Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Has Audi fixed e-tron reliability issues with the 2021 model?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 04:00 AM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

Every forum amplifies faults. Every new car I’ve owned had reports of things that got outsize attention online, only a few of which affected me. When the “new” Prius came out in late 2003 I ordered one, and got one of the first in Colorado. The old PriusChat forum instantly revealed problems reported by multiple owners. Some affected me, most didn’t.

There will always be a list of reasons not to buy any car. I’ve taken both my e-trons all over Colorado and it’s been great. Now is a great time to lease one if you want to try but don’t want to get stuck with a bad car.

Last edited by mtberman; 04-03-2021 at 04:02 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mtberman:
Lucken2 (04-03-2021), marraccinijd (04-04-2021), TTom TTR (07-20-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With only 1981 miles, and got a series of messages. The one that worried me was the all-wheel drive "limited stability" warning - picture attached. Besides the all-wheel drive other warnings for suspension system, stabilization, tire pressure, lane departure, distance warning... Contacted dealership and they suggested not driving due to severity. After waiting on hold for Audi roadside service I am now waiting again (90 - 100 minute estimate) for a a tow vehicle. Glad this did not occur when driving or when it is over 100 degrees in the Arizona. Not sure how long I will be without my vehicle !!

Anyone else having e-tron reliability issues?

Old 04-05-2021, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Let us know what the problem was, and what loaner did the dealer give you? I assume u haven't yet gotten to the dealer, as I see you are awaiting roadside assistance.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 537 Likes on 398 Posts

Early on with my 2019 model I had a simultaneous slew of Driver Assist features fail on me. My cockpit display lit up like a scrolling Christmas tree. It gave me the feeling that the car was about to fall apart. Ended up all the problems were related to just one issue--failure of the Steering Wheel module. Hopefully, your problem will also come down to one simple failure.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glitchy Issues NOT fixed

Originally Posted by EVColorado
Dear Audi e-Tron owners,
I have been driving plug-in hybrids and EVs for a few years - both BMW and Nissan.
I looked into the Audi e-tron in 2019 and loved the design and the ride, but I was put off by the many reported reliability issues (leaky A pillars, random faults, rear light bar failures, phone app not connecting to the car, etc).
In your experience, has Audi successfully fixed these issues with the 2021 model?
Thank you in advance for your insights!
Nicolas
I have a 2021 e-tron, purchased in 3/2021. Have been experiencing small but consistent and different technical glitches since I bought the car. Issues with AppleCar play, got better after I went back to the dealer for an update... But sometimes the screen is just blank when connected to the phone. Constant issue with Pandora. Works but if you leave the car and come back, it often shows Pandora is on and playing but nothing works. You have to select a different app, open it and then go back to Pandora for it to work... Sometimes, when I turn the car on, a random address and message pops up on my navigation for an address in San Diego, telling me that it's wrong way driving. One time, my back up camera screens were totally blank when trying to back up in a busy parking lot, it was scary... Had to do a full system reset. The other day, got an error message that the cross traffic assist with malfunctioning and that I should contact service, that went away and has not come back. And now, more than 3 times, I've gotten a random message that the car couldn't charge due to a system error. I'm documenting all of this via photos and videos. Starting to think I got a lemon and very disappointed at all these issues. My first Audi...The car drives beautifully and I just want to enjoy it... Will be bringing my car back to the dealer for the third time since March...
Old 07-18-2021, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adanii123
I have a 2021 e-tron, purchased in 3/2021. Have been experiencing small but consistent and different technical glitches since I bought the car. Issues with AppleCar play, got better after I went back to the dealer for an update... But sometimes the screen is just blank when connected to the phone. Constant issue with Pandora. Works but if you leave the car and come back, it often shows Pandora is on and playing but nothing works. You have to select a different app, open it and then go back to Pandora for it to work... Sometimes, when I turn the car on, a random address and message pops up on my navigation for an address in San Diego, telling me that it's wrong way driving. One time, my back up camera screens were totally blank when trying to back up in a busy parking lot, it was scary... Had to do a full system reset. The other day, got an error message that the cross traffic assist with malfunctioning and that I should contact service, that went away and has not come back. And now, more than 3 times, I've gotten a random message that the car couldn't charge due to a system error. I'm documenting all of this via photos and videos. Starting to think I got a lemon and very disappointed at all these issues. My first Audi...The car drives beautifully and I just want to enjoy it... Will be bringing my car back to the dealer for the third time since March...

I have the exact same issue with Pandora. Not sure if this is an Audi issue cause Spotify and Amazon Music work flawlessly. I've had my 19 Edition One now for a month. I got it used with 4200 miles. It now has 6k. It's been flawless for me so far. I did notice there's 4 recall campaign stickers under the hood so maybe that's why mines been trouble free?

Last edited by tboo72; 07-18-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tboo72
I have the exact same issue with Pandora. Not sure if this is an Audi issue cause Spotify and Amazon Music work flawlessly. I've had my 19 Edition One now for a month. I got it used with 4200 miles. It now has 6k. It's been flawless for me so far. I did notice there's 4 recall campaign stickers under the hood so maybe that's why mines been trouble free?
Interesting... Might be a Pandora issue... Glad to know that you haven't been experiencing other issues... I'm taking mine in on Friday for service again and will share all the glitches I have been having, I hope they can fix them so I can enjoy this car. Also, even when the doors are unlocked sometimes, I have to press the charging port button 4 times before it opens... Just stuff like this drives me crazy.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

After 6 weeks at the dealer service the issue was identified a a faulty ABS unit. Since the ABS unit is on the same CAN BUS network as other drive control modules errors occurred at random. The underlying issue, in my opinion, is the timing synchronization and lack of diagnostics on the specific failing component. A bad packet in the CAN BUS architecture can disrupt a subsequent data packet from a working component. Auto manufactures have not made a successful transition to digital infrastructure - in my opinion.

Last edited by Agile2.0; 07-20-2021 at 08:10 AM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
Multiphonic (07-20-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2021 bought in Dec. About 5K miles. Overall trouble free other than the rear tail gate opening by itself.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by danielk015
I have a 2021 bought in Dec. About 5K miles. Overall trouble free other than the rear tail gate opening by itself.
Glad your e-tron has been trouble free. Based on the New Jersey Department of Insurance e-trons have a 10 times higher lemon rate than the Q5. Ironically also about 8 times higher than the Tesla. As I tell people when the vehicle is operational it is a wonderful experience. The issue is the 7+ weeks it has been at the Audi dealer for issue resolution. I've owned Audi's for 30 years and this is the first time I had reliability issues. But this was also the first Audi EV.

Quick Reply: Has Audi fixed e-tron reliability issues with the 2021 model?