Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Is the e-Tron the most amazing driving/comfort car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Is the e-Tron the most amazing driving/comfort car?

My short answer: Yes!

After 8,500 miles, 10 months of driving through Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring, I've easily concluded that the E-Tron Prestige (SUV) is the best driving/comfort car I've ever owned. In fact, the more I drive it, the more I love this car and hope that Audi leaves it as it is and doesn't push to change too much more except for updating technology and battery potential. People throw out platforms...again, look at the platform whom this car shares:

The next-generation MLB Evo platform is shared amongst the 2018-up 9YA Cayenne, Audi A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, Q5, Q7, and Q8, e-tron, VW Touareg, Bentley Bentayga, and Lamborghini Urus.

I've owned everything from Corvettes, Camaro's, Mercedes C class, BMW 7 Series, 3 Range Rover HSE's, 2 Range Rover Sports and this first Audi E-Tron. Hands down, the E-Tron leaves me wanting to drive it more - looking for every excuse for a trip in it. From the comfort, pampered, quiet ride no matter what type of road or condition, to the traction in every condition with just the all season Continentals, to the amazing touches of soft close doors, the Autonomous driving, HUD, lighting, roominess, quality of materials, and mostly the fit and finish. (I had a leaking sunroof).

Disappointments? Not many: the B&O Music System only. (and the leaking sunroof).

Range? More than adequate for every day, day trips and occasional long distance. With the 150Kw charging stations now popping up all over, a better stop than a greasy, nasty, gas station.
The value of this car, at this price, is truly amazing.

Highlights?: Comfort, Safety, Traction, Ride, Soft Close Doors, Lighting, Massaging/Cooling/Heating seats, HUD, Autonomous features, MIB System, Quietness, No more gas stations (dirty vs at home), Roominess, Displays, Drive in any condition.

Recommend?: Absolutely. Don't get caught into the comparison of numbers only. Instead, the experience of the car and the feel it gives and grows more of each time you drive it. Truly, the E-Tron SUV Prestige, hands down, wins in almost every category with this driver. (and don't wait to find out what is next/better, etc if you are on the fence or thinking about a new car - this is an amazing car, today and for tomorrow
The following 8 users liked this post by b-tron:
alevek (04-18-2021), BlackOptic (04-18-2021), dabaTTman (04-23-2021), Lucken2 (04-18-2021), marraccinijd (04-18-2021), oleaudi (04-18-2021), thebishman (04-18-2021), theo1000 (04-18-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-18-2021, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

I’d second that and I only have a ‘lowly’ Premium +, but I squeak by.
The following users liked this post:
Papavatsky (04-19-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Always nice to see some enthusiasm. I was puzzled by this reference though:
the Autonomous driving
Exactly what AD capabilities does the e-tron have?
Old 04-18-2021, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Pale Rider
Always nice to see some enthusiasm. I was puzzled by this reference though:

Exactly what AD capabilities does the e-tron have?
It is part of the automatic cruise control. It keeps you in your lane, brakes for other cars if necessary, and accelerates back to your set speed. It recognizes speed limit signs so it can adjust the speed. I had pretty good experience with it, there are a few people who reported some issues. I had someone cut me off pretty closely on the freeway and the car handled it pretty well on its own.

In my experience, it does not suffer much from phantom braking as it relies on other sensors in addition to just the cameras. The only time it braked hard for me was when it misread a speed limit sign and thought it was 5 mph instead of 50. It slammed on the brakes relatively hard but as soon as you touch the accelerator it stops doing that.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm assuming the reference is more towards the semi-autonomous driver assist features. I think how impressed you are with the audi offerings there really depends on your frame of reference and what you're coming from. I love my e-tron, but the lane following/drive guidance features are probably the place I think it's lacking the most compared to other cars on the market. My last vehicle was a Hyundai and the semi-autonomous features it had were significantly better.
Pale Rider (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with points made. I've only had mine for about a month but many of the things said ring true. Probably should have done this before purchase, but I did more research about EV's after the purchase and the perception that range is the only thing that matters is false and short sighted. Pitting range numbers against competitors is pointless. Because of the variance of factors that influence range making a decision about the total driving experience based on range only is futile and short sighted. Case in point. In a recent conversation with someone who said they'd never buy an EV because of range, I asked if the gas tank size was in the top 5 things he considered when he bought his vehicle. It was not. It did not make the top 10. Like b-tron says. Range is only one component of the vehicle. An important one yes. But it's not THE only consideration if people are being honest. There is more than enough range in this vehicle for my every day use. There is so much more to an EV and in particular Audi EV's that I appreciate. For me the quiet effortless power and refinement best describe my love of this vehicle. I'm excited about the future of EV's in general. I think things can only get better. For me. I'm convinced. Very likely my wife's Q5 comes out of the stable and is replaced with Q4. Kudos Audi. It's bright future for this loyalist.
dabaTTman (04-23-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 05:56 AM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

The answer is Yes. And if you're fortunate enough to have a Prestige, the sound insulating glass adds another dimension of comfort.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mtberman
The answer is Yes. And if you're fortunate enough to have a Prestige, the sound insulating glass adds another dimension of comfort.
It's hard to believe this thing can get any quieter. It's already 'tomb-like' in its sound insulation in the P+.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:07 AM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawksie
... the perception that range is the only thing that matters is false and short sighted ....
This ^^ This is the revelation that, when you have it, signifies you've pretty much fully adapted to EVs. Unless you're one of those heavy milers, prioritizing range above all else for an EV is like prioritizing fuel tank size above all else when choosing an ICE car.

The following 2 users liked this post by mtberman:
Pale Rider (04-18-2021), Papavatsky (04-19-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawksie
In a recent conversation with someone who said they'd never buy an EV because of range, I asked if the gas tank size was in the top 5 things he considered when he bought his vehicle. It was not. It did not make the top 10.

Agree that for many people range may be irrelevant for everyday use, and that metrics other than range are more important to consider.

However, with ICE vehicles, gas tank size is never a consideration as one is rarely more than 15 minutes from a gas station where it takes 2 minutes to re-fuel. Until the infrastructure improves for recharging electric vehicles, there are many for whom electric cars are presently impractical. For example we often visit our daughter, who lives over 250 miles away, and can return the same day and never be concerned about stopping to refuel (600+ miles on a tank offers peace of mind). While our kids are now grown and no longer play sports, those still involved with out of town hockey and soccer tournaments may not yet be ready for electric vehicles. So for some of us, until range and infrastructure improves, range is the only thing holding me back

Again, as you point out: once one determines that an electric vehicle is practical for their needs — range may be the least important factor to consider.

Quick Reply: Is the e-Tron the most amazing driving/comfort car?