Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

Audi Vs Elon Musk Vs Twitter

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 687 Likes on 498 Posts
Default Audi Vs Elon Musk Vs Twitter

Is anybody concerned about our eventual ability to use the Tesla Supercharger network when Audi/VW is still in a feud with Elon over twitter? Audi has not posted on twitter since Oct 28th, 2022 when Elon took over twitter. One of the reasons those of us interested in the Q6 e-tron could not find any live stream information is because there was no livestream and our questions to Audi twitter were just a dead end as Audi no longer posts. Porsche does interact and post and is still drumming up Macan EV support on the platform.

I guess my question is that if Audi can't get over a Twitter spat, do we honestly believe they will trust Elon with the charging network Audi claims it is going to start supporting?

https://x.com/Audi/status/1586036527561596929?s=20

GM And Audi Expand Their Soft Boycott Of Twitter By Pausing Posts | Carscoops
Old 03-20-2024, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Do you really care to charge at a supercharger? They are always packed with a line ten cars deep. While the EA right next to Tesla chargers will be completely vacant.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

When a Sociopath has the ability to disrupt so much of our lives based on a whim, it’s best to have options imho.
The following 3 users liked this post by thebishman:
MobileComfortDome (03-20-2024), peteh2 (03-20-2024), WetEV (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1
Do you really care to charge at a supercharger? They are always packed with a line ten cars deep. While the EA right next to Tesla chargers will be completely vacant.
I am the first to admit that I believe I will primarily be an EA user for as long as the network lasts.

However, I road trip monthly and there are times when there is no EA and plenty of Tesla Supercharger. Rather than break the trip up with a hotel visit and L2 I'd just assume Supercharge.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 216 Likes on 178 Posts

We visit the Kids up north using the I-95 Corridor from central Florida several times a year. Mostly EA and couple of EVgo etc. I would be tempted to stop at a Tesla Station that had a lot of stalls in areas where EA is overcrowded during our trip. There are a few 20 stall Tesla SuC stations along I-95 up north. Otherwise the free juice at EA will be our choice as much as possible. The Q8 charge port is on the wrong side for straight in parking and would require backing into a V4 stall with long cables if in the correct stall. Finally, when reaching our destination in Rehoboth De only TSuC are available so it would be a big help to have access. In Central NJ the small 4 stall EA station is always overcrowded and dispensers run slow so again having the TSuC network available would be a big help there.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1
haha funny. In California, I rarely see a full supercharger station, while EA are always full or broken.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The irony of being given access to the Tesla Supercharger network is that ironically it will require a myAudi app overhaul as the charging account data and all of the automobile telemetry has to be handled by Audi and its App. Of course Tesla has offered all other car manufacturers to simply use its app, however, when a customer uses the Tesla app, Tesla can maintain the car data. Apparently the data cannot be harvested by Tesla if the charging is handled through the auto makers app or Plug and Charge. According to Jim Farley, the data issue was a deal killer and Elon finally agreed that data would be stove piped. All Tesla can capture from non Tesla cars is auto make, charge speed requested, charge speed delivered and time. Battery temp, current draws, and balancing information is not shared with the CPO (was not with EA either).
Old 03-21-2024, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

I could really care less as long as there is road adjacent charging station with available high speed charging stall when I pull in...goal needs to be to have high speed chargers at every gas station along the highways!
Old 03-21-2024, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 136 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
haha funny. In California, I rarely see a full supercharger station, while EA are always full or broken.
That has been my experience as well. EA is mostly broken or throttled, and if there is a station that's working properly you have to wait to use it. Tesla charging stations are more common around here, and have more stalls.
The following users liked this post:
blope (03-23-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 296 Likes on 161 Posts

The Supercharger network is undeniably large and probably the last remaining benefit of anything related to Tesla ownership.

That being said, Elmo is a disgrace, Twitter - while still useful - is a dumpster fire of Gold and Bitcoin selling and conspiracy theory misinformation. So, good on VAG for not supporting Twitter (or X or whatever the eff it's called). Sometimes you have to vote with your wallet on what you feel is right, and kudos to VAG for doing that.
The following users liked this post:
Srad600Q8etron (03-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Audi Vs Elon Musk Vs Twitter