Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Low coolant light on cross country

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
Update after service:
The note to everybody is that apparently, if you take your e-tron in, Audi is REQUIRED to conduct the battery diagnosis. That diagnosis is not a 5 minute code pull from the OBD, but takes a few hours connected to the mothership.
No it should not take that long. Audi Germany reimburses only 36 minutes dealer time, thus according to Audi it should not take more than 36 minutes. It is a code pull and to send the code pull file to Germany, and Audi will send back the result in 24 hours. You can download the full instruction from the NHTSA website: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=23V867000

Last edited by anemeth; 03-16-2024 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Update after service:

Ok, the battery recall has thrown a total wrench into all things e-tron. I now have a scheduled appointment on Monday. At that time Audi Service HAS to hook the car up to the mothership for the battery cell monitoring. That apparently takes a few hours. THEN the mothership makes a determination as to whether or not the actual e-motor problem is E drive controller or Battery control module problem. IF the problem is battery control module, well then, an interminable wait might start. If it is e-motors as suspected before, then it is motor swap time...finally.

The note to everybody is that apparently, if you take your e-tron in, Audi is REQUIRED to conduct the battery diagnosis. That diagnosis is not a 5 minute code pull from the OBD, but takes a few hours connected to the mothership.
well that is very interesting. I can't believe you let them give your car back without replacing the motors that clearly had coolant leak(s) - those don't fix themselves!?
Old 03-18-2024, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 687 Likes on 498 Posts

Audi TAC case opened today as the codes indicated front motor failure. Service put me in a loaner (Q5) and said motor replacement will take two weeks including new motor shipping.

Note to all, motor replacement is covered by warranty. Apparently e-motor warranties were recently extended. I could not get service advisor to give me details on that. But I asked because I wanted to be very clear about where I thought this fell on responsibility. My car OEM warranty hit 48 months in December though am only at 48750 miles. I'll look for more information about that warranty extension.
Old 03-18-2024, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Note to all, motor replacement is covered by warranty. Apparently e-motor warranties were recently extended. I could not get service advisor to give me details on that. But I asked because I wanted to be very clear about where I thought this fell on responsibility. My car OEM warranty hit 48 months in December though am only at 48750 miles. I'll look for more information about that warranty extension.
I hope they send out an official e-motor warranty extension soon. I was planning on buying the extended warranty just for the e-motors, but might hold off if they extend it.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by taminatorv
I hope they send out an official e-motor warranty extension soon. I was planning on buying the extended warranty just for the e-motors, but might hold off if they extend it.
I'll dig more into this. This piece of news was a surprise to me as well.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 336 Likes on 233 Posts

Note to all, motor replacement is covered by warranty. Apparently e-motor warranties were recently extended. I could not get service advisor to give me details on that.
Do you have any reference to that, other than verbal communication from the service advisor?
Old 03-18-2024, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Tronification
Do you have any reference to that, other than verbal communication from the service advisor?
Both the Service Advisor and the Service Manager were talking to me because I was pretty upset this issue had been identified last August and not fixed. So I asked explicitly who was covering the new e-motor and they both said that it would be covered by warranty as the e-motor warranty had recently been extended.
Old 03-18-2024, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 336 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil;[url=tel:25893801
25893801[/url]]Both the Service Advisor and the Service Manager were talking to me because I was pretty upset this issue had been identified last August and not fixed. So I asked explicitly who was covering the new e-motor and they both said that it would be covered by warranty as the e-motor warranty had recently been extended.
I called the dealership today and asked about this. The SA looked up my VIN and read back to me all listed extended coverage. The sunroof, dashboard and ball joints showed up but nothing about the motors. That might mean you are covered because you identified the issue while still under warranty.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ok. Car finally returned to me yesterday. It runs great.

I know that this thread has become fragmented, but I am going to enclose the billing back in the original thread here. So here it is.

The following users liked this post:
nadrealista (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

so only front motor, what about rear one- I thought it had coolant leak as well?

Last edited by nadrealista; 04-26-2024 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Low coolant light on cross country