Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

San Diego - Kansas City Road Trip - I 15 & I 70

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Default San Diego - Kansas City Road Trip - I 15 & I 70

On Saturday my family will be embarking upon a 1,660 mile trip and back. I have previously done Vegas to San Diego (300 miles), with 2 quick charging stints that went off without a hitch. I am hoping this much much longer trip, with a full vehicle, will go smoothly. I am REALLY hoping the Green River, UT charger goes online in the next 3 days!

Any tips from others than have done long trips?

I will be using ABRP.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

I have completed 1200 miles round trip between CT and MI, last September
  • check weather forecast - wind direction and rain - for those long stretch.
  • check tire pressure - inflate higher, than normal
  • ABRP accounts for elevation, but make sure you know how to use the live mode, to monitor real-time, how far you are deviating from the estimate ( you will have to update the SoC periodical)
  • before the trip, run some what-if scenarios. what if a particular station is not working ( e.g. plan a hotel stay (with free charging) near the unreliable station(s) - based on EA status and plugshare scores)
  • a new coat of wax.
  • remove roof racks or move them further back.
  • bring a squirt bottle with alcohol and water mix to clean bug off sensors and windshield ( you may not be stopping at gas stations as often )
  • windshield shade while charging

Last edited by 2KA6_2.7T; 06-17-2020 at 12:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KSpider (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

UV shield is a great idea thanks.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KA6_2.7T
I have completed 1200 miles round trip between CT and MI, last September
  • check weather forecast - wind direction and rain - for those long stretch.
  • check tire pressure - inflate higher, than normal
  • ABRP accounts for elevation, but make sure you know how to use the live mode, to monitor real-time, how far you are deviating from the estimate ( you will have to update the SoC periodical)
  • before the trip, run some what-if scenarios. what if a particular station is not working ( e.g. plan a hotel stay (with free charging) near the unreliable station(s) - based on EA status and plugshare scores)
  • a new coat of wax.
  • remove roof racks or move them further back.
  • bring a squirt bottle with alcohol and water mix to clean bug off sensors and windshield ( you may not be stopping at gas stations as often )
  • windshield shade while charging
Maybe stick your hands out the window and air paddle to get a few more inches of range. Or hell, just go outside and push the car some. Good grief. :-)
The following users liked this post:
isellpower (07-25-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

If E.A. doesn't open. There are three KOAs in Green River, although only L2, with 225 miles on that leg I don't think the etron can make it even @ 49MPH that A Better Route Planner suggests. Who wants to go 49MPH on a major interstate highway? Maybe call ahead and see who has the best deal for short charge. Take your L2 charger just in case you need it @ a hotel.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bill33525
If E.A. doesn't open. There are three KOAs in Green River, although only L2, with 225 miles on that leg I don't think the etron can make it even @ 49MPH that A Better Route Planner suggests. Who wants to go 49MPH on a major interstate highway? Maybe call ahead and see who has the best deal for short charge. Take your L2 charger just in case you need it @ a hotel.

Yes I saw those options, as a last resort, I figure a couple hours on an L2 should add enough range to get us to Grand Junction.

We wanted to hit up MOAB for a few hours there is a 50kw DC Fast -chargepoint+ there, and ABRP says 62 mph average to get to MOAB from richfield... this may be a good option, as it should charge up quick enough to then get to Grand junction from Moab that evening.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been planning to go over this stretch of road as well. Haven't done it yet but think a stop in Moab is a must. I'd appreciate it if you'd let us know how it goes.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by cnpc
I've been planning to go over this stretch of road as well. Haven't done it yet but think a stop in Moab is a must. I'd appreciate it if you'd let us know how it goes.
I will definitely provide trip report
Old 06-18-2020, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the Richfield, UT to Grand Junction, CO leg, take a look at this thread. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ld-ut-2988306/ I drove from Las Vegas to Colorado in late January with a stop in Moab. Plan B was to use the campgrounds or parks in Green River.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Plan with Green River stop.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?pla...6-8bc225477122

Plan with Moab stop.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?pla...1-f159cadee6a7

I think the Green River plan is better. More margin, faster total time. There is one charger in Moab, if it is down or busy you are even more delayed. It is a "50kW" unit, so you will get closer to 40 kW, compared with "9.6kW" from a RV 50 Amp plug. But you need to drive more, and charge more.

Last edited by WetEV; 06-18-2020 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: San Diego - Kansas City Road Trip - I 15 & I 70