Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Low coolant light on cross country

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

@A4 Phil when are you heading back to DC? did you check your new rear coolant cartridge once you arrived to your destination?
Old 08-07-2023, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I was taking look at the motor cooling design and this thermal cross section image caught my attention. Is it possible that core on these motors gets as hot as 175C?

https://electrichasgoneaudi.net/mode...vetrain/motor/

Old 08-07-2023, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 687 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by nadrealista
@A4 Phil when are you heading back to DC? did you check your new rear coolant cartridge once you arrived to your destination?
I'll be back in DC on Friday. I already have an appointment at my local Audi Service center on Monday the 14th. I talked to them briefly. They seem to understand what I am talking about.
Old 08-09-2023, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JNealCox
Hardware-wise the Q4 and Q6, on the MEB and PPE pure EV platforms, respectively, are not "transition" products. The ultimate EV platform, the SSI, scalable platform is years out. I have the impression that the Q4, though, was released with half-baked firmware. I think that experience finally forced Audi to realize how bad their software division was, and highlighted just how important the software/firmware is. I am thinking Audi bought the Chinese company to work on the SSI platform. This will allow all efforts to focus on the upcoming Q6--it's way too late to switch horses on the Q6. The Q6 etron does sound like it brings some major improvements, as well as even greater software challenges. On top of my "very interesting" list is the fact that it will have a rear PSM motor (permanent magnet) and a front Synchronous (electromagnetic) motor. I don't know of any other EV maker with something like that. Audi has developed the expertise for the former via the GT, and for the latter via the Quattro/Q8.

Also, always take with a grain of salt what an Audi salesman tells you about the EV models.
The Q4 is running VW's software underneath an Audi skin, which is why it is so terrible. The MyAudi app for the Q4 lacks all the functions the rest of the Audi range has like remote lock/unlock and geofencing/speed/valet alerts.
The following users liked this post:
JNealCox (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 538 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeD
The Q4 is running VW's software underneath an Audi skin, which is why it is so terrible. The MyAudi app for the Q4 lacks all the functions the rest of the Audi range has like remote lock/unlock and geofencing/speed/valet alerts.
They are both on the MEB EV platform, so you would think they would share a lot of firmware/software.
Old 08-10-2023, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tronification
Agree with @nadrealista, there's a new motor with your name on it, being built right about now in Hungary.

From everything we've learned here, the seals eventually fail and the motors get fried, and there's no feasible preventative maintenance that one can perform to avoid that. Trade out of the car or buy that extended warranty and carry on.
On that note, really curious as to what motor builds for those with long warranties will look like down the line. Will there be even longer wait times as Audi prioritizes the Q8 Etron and whatever else to come close to 2030.
Old 08-15-2023, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

@A4 Phil did you make it back? have you peeked to see how much coolant you have in your rear coolant cartridge? you should be able to see it just by puling the motor noise insulation to the side on the right rear..
Old 08-15-2023, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

Here is a picture of the Q8 Motor Coolant Tank which is the same as O-G etron. There is a small tower with a float inside it to indicate the fluid level. The tank generally seems to be about 2/3 full. It's hard to see the float without looking closely.

Old 08-15-2023, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

@Bill33525 I am talking about rear motor coolant cartridge which catches coolant that makes it past rear motor seals. it is located on the right rear (under axle) just above bottom engine cover. Everyone should check on these once a year at least.

Old 08-15-2023, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

I posted the front tank BC it's not obvious where the float indictor is located and the fact that the tank at first appears to need fuid.

Quick Reply: Low coolant light on cross country