Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Post your Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Post your Accessories

Being new to EV’s in general and celebrating my 1 week with the e-Tron, I thought it would be fun to see what types of accessories people put on or in there car.

So post away!
Old 02-13-2020, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 148 Posts

Not really EV specific, but I got this sun glass clip which is non-polarized so I can see the heads-up display:
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-16-2020, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

1) Aspherical left and right mirror (the way the car would be in Europe)
2) Steel pedal caps, so that my sneakers don't get caught on the pedals all the time anymore
3) Trailer hitch cover (the way a Q5 or Q7 would actually ship)
Old 02-16-2020, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stanj
3) Trailer hitch cover (the way a Q5 or Q7 would actually ship)
Wait.. the trailer hitch on e-tron lacks a factory provided cover?!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by frenchyb
Wait.. the trailer hitch on e-tron lacks a factory provided cover?!
Every single of the etrons with hitches that I saw (all two of them) had an open square without the plug in it. Looks weird to me.

Given that the missing hitch cover is the least problem with the hitch itself, it was an easy thing to fix. The real problem is that it's way too deeply recessed and thus basically no hitch mount accessory fits. Also finding a ball hitch to tow a boat was an ordeal (no hitch place in San Jose had anything that would fit, and eventually the 6th order from Amazon worked).
The following users liked this post:
PetroK (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, I had issue mounting my bike rack as well, ended up buying hitch extender and also did few tries from Amazon
Old 02-17-2020, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by PetroK
Yep, I had issue mounting my bike rack as well, ended up buying hitch extender and also did few tries from Amazon
And then you try to add a locking pin. You find out that it can be pushed only from right to left, because the power outlet is in the way of it going from left to right. Once you push the pin in, you'll find that there's no room for a normal locking head between the hitch receiver and the power outlet. You find yourself searching for the one locking pin that has the lock going sideways, and then - if you hold the lock in place just right - you can slide in the pin from the right just into the hole in the lock.

Whoever "designed" this should go work for Tesla. I bet that someone in Bavaria said "square receptacle and a power socket - check" and that was it. Why they couldn't put the Q5/Q7 design on the etron is beyond me.
Krufka (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

And then you try to add a locking pin. You find out that it can be pushed only from right to left, because the power outlet is in the way of it going from left to right. Once you push the pin in, you'll find that there's no room for a normal locking head between the hitch receiver and the power outlet. You find yourself searching for the one locking pin that has the lock going sideways, and then - if you hold the lock in place just right - you can slide in the pin from the right just into the hole in the lock.

Whoever "designed" this should go work for Tesla. I bet that someone in Bavaria said "square receptacle and a power socket - check" and that was it. Why they couldn't put the Q5/Q7 design on the etron is beyond me.
LOL I really went through the same hops and ended up using hitch extender upside down, so I can insert pin from left

And in all seriousness, I'm shocked that basic scenarios in 86k car were simple not user tested. If they try any bike rack, they would immediately see that this bad design.

Last edited by PetroK; 02-17-2020 at 12:47 PM.
stanj (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you guys use the factory installed hitch socket without any issues? Mine seems has power cut off for trailer hitch lighting ... Is there an extra settings in MMI to activate power on that socket?
Old 02-17-2020, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

eventually the 6th order from Amazon worked).
Care to share the Amazon link?

Quick Reply: Post your Accessories