Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Recall: High-Voltage Battery Module(s) 93U9/23V867

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, my dealer didn't know about it (they only knew about the charging cable recall) so when I mentioned it, they said they'd have to get with management to figure out how to handle it and then call me back. It's been a number of days since then. With the letter stating the dealer may need the car for 2 days to test the battery cells, I am sure all the dealers are freaking out about how they are going to provide loaner cars. I know mine rarely has a loaner available, and say their loaners are booked around a month out.
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Feb 2024 Dealer Update

We purchased our 2024 SQ8 E-Tron in Dec 2023 and the dealer also removed the 240 plug before they delivered the vehicle to us. We opted for the $500 gift card as we already had a charger installed in our garage for our 2023 Mach-E.

Spoke to our dealership last week and they stated that we will be receiving a letter from Audi asking us to bring our vehicle in for testing to see if it is impacted by the cord overheating issue. The testing we are told would take 2 days and a loaner would be provided. If our E-Tron is determined that it is impacted, they would swap out specific electronics (cells I think he said) and then we would be required to come back 4 months later for further testing and then again 4 months after that.

Have to be honest for a minute and say that I have some heartburn after buying a new vehicle with a MSRP of $109,000 (not what I paid) with these potential electronic issues hanging over our head when we were told the cord itself was faulty and would need to be replaced by Audi. Replacing a plug is way different than possibly swapping out electronic parts including cells.

We really love our SQ8, but this might turn into something way bigger than we any of us ever expected.

Thoughts?
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1
Think he can get a recall replacement on his bad cells? :-P

Also, interesting datasheet. Looks like the cells are rated for 3C discharge continuously with a 10 second burst of 6.66C discharge.

Only a burst charge rate. Not seeing a continuous charge rate.

By extension 95kwh x 3C is 285kw continuous output or 382hp.

With an allowed 10 second burst of 632.7kw or 848hp.

Audi is not leaning on the batteries at all. Where are the tuners at?
You can pull that power from a cell perspective, but only if you can maintain the +25C temperature. I guess the battery cooling is not up to that. Peak discharge at 1.15 mOhm would be 184W power dissipation per cell, or 79 kW for the entire pack, that would have to be absorbed by the coolant and metal casing. (Radiator is thermally too far away).

Continuous output of 285 kW would result in 16 kW of heat in the battery, plus 30-40+ kW heat from the motors, all going to the radiator. A normal car radiator could handle that, but I think the e-tron one is a bit smaller. In my location, cars are also declared with max continuous power across 30 minutes, which is 165 kW for the e-tron 55. Audi has also stated that they want consistent performance across the charge level range and (normal) temperatures for this model, thus limited to available power envelope also outside the sweet spot of the battery.
Old 02-26-2024, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MattSQ8 ETron Sportback
We purchased our 2024 SQ8 E-Tron in Dec 2023 and the dealer also removed the 240 plug before they delivered the vehicle to us. We opted for the $500 gift card as we already had a charger installed in our garage for our 2023 Mach-E.
Spoke to our dealership last week and they stated that we will be receiving a letter from Audi asking us to bring our vehicle in for testing to see if it is impacted by the cord overheating issue. The testing we are told would take 2 days and a loaner would be provided. If our E-Tron is determined that it is impacted, they would swap out specific electronics (cells I think he said) and then we would be required to come back 4 months later for further testing and then again 4 months after that.
There is new additional information on the NHTSA website, which explains why there are two different codes on this recall, and why users get different information. Audi has for now grouped the cars into three classes
  • 93U9: These are cars where Audi lacks online status (e.g. a car without a SIM card, or where connection with the car's built-in eSIM is no longer paid; or a car that is in "Privacy mode"). These cars are taken to the workshop for an inital check-up, then every four months for follow-up checks until the new BMS software becomes available in Q3-2024.
  • 93V2 green group: Cars with online status, where there is so far no reason to suspect a fault. Here, no changes are made to the car until the BMS update is ready in Q3-2024.
  • 93V2 red group: Cars with online status, where there is already an error indication. These are taken in immediately for battery module replacement.
If you have a car that is online and switch on privacy mode, that might trigger you to fall into 93U9 and get the battery inspected soon.
The following users liked this post:
MattSQ8 ETron Sportback (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MattSQ8 ETron Sportback
Thoughts?
That car is likely too new to be affected by this recall, as Audi have since some time stopped using LG cells.
MattSQ8 ETron Sportback (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 537 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by orbit0353
That car is likely too new to be affected by this recall, as Audi have since some time stopped using LG cells.
The Q8 etron is not involved in the battery recall.
Old 02-26-2024, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Seeing that you also have a 2024 e-tron, what are the things you like the most and like the least about the vehicle? I'm just curious if the things I am seeing are just related to me being a Type A personality versus a serious gripe.
Old 02-27-2024, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default The smaller 71 kWh Battery is Samsung SDI Prismatic.

Hello!The small 71 kWh Battery used in Europe model 50 is Samsung SDI Prismatic
Old 02-27-2024, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ERuss
Well, my dealer didn't know about it (they only knew about the charging cable recall) so when I mentioned it, they said they'd have to get with management to figure out how to handle it and then call me back. It's been a number of days since then. With the letter stating the dealer may need the car for 2 days to test the battery cells, I am sure all the dealers are freaking out about how they are going to provide loaner cars. I know mine rarely has a loaner available, and say their loaners are booked around a month out.
I think this will all be a lot less painless if folks let the Audi monitor their battery online. data is there for them to determine whether the battery has problems remotely. everyone going to the dealers for 2 day battery check will be chaos since they already don't have enough etron techs to begin with..
Old 02-27-2024, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

There is more information on NHTSA website on the check of the battery. I was wondering what takes two days to check the battery in the age of the computer. This is the answer as per Audi instruction.

1, With the tech tool read the values of the battery module and save it into a file (around 40 minutes per Audi).
2, Send the file to Germany. As per Audi: "The analysis is carried out by factory representatives, located in Germany. Once the TAC case is created using the directions below, the data will be analyzed, and a response will be provided within 24 hours (in most cases)."
3, As per Audi "The response back from Germany may take up to 24 hours. During this time, the vehicle cannot be released to the customer"
4, When the mothership replies, then the car can be released if there is no module change needed. If the battery module(s) has to be replaced, the car cannot be released until the module got changed.
Tronification (02-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Recall: High-Voltage Battery Module(s) 93U9/23V867