Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Rear motor replacement due to leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 07:27 AM
HCx
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rear motor replacement due to leaking

Hey Guys, some of you might remember me from my last saga about a year ago where I replaced the rear transmission on my Etron.

Well it's been 30K miles since then (approximately 90K total miles) and I'm back to make another sticky thread for everyone.

This morning my I got a low coolant light and low and behold my rear coolant catch is full.

Now before I pull the motor apart, has anyone actually seen the seal that's causing the failure on these motors or am I going to be the first one to pull back the curtain on the 'fine German engineering' that's causing these failures? Depending on what's going on I have the means to design/manufacture a better seal since my motor hasn't completely died yet.

And does anyone know the best place/price to get one of these motors ordered? Located in the SouthWest.

Oh and I promise to document things better this time. Pinky promise.
The following users liked this post:
mhousealum (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

There should be a whole new industry to rebuild electric motors. They should rebuild them with better seals!
Old 04-04-2024, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

@HCx Good luck with it. Here is a video from Tesla Bjorn, there is Norwegian company who already took out e-tron motors (video from 16:32min). Maybe you can contact them for advice. Also they show the seals itself.

Last edited by anemeth; 04-04-2024 at 09:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HCx (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 10:11 AM
HCx
AudiWorld Junior Member

I reached out to them to see if they can provide me with some better pictures and/or a part number for the seal.

Thank you!
Old 04-04-2024, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

did motor short out or are you just getting low coolant warning?

if it is just low coolant warning I wonder if you could top it off and empty rear coolant reservoir to see how long would it take to fill up again - could be very slow coolant leak?

if not Audi e-tron Drive Motor - 0EF901091BB | Audi Rockville, Rockville MD

Last edited by nadrealista; 04-04-2024 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 05:06 PM
HCx
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nadrealista
did motor short out or are you just getting low coolant warning?

if it is just low coolant warning I wonder if you could top it off and empty rear coolant reservoir to see how long would it take to fill up again - could be very slow coolant leak?

if not Audi e-tron Drive Motor - 0EF901091BB | Audi Rockville, Rockville MD

I check my catch can levels every 10k or so like some sort of weirdo and at last check 5-6K ago it had maybe a tablespoon of coolant in it. (Consistent with past behavior)

So even if this is a more aggressive slow leak it's still unacceptable and a problem waiting to happen.

Thank you for the parts link. Hopefully I can get my bestie service advisor in town to match the price.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got mine back from the dealer today for front motor replacement due to coolant leak. My factory warranty was expiring later in the week when I got the dreaded electrical system malfunction message in the dash. This seems to be a matter of when, not if, this will happen. What the heck is Audi doing to prevent this from occurring once fixed? The car was perfect until this happened.
Old 04-05-2024, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

they will need to redesign the coolant seals, issue recall and repair the cars with leaks. other alternative is extended motor warranty 8yr 96K miles or something like that. otherwise I see class action lawsuit soon
Old 04-05-2024, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by nadrealista
they will need to redesign the coolant seals, issue recall and repair the cars with leaks. other alternative is extended motor warranty 8yr 96K miles or something like that. otherwise I see class action lawsuit soon
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. The early Telsa S still eat rear drive units on the regular. No class action there. About a $8k repair using factory refurbished drive units.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

tesla has 8 yr unlimited miles on model S for drivetrain/battery warranty, hard to argue that:

"Previously, Tesla had unlimited-mileage warranties for the battery and drive unit. Now, however, there are mileage limits. Model S/Model X Warranty: These models are covered by an 8-year/150,000-mile warranty, whichever comes first"

Quick Reply: Rear motor replacement due to leaking