account wind and elevation more accurately.

Most legs on I-15 and I-70 are short enough where you only need 80-90% charge to get to the next station with an estimated charge of 10%+, this allows you to drive at any speed you want and arrive comfortably. I would monitor ABRP and the car's estimated arrival SoC on the longer jumps, but never ever had any surprises. On the way to KS, the Hays,KS charger was blocked as they were re-paving the Walmart parking lot. This left me with a 204 mile gap between Colby and Salina, KS. Heading East I had the wind at my back and it was downhill, I started this route going 65 and updated my ABRP current SoC every once in a while, I ended up averaging about 70mph and I would find some faster semi trucks to hang out behind. When I arrived at the station in Salina, 204 miles later, the car still had 9% on the battery... fairly impressive!!

After that first 1600 miles to KS, I started to simply use ABRP to plan what charging stations to stop at, and then I would mainly just use the car's nav with est. arrival SoC to monitor my status (slow down or speed up etc.) This is what I did on the return and the park city trip. This takes a lot less work.

The car, overall, did GREAT. Driving with a family of 4 for 1600 miles in two days... I found that stopping every 100-150 miles was actually really nice. I liked being able to say to myself (and in my head,) " Ok, 1-2 hours to the next stop." As opposed to "ok 10 hours to Denver." The point to point seemed a lot more relaxing than thinking about start to finish time/miles.

ISSUES: Car had zero issues, however, Electrify America is another story. Thank god on our way to KS we were the first ones to use the Salinas, UT and Green River, UT chargers, as they literally went online the night before we were driving through. This closed a major gap on I-70.

We only ran into one station out of all where we couldn't pull ANY charge... one the return from KS, the Frisco, CO chargers were all down. Fortunately we had charged to 100% in Denver. We were able to just skip the charge in fresco and make it down to Glenwood Springs with 30% remaining (mostly downhill.)

After both trips, I would say the success rate of getting 150kW out of a station (even just ONE pump) was maybe 60-80%... it was literally a celebration if we got the full speed. Some stations would only pump out 35-50kW, in these cases we would get minimum charge to get to the next station.

Big Tip - check every planned station on PlugShare before you go and see if any stations are having major problems and plan to avoid them if possible... I-15 allows for this as there are lots of stations. For example, last week driving to Park City, the Barstow chargers were SLOW - so we just used Baker and Hesperia on the return... 2 fast 20 minute chargers are a lot better then One 90 minute charge... Check for EV-Go stations, the one in Baker was nice as it had SHADE... there aren't really any others outside of social that I noticed.

There is probably a lot more than I could say or am forgetting, but those are the main points. Feel free to ask any questions - over 5000 miles in 3 weeks on the car, and $0 in fuel.
Yes $0 in fuel, as I figured out I could use the energy credits from my wife's e-tron for my car... the app doesn't care!

great divide

Glenwood springs

Arches national park

Moab

Utah

The following 3 users liked this post by KSpider:
e-tronDriver (07-23-2020), LavaGrau_A3 (07-23-2020), thebishman (07-24-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks for the report! Looks like you had a great trip. Your experience with ABRP matches mine -- I've gotten to where before any extended journey I just plan the whole route with ABRP and trust it completely.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Where am I missing the built in NAV arrival SoC monitor?

I see the estimated range display on the map, but I cannot recall seeing the arrival SoC estimate that is continually updated.

I have been using ABRP and find it has been slightly underestimating range (which is a whole lot better than overestimating) and I have been arriving 5 to 8 percent higher than predicted on trips > 100 miles.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by weth
Where am I missing the built in NAV arrival SoC monitor?

I see the estimated range display on the map, but I cannot recall seeing the arrival SoC estimate that is continually updated.

I have been using ABRP and find it has been slightly underestimating range (which is a whole lot better than overestimating) and I have been arriving 5 to 8 percent higher than predicted on trips > 100 miles.

click on the finish flag / eta square on the right edge of Nav screen.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 689 Likes on 500 Posts

Has anybody started using the Pro version of ABRP? It is not getting telemetry data yet from the etron, but the other functionality is working. (Only Tesla telemetry is used right now)

Quick Reply: San Diego - Kansas City Road Trip - I 15 & I 70