Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Recall: High-Voltage Battery Module(s) 93U9/23V867

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

That has to be a temporary solution while we wait for a full solution.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1
That has to be a temporary solution while we wait for a full solution.
Yes, there is no remedy available for this recall.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jskcowboy
Update on the 93U9 recall: Finally hear back from the dealer's service department. After testing the battery, it is functioning normally and will not need a replacement.
TSB #2060814/3 was also performed and turns out that the module was at fault. The module was reading 1.8 miles per kilowatt and after it was replaced, it is now showing 2.3 miles per kilowatt on the GOM.
At 78% SOC, the range is showing at 153 miles. Hope this TSB repair will clarify the range issue that some of you had recently.
I am confused, if your battery is functioning normally why are they giving you sticker that shows you can only charge to 80%!? It would only make sense they do that for the cars that need some battery modules replaced - until those become available...

Last edited by nadrealista; 02-29-2024 at 05:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Midnight77 (04-07-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by nadrealista
I am confused, if your battery is functioning normally why are they giving you sticker that shows you can only charge to 80%!? It would only make sense they do that for the cars that need some battery modules replaced - until those become available...
​​​​​​
​​​​​​I believe that they have no solution to the problem yet, so they are just dragging their feet and playing it safe by recommending the car only be charged to 80%. Let's just wait it out and see how everything unfolds in coming months. I also turned in my 240V cable from the factory charger. I asked the service advisor when the new cable will be available. She wasn't sure. I believe someone will eventually file a class action law suit, similar to the Chevy Bolt.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a know solution - replace affected battery modules. The current problem is that they don't necessarily know which ones that need replacement, and can't cope (logistically/financially) to replace all preemptively. The BMS update that is coming out in Q3 will (mostly) not be about making the battery cells better, but being able to detect an imminent failure in-car, and alert the driver in the dashboard.

There are two recall codes (see previous post for details). For cars with 93U3 like @jskcowboy , Audi has no remote telemetry. Thus even after having brought the car in for a check-up (that shows everything is currently fine), they can not keep an eye on what happens going forward. Thus the need for a reinspection every four months (until the Q3 update), and meanwhile require more gentle use of the battery with 80% max charge.

For cars with 93V2, Audi do have remote telemetry, and will babysit your car until you get the Q3 update allowing the car to alert you directly. Hence these cars are allowed to charge to 100% (although still not recommended for daily use). The subset of 93V2 cars that have shown failure symptoms, are already getting battery modules replaced.

As to what is actually wrong, the public documentation is vague, but talks about an uncontrolled discharge of cells. My guess would be dendrite formation inside the cells, causing small shorts. These will most often blow like a fuse and stop any further discharge and thermal events, but leave a detectable trace of a cell being slightly lower charge level than the others (until next charge). Thus the BMS update could be to look for cells that loose energy when parked - at least more than the rest of the pack.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I got my e-tron back from the 40K service. For the recalls, they ended up taking the 240V cable from the EVSE and the 93U9 test didn't provide enough data to evaluate the HV battery, so I have to return in 42 days to retest.

Old 03-02-2024, 03:03 AM
BW5
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm hoping someone can summarize this issue and thread for me.
I'm on a road trip this weekend, with a horrible internet connection and all the screenshots in this thread are making it not load.....

So I did receive this recall notice
My GOM range for a very long time has been hovering just under 200miles for the most part, at 100%soc.
My routine is to charge nightly to 80%, and only rarely charge higher, but when I do it's generally in the 190's
my recall letter did indicate that they are seeing telemtry data for my car and there were no issues at that time

Yesterday on a road trip, I went approx 150 miles between HS chargers, and my SOC got down to 6%...the lowest I've ever seen. Charged at an EA station to 100%, GOM range 162miles
interestingly, 162/200 = 0.81, or about 80% of full range

I did see in this thread the posts about folks getting stickers to limit their max charge to 80% has me wondering, do you think that somehow my battery is now limited to 80%...maybe through telemetry settings?
otherwise, does this mean that 20% of my battery cells are kaput?
regardless, I guess I'm screwed on a road trip now, far away from home and limited to 80% range without warning.
So here's where the summary request really comes into play..... are there any nuggets about this issue that I might be missing not being able to confidently read through the entire thread?
thanks

Last edited by BW5; 03-02-2024 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 687 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by BW5
I'm hoping someone can summarize this issue and thread for me.
I'm on a road trip this weekend, with a horrible internet connection and all the screenshots in this thread are making it not load.....

So I did receive this recall notice
My GOM range for a very long time has been hovering just under 200miles for the most part, at 100%soc.
My routine is to charge nightly to 80%, and only rarely charge higher, but when I do it's generally in the 190's
my recall letter did indicate that they are seeing telemtry data for my car and there were no issues at that time

Yesterday on a road trip, I went approx 150 miles between HS chargers, and my SOC got down to 6%...the lowest I've ever seen. Charged at an EA station to 100%, GOM range 162miles
interestingly, 162/200 = 0.81, or about 80% of full range

I did see in this thread the posts about folks getting stickers to limit their max charge to 80% has me wondering, do you think that somehow my battery is now limited to 80%...maybe through telemetry settings?
otherwise, does this mean that 20% of my battery cells are kaput?
regardless, I guess I'm screwed on a road trip now, far away from home and limited to 80% range without warning.
So here's where the summary request really comes into play..... are there any nuggets about this issue that I might be missing not being able to confidently read through the entire thread?
thanks
Is this an observation based off of one charging experience?

What was you short term efficiency?

Why do you think that you are hosed on this road trip? I'd keep going. We just don't know enough about the issue yet. I'd also keep charging however you need to to get to the next planned charge location. If it needs 80% charge 80% if it need 100% go for it.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 687 Likes on 498 Posts

Why are people turning their EVSE dongles in? Just don't take it to the service appointment with you. The dealer is not coming to your house.
The following 2 users liked this post by A4 Phil:
JNealCox (03-02-2024), nadrealista (03-05-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 04:17 AM
BW5
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

I only think I'm hosed because I'm only getting about 80% of the range I should be getting when charged to 100%.... and yeah, I will keep going... The only choice I have, I'm here, and to get home I gotta keep going

checking my app for the drive yesterday, it's reporting 46.2kWh/100mi. A little worse than the last couple road trips, but not so out of line I suppose. I was pushing it a little fast yesterday, cruising around 80-83

Quick Reply: Recall: High-Voltage Battery Module(s) 93U9/23V867