Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

e-tron ceramic coated

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
Default e-tron ceramic coated

i just completed the lease buyout and decided to get the showroom shine back on the etron. normally i don't bother with these things since we don't keep cars for this many miles, and the cars are garaged almost all the time. i think the ceramic coat definitely brings out the shine and metallic flake in Daytona Grey. the body lines on the etron are really great, it's such a handsome looking EV. can't wait to see how the water beads off after the next rain!

The following 5 users liked this post by GL921:
A4 Phil (03-02-2023), coldrain85 (03-02-2023), peterolsovsky (05-15-2023), riguy (03-02-2023), thebishman (03-03-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks great. What product did you use?
Old 03-02-2023, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 136 Likes on 99 Posts

If a car that I own cost more than a certain dollar amount it gets a ceramic coat. Yes, my etron falls into that group, so I spent 2k on a ceramic coat for the paint and wheels and had the work done the day after the car was delivered.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:05 PM
Institutionalized Member

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

Ceramic coat really brings out the color. I have it on my Navarra Blue e-tron and it is amazing. I applied myself using CARPRO CQUARTZ UK 3.0. Great reviews, great results. $63 for 30ml, $83 for 50ml, but you also have to spend money for other prep items, spread out over several vehicles maybe $120/vehicle. I've applied this to 5 family vehicles. One other thing to note, I had some rock nicks on the paint on the hood of my e-tron when I applied a second coat about 6 months after the first coat. The second coat filled in those nicks and made them a lot less visible.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ml-drs
It looks great. What product did you use?
i think it's called Owners Pride. i took it to a highly rated shop in town to have it done, i really don't know much about ceramic coatings but i just felt that the etron could use some TLC inside and out. also it's been raining a lot recently and i noticed that our other car was really great at sheeting off water and looked like it was barely wet when we parked in the garage. vs. the etron that looked like it had a million water spots left all over the place (especially the hood and doors) and dripped on the garage floor all night. i'm hoping that the sheeting will reduce the overall contaminants on the paint from years 4-6.

we haven't babied the car at all but thankfully it's in great shape through many, many miles of kid hauling and carpooling, dusty soccer tournament venues, etc. time will tell how well the ceramic holds up, but i think i'm a believer now just by how smooth and slick the coating is right now. they coated all exterior surfaces including all the plastic trim and wheel faces. they even threw in the windshield coat which is nice since i just got a brand new windshield 3 weeks ago. they did a nice job polishing beforehand, all the nasty swirl marks on the black gloss areas in on the window pillars are gone. i almost want to take a cup of water now and pour it on the hood and watch it sheet off, but i think i can just wait til it rains again
Old 03-02-2023, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coldrain85
If a car that I own cost more than a certain dollar amount it gets a ceramic coat. Yes, my etron falls into that group, so I spent 2k on a ceramic coat for the paint and wheels and had the work done the day after the car was delivered.
Sacramento Taxing, I paid 800 for ceramic and 2500 for PPF on the front and doors in LA
Old 03-03-2023, 04:54 AM
Institutionalized Member

Originally Posted by geeplus
Sacramento Taxing, I paid 800 for ceramic and 2500 for PPF on the front and doors in LA
What is PPF? Personal Protection Film? Is the idea to protect against rock chips and door dings? Do you apply ceramic coat to the whole vehicle, then put PPF over the ceramic coat, or does what get the PPF not get ceramic coated?

The ceramic coat doesn't offer any level of protection. I've apparently picked up my share of rocks from highway vehicles. Have several paint scrapes on the hood that you can tell are from rocks, and I've had 2 rock chip dings repaired on my windshield (both low on the windshield, both just barely above the bottom tinted portion).
Old 03-03-2023, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 688 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by yeamac
What is PPF? Personal Protection Film? Is the idea to protect against rock chips and door dings? Do you apply ceramic coat to the whole vehicle, then put PPF over the ceramic coat, or does what get the PPF not get ceramic coated?

The ceramic coat doesn't offer any level of protection. I've apparently picked up my share of rocks from highway vehicles. Have several paint scrapes on the hood that you can tell are from rocks, and I've had 2 rock chip dings repaired on my windshield (both low on the windshield, both just barely above the bottom tinted portion).
Paint Protection Film

You clean the car. Apply PPF. Ceramic coat the car once PPF is on.

If you already have scratches and paint chips, you could do a full color correction first, then apply PPF and then ceramic coat.

All of this gets pricey. Ceramic Coatings make your car very easy to wash as nothing really sticks to them.
Old 03-03-2023, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by coldrain85
$2k! Hard pass on that for sure.
Old 03-03-2023, 05:51 AM
Institutionalized Member

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
Paint Protection Film

You clean the car. Apply PPF. Ceramic coat the car once PPF is on.

If you already have scratches and paint chips, you could do a full color correction first, then apply PPF and then ceramic coat.

All of this gets pricey. Ceramic Coatings make your car very easy to wash as nothing really sticks to them.
Thanks for clarifying PPF. I've not done much research on films because what I have done, it just seems like something I don't want to attempt myself, and like you say, to pay someone to do it, is very pricy. I'm a hands-on, DIY kind of guy when it comes to car cleaning. I've always been one to wax my cars 3x per year using Carnauba waxes, but they are only good for about 4 months. I discovered ceramic coating a few years ago once my kids started driving and I had more than 2 vehicles to wax throughout the year (5 vehicles in family at present). I went the do-it-yourself route after reading all kinds of reviews and decided on and was very happy with the results of the CarPro product. Since I hand-wash my vehicles about every 1-3 weeks it really does make cleaning much easier and shortens the time it takes to do it. Now when I get a new vehicle I ceramic coat immediately upon getting it home. The prep process is a whole lot easier with a new vehicle.

Originally Posted by sirfrancis
$2k! Hard pass on that for sure.
Do it yourself for about $100 total using CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0. Avoid the cheap ceramic coat products because I tried a $20 one once and it lasted only a few months. CarPro lasts 2 years and is worth it if you like a shiny, clean-looking car.

Last edited by yeamac; 03-03-2023 at 05:54 AM.

Quick Reply: e-tron ceramic coated