Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Camping in the e-tron

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 05:20 PM
Terlonz

Received 272 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Camping in the e-tron

Courtesy of www.sheepie.com
Old 09-14-2022, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll camp on the ground, thanks. Semi unrelated but is there a way to plug a 120v appliance or something into ze E-tron's high voltage battery and not the 12v?
Old 09-14-2022, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 369 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 727200
I'll camp on the ground, thanks. Semi unrelated but is there a way to plug a 120v appliance or something into ze E-tron's high voltage battery and not the 12v?
No, there is no direct access to the HV traction battery. Others have found that the onboard DC-DC converter, which keeps the 12V battery topped up, is actually rather beefy and can output something like 1kW (or maybe even more). So you can hook up a pretty big inverter to the 12V battery and as long as the vehicle stays powered on (so the HV battery contactors are engaged), the DC-DC converter will keep the 12V battery full from the HV traction battery.

it can be tricky to convince the e-tron to not power down...apparently the most common trick is to sit in the driver seat with the doors closed. With your foot OFF the brake, press the power button. The car will boot up but will not engage the drive system (but the HV contactors will engage). You can now exit the vehicle from the passenger side, leaving the keyfob in the center console. The power should stay on indefinitely (at least that's what I recall from other threads about this).
The following 3 users liked this post by skaven81:
727200 (09-14-2022), marraccinijd (09-14-2022), MobileComfortDome (10-11-2023)
Old 09-14-2022, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 369 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by mtberman
Courtesy of www.sheepie.com
It's bonkers to me that the e-tron doesn't have a "camp mode" like Tesla, where the climate control can be kept on for many hours at a time. With the rear seats folded down, there's a TON of room in the back: plenty for a foam mattress, and it folds nearly flat. I'd be perfectly happy to sleep all night in my e-tron, provided I could run the AC all night. But alas, it's limited to 30-minute (or sometimes 1-hour, not sure how it decides) bursts.
Old 09-14-2022, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Looks expensive. I don't like camping but if I would do it, I'd suffer on the ground for only a few hundred bucks of equipment or rent a cabin/hotel.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:26 PM
Institutionalized Member

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't try opening the rear hatch with the tent on top!
Old 09-15-2022, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by skaven81
But alas, it's limited to 30-minute (or sometimes 1-hour, not sure how it decides) bursts.
If you are actively charging on DC fast charger, it is 1 hour, anything else 30 minutes.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 683 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by skaven81
It's bonkers to me that the e-tron doesn't have a "camp mode" like Tesla, where the climate control can be kept on for many hours at a time. With the rear seats folded down, there's a TON of room in the back: plenty for a foam mattress, and it folds nearly flat. I'd be perfectly happy to sleep all night in my e-tron, provided I could run the AC all night. But alas, it's limited to 30-minute (or sometimes 1-hour, not sure how it decides) bursts.
This. Unfortunately, the Audi/VAG software is such a mess. I am not sure I ever hope to see a meaningful software update pushed with additional functionality.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:46 AM
BW5
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

I like camping...or at least used to....but yeah, no thanks for rooftop tent....and no thanks for the camo wrap.
but that's just me.....
I don't get the rooftop thing. You can never leave camp to explore or run an errand or to haul and launch a kayak, etc.... ONLY maybe if you make a habit of camping in swamps or severely rocky and uneven terrain

and yeah, no "camp mode" (or dog mode...or groceries in the car mode....or....) and no onboard inverter are really both shockers to me.

it's really kindof funny to me....on one hand the car....is a really great car, way up there on the scale....maybe close to a 9 or 10
but on the other hand the computer/app/MMI/control side of it is way down there on the scale.....almost a zero or 1

How can they be so far apart?....seems like that would take actual effort to achieve!
Old 09-20-2022, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 683 Likes on 495 Posts

@BW5 VAG is simply crushed in the software department. There is really no hope soon. Even Porsche has has said that they are going to go out on their own for software because VAG is such a mess. I understand that the Audi MMI is unique within VAG, but it is no better.

Look, the ID family of cars has software just as bad if not worse than ours and their cars are an entire generation newer.

Quick Reply: Camping in the e-tron