Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Low coolant light on cross country

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 688 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by nadrealista
so only front motor, what about rear one?
HA! Don't even get me started. Apparently it passed its local diagnosis and remote TAC inspection. We will see. Fingers crossed. I will say that I looked at the overflow canister before the service and it had about half an inch of coolant in it. Whereas for my last service it was full.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

doesn't full coolant canister indicate leak? I think they just punting until it fails.... Did they tell you it will be covered under warranty if it does 6-12 months from now?
Old 04-26-2024, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nadrealista
doesn't full coolant canister indicate leak? I think they just punting until it fails.... Did they tell you it will be covered under warranty if it does 6-12 months from now?
I believe that the answer to your question is yes. There is a leak. I also believe that Audi would say that is by design. The question is hiw much is too much? And to answer that you need to look at soooo many variables. (temp, pressure, hours it has been operated consecutively, stress compensating for front motor)

Audi claims to me that my rear motor is not damaged and that replacing the front motor will take work off the rear motor. That may solve the rear coolant leak. I will admit that my efficiency has jumped.

Finally, my rear motor coolant leak has been thoroughly documented by Audi. I have some faith that if it fails, Audi will cover it.
The following users liked this post:
MobileComfortDome (04-26-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
I believe that the answer to your question is yes. There is a leak. I also believe that Audi would say that is by design. The question is hiw much is too much? And to answer that you need to look at soooo many variables. (temp, pressure, hours it has been operated consecutively, stress compensating for front motor)

Audi claims to me that my rear motor is not damaged and that replacing the front motor will take work off the rear motor. That may solve the rear coolant leak. I will admit that my efficiency has jumped.

Finally, my rear motor coolant leak has been thoroughly documented by Audi. I have some faith that if it fails, Audi will cover it.
Glad you got the front motor replaced at last.

Re: the new front motor ‘taking work off of the rear’. Doesn’t the updated 2021 firmware now enable rear wheel drive only in steady state conditions in order to increase efficiency/range? That isn’t changing, so yeah: Audi passing the buck it seems.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 337 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Re: the new front motor ‘taking work off of the rear’.

Coolant leakage would be a function of the motor spinning, not of how much torque the motor happens to generate/apply.

Last edited by Tronification; 04-27-2024 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Tronification

Coolant leakage would be a function of the motor spinning, not of how much torque the motor happens to generate/apply.
This is how he explained it. The cars computer knows that the front motor cannot run in optimal fashion based on some parameter. So it uses rear motor to attempt to make up for that lack of power or whatever. Overall you see decreased efficiency. All I know is that with the front motor replaced, my efficiency has increased over what it was before. Beyond that simple Stat, I offer no conjecture aside from what the tech mentioned.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Here is a snap shot. Car turned in with bad front e-motor on 18 March. You can see it managing about 1.5. Then e-motor replaced on April 24 and the efficiency jumps.

Old 04-28-2024, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
Here is a snap shot. Car turned in with bad front e-motor on 18 March. You can see it managing about 1.5. Then e-motor replaced on April 24 and the efficiency jumps.

If a defective front motor is replaced with a new one, it makes sense that your efficiency could increase.

I was specifically responding to the tech’s explanation about not replacing your problematic rear motor ‘because the new front motor will relieve stress on the rear motor’, or some such complete nonsense. Since the car defaults to rear wheel drive only in many situations, there is no way that the new front motor is going to somehow magically enhance the lifespan of your rear motor. It wasn’t replaced purely as an economic decision.
The following users liked this post:
nadrealista (04-29-2024)