Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Charging continues past limit

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Charging continues past limit

I charge at home on a dedicated 20amp circuit using an EVSE that allows me to charge at the 1.6kwh max for the 20amp circuit. I normally charge every day or every other day from a SOC of no less than 70% to the limit I've set at 80% (as you can see, I don't drive all that much). This has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years.

Two of the last three times I've charged my car, charging has failed to stop at the limit. The first time, I was charging overnight, and when I went to drive in the morning, charging was still active and the SOC was 85%. The next time, charging automatically stopped at 80% as normal. Last night, I monitored the charging on the app. Charging reached 80%, but failed to turn off, and the app stated that there was still 11 hours +/- to go. I manually sopped the charging.

Has anyone experienced this problem and know how to avoid it? Any ideas as to what is happening?

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could just be a glitch. Did you try manually changing the setting on the App to another percentage, sending that setting to the car, and then changing it back in hopes that it resets something?
Old 04-20-2024, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by ForeAce
I charge at home on a dedicated 20amp circuit using an EVSE that allows me to charge at the 1.6kwh max for the 20amp circuit. I normally charge every day or every other day from a SOC of no less than 70% to the limit I've set at 80% (as you can see, I don't drive all that much). This has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years.

Two of the last three times I've charged my car, charging has failed to stop at the limit. The first time, I was charging overnight, and when I went to drive in the morning, charging was still active and the SOC was 85%. The next time, charging automatically stopped at 80% as normal. Last night, I monitored the charging on the app. Charging reached 80%, but failed to turn off, and the app stated that there was still 11 hours +/- to go. I manually sopped the charging.

Has anyone experienced this problem and know how to avoid it? Any ideas as to what is happening?

Thanks.
Check in the car to see what the limit is on the charging screen.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 369 Likes on 209 Posts

The limit could be changing due to a GPS location. The "advanced charging settings" in the MMI let you set a special charging profile for specific locations. The intent I believe is so that you can have it configured to charge to 80% when at home, 90% when at the fast charger across town, or 100% elsewhere, by default.

The implementation is, in usual Audi fashion, a complete clusterf%)@. I can't even count how many times I've thought that the charge limit was set to 100% and it was actually still at 80% because my "Home" charging profile had been triggered at some point. Or I thought that the limit was set at 80% when charging at home, only to find it keeps charging to 100% because I override the setting the last time I was at a fast charger.

I've learned to explicitly check the charge limit in the MMI before activating the charge timer and plugging in, because Audi's software will jump in there and "helpfully" change settings when you least expect it.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oddly enough this past weekend, something similar happened to me. I usually set limit to 80 but this weekend I was planning on going further out. Changed the setting on the app to 90 only to find it charged to 94 🤷‍♂️
Old 04-23-2024, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skaven81
The limit could be changing due to a GPS location. The "advanced charging settings" in the MMI let you set a special charging profile for specific locations. The intent I believe is so that you can have it configured to charge to 80% when at home, 90% when at the fast charger across town, or 100% elsewhere, by default.

The implementation is, in usual Audi fashion, a complete clusterf%)@. I can't even count how many times I've thought that the charge limit was set to 100% and it was actually still at 80% because my "Home" charging profile had been triggered at some point. Or I thought that the limit was set at 80% when charging at home, only to find it keeps charging to 100% because I override the setting the last time I was at a fast charger.

I've learned to explicitly check the charge limit in the MMI before activating the charge timer and plugging in, because Audi's software will jump in there and "helpfully" change settings when you least expect it.
I think this is the correct answer, as it just happened to me this morning. I had set the charge target to 80% on the charging screen, but forgot that I had previously set a 100% target in the advanced settings in prep for a long trip. When I checked it at breakfast, it was at 82% and still charging. I will need to go into the advanced settings and disable that 100% target setting.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 686 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by JPM2024Q8
I think this is the correct answer, as it just happened to me this morning. I had set the charge target to 80% on the charging screen, but forgot that I had previously set a 100% target in the advanced settings in prep for a long trip. When I checked it at breakfast, it was at 82% and still charging. I will need to go into the advanced settings and disable that 100% target setting.
Yes, the problem is the advanced settings.

I actually just punted the advanced settings after messing around with them for a week. I believe my goal had been to have the car charge itself to a minimum charge of 30% SOC and have the battery preconditioned for my departure, however, it wanted to charge to max all the time. I am sure that you can set a band, however, it just became sort of irrelevant as I figured out how easy the car was to charge. Now I just plug it in when I need to and just let it sit in the garage not plugged in otherwise. I don't get the advantages of battery preconditioning, but it seems fine and I still get cabin preconditioning.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
Yes, the problem is the advanced settings.

I actually just punted the advanced settings after messing around with them for a week. I believe my goal had been to have the car charge itself to a minimum charge of 30% SOC and have the battery preconditioned for my departure, however, it wanted to charge to max all the time. I am sure that you can set a band, however, it just became sort of irrelevant as I figured out how easy the car was to charge. Now I just plug it in when I need to and just let it sit in the garage not plugged in otherwise. I don't get the advantages of battery preconditioning, but it seems fine and I still get cabin preconditioning.
It appears the "Charging Locations" parameters override "Timer"settings. However when entering the Audi App and touching Charge/Level icon the charging status screen is displayed and the "Target Charge setting is displayed.

Below this display take Settings > Charging Locations to see if a location is Active.
More complicated than necessary.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem and indeed, the advanced settings had me at 100%
Silly to have 2 places to look . . . Thanks for the help, I noticed the recent change as well. 80% used to be 80%; now 80% is 100% KH