Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by stanj
In my book the garage door opener system is completely broken.

What's your usual way of leaving home? In my case, get in the car, boot it, I back out of the garage, across the driveway, and I'm on the road. For that I am using the backup camera. Now the GPS enabled garage button overlay is covered by the backup camera. I can close it with the X button, and about 50/50 the close button overlay is already gone. So I followed people's advice and put the garage door function on the * button on the wheel, but half the time the underlying functionality hasn't booted yet (you can see the indeterminate progress bar bouncing on the various displays). So I can either wait on the street until the star button works, looking like a total moron, or I can press the home link menu and press the correct garage door icon.

Why did they remove the buttons from the headliner? Every single option is more complex than a button, and even if you want to save buttons and rely on soft keys, what is the first thing a person is going want to do when they have backed out of the garage, which the car knows I'm doing because I preset the location? There should be one big, easily accessible, visible, "Close garage" button there.

I know most people don't have private garages with a remote opener in Europe, so maybe the German engineer who "designed" this never gets to experience the glorious invention.
You must rush out of the garage a lot more quickly than I do. You're not involved with F1 in any way are you? (just teasing)

I climb in the car, boot the drive, fasten my seat belt, engage reverse, and back out onto the apron outside the garage. By the time I'm ready to engage drive to head down the driveway I press the star button to close the garage door. No problem. I guess those German engineers must have had me in mind.
The following users liked this post:
MN-EV (07-12-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

So I followed people's advice and put the garage door function on the * button on the wheel, but half the time the underlying functionality hasn't booted yet (you can see the indeterminate progress bar bouncing on the various displays).
Yes, it takes awhile to boot up after the car switched on, that probably programming issue.

Why did they remove the buttons from the headliner?
Because it was cheaper for Audi to make it this way.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

In my book the garage door opener system is completely broken.

So I can either wait on the street until the star button works, looking like a total moron, or I can press the home link menu and press the correct garage door icon.
i only have one garage door programmed. When I pull out of the garage I can dry quickly press the garage door button above the shortcuts on the lower console display and my garage door closes right away. Even while the “initializing...” screen has not finished loading!
Old 03-01-2020, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Spideymd
i only have one garage door programmed. When I pull out of the garage I can dry quickly press the garage door button above the shortcuts on the lower console display and my garage door closes right away. Even while the “initializing...” screen has not finished loading!
Exactly. I was experimenting with the vehicle boot up this morning and although the main screen was still initializing, within 2 seconds of pushing the start button I was able to open the garage door with the programmed * button.

BTW, the entire boot up process took just under 25 seconds. That's 10 seconds faster than it takes my Porsche to settle down from a cold start fast idle to normal idle, and I never put the car in gear and start to drive off before that happens. I guess I'm just not in that much of a hurry!
Old 03-01-2020, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Spideymd
The problem is if you have three garage doors programmed... Again, not your average German test engineer scenario.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I hav difficulties programming the homelink garage door opener on my new e-tron. I found, I believe on this forum, a procedure fixing the interference issue by removing a fuse. I can’t find it again. Someone can help ?
Old 07-12-2020, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis Samson
I hav difficulties programming the homelink garage door opener on my new e-tron. I found, I believe on this forum, a procedure fixing the interference issue by removing a fuse. I can’t find it again. Someone can help ?
I don't recall any fuses. But LED bulb on the drive unit or installed nearby are known to cause interference. Genie sells a LED garage bulb that is made to minimize interference
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
John (aka Daddio) (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Just to double check that I'm not missing something, when I use the garage door opener, I hit (what I think) is the homelink "button" on the lower screen, then select the garage I'm opening on that screen. Is there a different homelink button you guys are referring to (I don't think I ever got the garage selection on the upper screen, so I figure you guys have a different trick).

Also, maybe I programmed it wrong, but I assumed storing the GPS location of each transmitter would make it so that the car would automatically choose the correct transmitter based on my location, rather than me having to manually choose which garage to open every time. That hasn't been the case though, am I incorrect in what I'm thinking the GPS part of the garage door opener is supposed to do?
Old 07-12-2020, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KA6_2.7T
I don't recall any fuses. But LED bulb on the drive unit or installed nearby are known to cause interference. Genie sells a LED garage bulb that is made to minimize interference https://www.amazon.com/Genie-Garage-.../dp/B01IHHVZTW
Thanks Gerry
Old 07-13-2020, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock Tune
Also, maybe I programmed it wrong, but I assumed storing the GPS location of each transmitter would make it so that the car would automatically choose the correct transmitter based on my location, rather than me having to manually choose which garage to open every time. That hasn't been the case though, am I incorrect in what I'm thinking the GPS part of the garage door opener is supposed to do?
That's correct. I think the garage door opener function is fantastic. Leaving home I press the opener on the wall before getting in. Start the car, buckle up, plug in my phone, start a podcast or music. System is fully booted I pull out, tap the top menu bar which drops the quick menu for the garage doors, press the button and I'm off.

Coming home, the car detects when I'm approaching the house, pops up the garage door buttons automatically, I quickly press the door I want open and it's done. Park the car, get out, and press the button on the wall before heading in. I disliked the buttons in my '18 Q7. Much prefer this method especially since you can customize the name of each and can program so many.

Quick Reply: Garage door opener