Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Low coolant light on cross country

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 688 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Tronification
Props to the dealership for explaining things in a no-BS manner on video!

I'm going to hazard a guess and say you're going for the double whammy, like I did. That was more than a little bit that came out from the front and the rear is leaking quite badly, considering that the can was full and there's only a quart or so of coolant in there to begin with. This is consistent with what I heard from techs before, i.e. when it starts leaking, the motor failure is not far behind.

Notice that you got the error while on a road trip, exactly like I did. I suspect there may be something about driving for extended periods of time that damages the seals (perhaps they just get hotter or there's some coolant starvation issue and they get chewed up).

From the lidar sensor visible in the video, it looks like you have a 2019. Get that extended warranty and let the motors fail when they may! Use the info in my recent thread and try to get a decent price for it (in all fairness, Audi should suck it up and extend the warranty for all of us early adopters).
Yes I am an early '19, warranty expires in December. My plan is to make it back to DC and take it in to see how much coolant we have lost over that cross country leg. Then if we have lost anything significant, start asking for the motor replacements.

Regardless, I am going to dig into the Zurich warranty extension that was posted in another thread.

This car was only supposed to be my stop gap before a Q6 E-tron. And we all know what happened there.
Old 08-06-2023, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 337 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
This car was only supposed to be my stop gap before a Q6 E-tron. And we all know what happened there.
I don't know how that applies to the yet-to-be-released Q6, but I inquired about the Q4 the other day and the salesman, knowing that I have an Etron, said flat out "stay away from that ****".
I thought the Q4 and the Q6 were supposed to be the new "real" electric architecture, not a tweener like the Etron. Sounds like there's more work to be done there.
Old 08-06-2023, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 538 Likes on 399 Posts

I don't know how that applies to the yet-to-be-released Q6, but I inquired about the Q4 the other day and the salesman, knowing that I have an Etron, said flat out "stay away from that ****".
I thought the Q4 and the Q6 were supposed to be the new "real" electric architecture, not a tweener like the Etron. Sounds like there's more work to be done there.
Hardware-wise the Q4 and Q6, on the MEB and PPE pure EV platforms, respectively, are not "transition" products. The ultimate EV platform, the SSI, scalable platform is years out. I have the impression that the Q4, though, was released with half-baked firmware. I think that experience finally forced Audi to realize how bad their software division was, and highlighted just how important the software/firmware is. I am thinking Audi bought the Chinese company to work on the SSI platform. This will allow all efforts to focus on the upcoming Q6--it's way too late to switch horses on the Q6. The Q6 etron does sound like it brings some major improvements, as well as even greater software challenges. On top of my "very interesting" list is the fact that it will have a rear PSM motor (permanent magnet) and a front Synchronous (electromagnetic) motor. I don't know of any other EV maker with something like that. Audi has developed the expertise for the former via the GT, and for the latter via the Quattro/Q8.

Also, always take with a grain of salt what an Audi salesman tells you about the EV models.

Last edited by JNealCox; 08-06-2023 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JNealCox
Also, always take with a grain of salt what an Audi salesman tells you about the EV models.
He said he had owned an Etron GT, so maybe there's some bad taste from that ... who knows.
Old 08-07-2023, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Have you seen, sat in, or actually driven a Q4? It's cheap - not up to what I would consider a "luxury brand". The VW ID4 is actually nicer in some aspects.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also live in the DMV and I agree service like that is completely unheard of for any car brand. You really got lucky with that one. Mind if I ask how many miles you have on your car?
Old 08-07-2023, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mks632
Have you seen, sat in, or actually driven a Q4? It's cheap - not up to what I would consider a "luxury brand". The VW ID4 is actually nicer in some aspects.
Agreed. I thought it was crap for the money but the wife was interested, so I asked ...
That being said, the Etron interior isn't exactly all that fancy either. The plastics rattle and feel worse than my Golf.
Old 08-07-2023, 08:14 AM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

I've purchased most of my Audis from Audi Denver including my current e-tron. The owners are local and are usually present, and some of the sales people have been there forever. They know how to cater to the wealthy compared to the other local Audi stores, with luxury bathrooms and waiting areas with complimentary beverages and coffees, and a couple of smaller private showrooms in back featuring the more expensive or rare cars. It's a nice store and they usually have a ton of e-trons.
The following users liked this post:
A4 Phil (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering a Q8 etron. Is this still an issue with the newer cars?

Al
Old 08-07-2023, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 688 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by mtberman
I've purchased most of my Audis from Audi Denver including my current e-tron. The owners are local and are usually present, and some of the sales people have been there forever. They know how to cater to the wealthy compared to the other local Audi stores, with luxury bathrooms and waiting areas with complimentary beverages and coffees, and a couple of smaller private showrooms in back featuring the more expensive or rare cars. It's a nice store and they usually have a ton of e-trons.
I am not from Colorado. I was passing through while visiting relatives. I was pretty surprised by the level of service and the quality of the showroom and various waiting lounges. Even the "Audi Sport" store in the main showroom was nice. But again, most importantly, the customer service level and the fact that they had no issues fitting me in with a same day service was the most pleasent surprise.

Oh and as a side thought. When I went to pick up my car, I sat in the showroom lounge for 45 minutes and they sold three Q5's! While I was sitting there, people walking in abd buying Q5's. One of the customers had called ahead and the car was waiting. The other two just toured the showroom and purchased off the floor.

The dealership was also sponsoring some sort of National Bike Race in Littleton and had quite a bit of inventory parked around town with stickers on them.

Quick Reply: Low coolant light on cross country