Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Need Advice on a 2019 e-tron Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on a 2019 e-tron Purchase

Hi Everyone,

I’m a huge EV fan, and after much debate over a Tesla and others, I think I want to go the eTron route as my first EV. Now that prices are starting to come back down, I have my eye on a fully loaded 2019 Prestige.

I’ve read several threads within the forum and have a few questions:
  • Early and Late 2019 – I’ve read there are differences (i.e., new motor design updates) within the 2019 MY, which is understandable considering how long it spans. Where is the build dividing line between early and late MY 2019? What should I look for to determine a late MY 2019 build?
  • Matrix Headlights – Audi always promised to enable the matrix headlights once the DOT changes its regulations. Now that the DOT approved the lighting, what is the status of Audio activating the matrix headlights? Has anyone had it done?
  • Mobile App Connection to the Car – What is the pricing model for this connection? Is it included for x number of years, or is it like older Audi’s where a SIM card for the car is needed?
  • SOS Telematics – Like the previous question, what is Audi’s pricing model? My last BMW had ten years included for free.
  • Drive Motor Failures – How prolific is this problem? What should I look for on a test drive?
  • Battery Health Diagnostics – Is there an app or scanner that can determine the battery's health and how many Level 3 changes occurred on the battery?
  • Charger and Door Issues – There were many early reports of charging cables getting stuck and charging door failures. Have these issues been resolved?
  • Dual Charger Port – I’ve heard some eTrons are equipped with dual charging ports (one on each side); which package includes this option?
  • Apple CarPlay – How well does it work? I’ve seen a few forums where some are having issues.
  • Audi Support – Is Audi still supporting this car (i.e., App support and vehicle updates)? Are you happy with the support they are providing? I’ve read that some are having difficulties at the dealer level.
Are there any other major issues I am missing?

If you are willing, please share your ownership experience.

Thank you in advance for the advice and your time.
Old 10-02-2022, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

Ran into this compilation of changes: https://electrichasgoneaudi.net/mode...ron/mychanges/
Old 10-02-2022, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@Bill33525 Very helpful. Thank you. The unit I'm looking at appears to be the first build.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 682 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by MegaAutoBit
@Bill33525 Very helpful. Thank you. The unit I'm looking at appears to be the first build.
I own an early build. The only thing that you will miss is the ability to adjust SOC from the app. It would come in handy.

Also in the 21's a heated sterring wheel is added. Would have been nice.

Other than that, they are the same.

Oh and I have no idea what the LIDAR does, though mine has failed a few times and needed to be replaced. (Warning in the instrument cluster)

Old 10-03-2022, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 148 Posts

To answer some of your remaining question, the stuck charge door is no longer an issues after the updates were installed. Mine was built in May 2019 and I have not had any problems during the last couple of years. The dual charge ports were not available for the 2019 in the US (but in Europe).

The motor failure is certainly a very annoying issue for anybody affected. But it seems that it is not overly wide spread of an issue. You do have an eight year warranty on the motor so there is at least that peace of mind.

While adjustable headlights are allowed, the government did not go for the same requirements as Europe. So Audi likely will have to make adjustments and then seek approval. That has not happened yet.
The following users liked this post:
Benz903 (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 682 Likes on 494 Posts

Your last bullet is Audi Support. I would say that Audi Support is excellent, however, there is really NO software updating as originally expected. Audi is simply not a software company and has not bought into the new model of software updates. The hardware maintenance is excellent. You will probably have to wait a few weeks for appointments as each dealer only has a tech or two.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

2019 Prestige e-tron here!

I use wireless Apple CarPlay. It connects when I turn on the car and stays connected. There has only been a few episodes over the 2 1/2 years I have owned the car where CarPlay wouldn't connect. It was always fixed by shutting down and restarting.

I have a technical 2019 (K) in the VIN, but no Lidar and I can update my state of charge from the app. My build info is listed as 07 2019 on the door pillar

Audi connect and SOS telematics- several levels. Connect Care for Etron is included for 10 years. Included is remote lock/unlock, car finder, vehicle status including charge info, SOS, remote HVAC. Then there is Connect Prime that is paid on 6 month intervals for $199 or $499 for 18 months. Add traffic info, google maps, POI search. There is also Connect Plus that adds in vehicle wifi for $25/month.

Battery Health - I signed up for the Recurrent monthly battery report. I am not sure if they are still accepting new requests. Recurrent Battery Reports

App support and Vehicle updates. - Audi did provide a few software updates. These required the car to be brought in. It is nothing like the continuous updates from Tesla. The app is not tremendous, but it has also undergone updates and is working better now. I receive over the air map updates on regular basis. No big changes that were initially promised such as Plug and Charge nor the matrix headlight updates.

Motor issues seem rare occurrence, but obviously significant to those that get them.

Charger door issues not a problem. Charger issue - just remember to pull up when connecting to CCS charger, especially Electrify America.

Make sure you understand the guess part of the GOM to save yourself anxiety. You will quickly get to know your car better then the GOM for range.
The following 2 users liked this post by weth:
Benz903 (10-03-2022), peterolsovsky (01-30-2023)
Old 10-03-2022, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@A4 Phil
Originally Posted by A4 Phil
The only thing that you will miss is the ability to adjust SOC from the app.
SoC = State of Charge?
If so, this isn't a huge issue, most EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) chargers provide the state of charge through their native apps.
My wife's XC90 also has limited charge controls via the app. We usually control the charging directly via the EVSE app.

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
Audi is simply not a software company
I understand, what I am really trying to understand is how well Audi is updating the Points of Interest (PoI) database. Specifically like the charger network, and I'm assuming the MMI displays the availability status of the EA chargers.

In addition, Audi claimed the eTron was the first Amazon-enabled car. Allowing users to connect to their amazon account and streaming service via the MMI, and if all these promised features were still working.

@weth
Originally Posted by weth
2019 Prestige e-tron here!

I have a technical 2019 (K) in the VIN, but no Lidar and I can update my state of charge from the app. My build info is listed as 07 2019 on the door pillar

Audi connect and SOS telematics- several levels. Connect Care for Etron is included for 10 years. Included is remote lock/unlock, car finder, vehicle status including charge info, SOS, remote HVAC. Then there is Connect Prime that is paid on 6 month intervals for $199 or $499 for 18 months. Add traffic info, google maps, POI search. There is also Connect Plus that adds in vehicle wifi for $25/month.

Battery Health - I signed up for the Recurrent monthly battery report. I am not sure if they are still accepting new requests. Recurrent Battery Reports
Great info, thank you. I'll make an effort to check the door sticker.

So, is Connect Prime also an internet subscription connection to the MMI? If so, can you stream internet radio, like a Tesla, over the MMI with Connect Prime?

This has been very enlightening, thank you to all.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 335 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasW;[url=tel:25752103
25752103[/url]]
The motor failure is certainly a very annoying issue for anybody affected. But it seems that it is not overly wide spread of an issue. You do have an eight year warranty on the motor so there is at least that peace of mind.
According to my service rep the motor issues are quite widespread and not limited to a particular model year (I had both fail and replaced).

Does the warranty really cover the motors for 8 years or is that just the battery?
Old 10-04-2022, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Tronification
According to my service rep the motor issues are quite widespread and not limited to a particular model year (I had both fail and replaced).

Does the warranty really cover the motors for 8 years or is that just the battery?
That is how I read the legal requirement. But I am not a lawyer.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on a 2019 e-tron Purchase