Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Buying a CPO e-tron?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a CPO e-tron?

Has anyone of you bought a CPO Etron?

Does the CPO warranty saves you a lot of troubles.

It's supposed to be 7 years from date of manufacture, unlimited miles.

Just wondering. Cause I want to buy a 2019 CPO, driving 50K miles a year, for the next three years

Anything I should watch out for?
Old 07-05-2022, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

The savings on gas alone driving that number of miles might cover most of your car payment.

4K miles/mo divided by 20MPG = 200 gals gas X $5 gal = $1000/mo for gas.
4K miles/mo X 425 Wh/mi = 1,700kW @ $0.13/kW = $221 charging @ home for a savings of roughly $779/mo

I don't think many drivers consider how much they spend on gas these days.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here in Southern California I plan to charge for free at public stations, or $50/month.

EVCS.com
Old 07-05-2022, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bill33525
The savings on gas alone driving that number of miles might cover most of your car payment.

4K miles/mo divided by 20MPG = 200 gals gas X $5 gal = $1000/mo for gas.
4K miles/mo X 425 Wh/mi = 1,700kW @ $0.13/kW = $221 charging @ home for a savings of roughly $779/mo

I don't think many drivers consider how much they spend on gas these days.
I plan to use the gas money to make monthly payments. However, the required 10000 miles services to keep the CPO warranty might eat a lot out of your pocket.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by adobian

Are you sure on the unlimited miles? I thought the miles were now capped. Maybe that is just on IC engines.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 689 Likes on 500 Posts

Here in Southern California I plan to charge for free at public stations, or $50/month.

EVCS.com
I love the CPO plan. However, the rest of the plan falls apart on me with this statement.

When buying an EV you are buying for today's conditions. When an EVSE provider is promising support down the road, that support will never come on schedule and will always be late. They will blame COVID, or logistics or permits or anything, but your network you are relying on for free charging is not going to be anything like it is promised anytime soon. So, you need to find out if the economics of your plan works with existing tech, for example an EA subscription. I am not familiar with the EVCS network but their web page does not inspire confidence. Hopefully it works out for you.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

EVCS.com
I would really work out your numbers. EVCS is in the infancy and its model is not a sure thing. They also have relatively slow fast chargers - 50 kw max, and if you are doing 50K miles a year - that is a full charge every business day. At 50 kw that is an 1 hr 45 min charging every day, sometimes needing a boost up charge during the day. The EVCS network is thin, and you may not be near them all the time. Free high speed does exist in Southern Cal and LA area, but they are few and heavily used and abused - often down. I know from experience. They are also slow and have time limits and people waiting. Usually it is 30 min so 1 hr 45 min is not going to cut it, be allowed, or make you popular with the line of cars waiting.

Also, the terms of service of EVCS specifically calls out that unlimited $50/month charging is for personal use only and commercial use is not allowed for that price. I don't think you can convince anyone you travel 50,000 miles a year for personal use only.

Consider EA subscription $4 month and 31 cents per kWh if you need high speed during the day. If you can, I recommend charging at night at home or business and let it slow charge for a full charge at night. Even though electric is expensive is SoCal, with a EV time of use plan, you can get the $/kwh charge down to reasonable levels that is cheaper than commercial high speed charging.

Best to you!

I would also triple check that 7 years unlimited mileage claim, that seems suspect.

Last edited by weth; 07-07-2022 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Seems like Audi is always changing the CPO program. Back in 2017 I purchased a 2017 CPO Q7 - it was 2 years & 100K miles add to the regular 4year/50K. Earlier this year I was looking at Audi CPO Q7 and it was only 1 year/100k miles.

Today on the Audi website it states:

" If there is remaining coverage from the Audi New Vehicle Limited Warranty at the time of Certified pre-owned purchase, the Audi New Vehicle Limited Warranty provides coverage on the Certified pre-owned vehicle until its expiration, either four years from the original in-service date or at 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

When the Audi New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires, the Audi Certified pre-owned Limited Warranty becomes effective and provides coverage for a period of two years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. If there is no remaining Audi New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage remaining at time of purchase, the Audi Certified pre-owned Limited Warranty is effective at time of purchase and provides coverage for a period of two years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. See owner’s literature or dealer for warranty exclusions and limitations." Back to two years again.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Never buy an electric car used, unless it's a Tesla. You'll be throwing away $8,250

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 07-11-2022 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 538 Likes on 399 Posts

Has anyone of you bought a CPO Etron?

Does the CPO warranty saves you a lot of troubles.

Just wondering. Cause I want to buy a 2019 CPO, driving 50K miles a year, for the next three years

Anything I should watch out for?
I have a 2019 Audi Prestige model. I participate in the RecurrentAuto EV program and their data on the market value for similar cars is:

Quick Reply: Buying a CPO e-tron?