Audi e-tron / Q8 e-tron Discussion forums for the electric Audi e-tron SUV.

22 e-tron Sportback, Motor Failure, buyback...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by KSpider
My ‘19 had 70k problem free miles and got totaled in Feb. I have a 22 S I got in march new and today it got bricked with the electrical malfunction at 13,000 miles.
Bloody sorry to hear this. Let us know how it turns out. Hopefully it’s a fairly quick replacement and you end up with a zero mile new motor.
Old 09-11-2023, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 689 Likes on 500 Posts

My ‘19 had 70k problem free miles and got totaled in Feb. I have a 22 S I got in march new and today it got bricked with the electrical malfunction at 13,000 miles.
@KSpider do you have any follow up to this? Any ideas about what the bricking actually is/was?
Old 09-11-2023, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

the fact that motors are still failing in the new-er cars is worrying - meaning Audi has still not addressed underlying issue in 3+ years or they deemed that motor failure rate is not high enough to justify design change..wonder if Q8 motors have different/improved coolant seals?
Old 09-11-2023, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

@A4 Phil got towed to dealer at 1:30am this AM , nothing new yet.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I still don't have a definitive answer on what the problem is yet. "We are waiting on a special tool to be delivered. There is a short somewhere which requires the tech to start with one wire harness plug, check it, and keep doing this until they find the short. This means removing all the under panels and possibly the emotor drop."
Old 10-05-2023, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update : I heard back from the dealer. After replacing a controller module, different than the controller module replaced in July they have now determined that they need to replace the front e-motor, the one they just replaced in July! So the new e-motor replaced in July lasted all of 5 weeks! The e-motor is coming from Germany so they said it would "be a while". In the meantime I submitted all of the paperwork to AudiUSA for buyback consideration. They said they will respond within 45 business days.
Old 10-05-2023, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

update on my '22 E-Tron S that was towed on 9/10 - the battery control model part is on backorder from the manufacturer, im told it will be months so the dealer said they would begin the process to request a buyback from Audi.
Old 10-06-2023, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 689 Likes on 500 Posts

update on my '22 E-Tron S that was towed on 9/10 - the battery control model part is on backorder from the manufacturer, im told it will be months so the dealer said they would begin the process to request a buyback from Audi.
Wow, at the rate that emotors are failing, Audi needs to ship a supply of them to their US hub.

Low coolant light on cross country - AudiWorld Forums

I don't spend a lot of time on e-tron forum. It seems to be more of a Euro take on the e-tron and I have been an AudiWorld guy since the A4. But I might take a look over there to see if our Euro friends are having the same emotor issues. I certainly can't recall a lot of talk on here from our Euro crowd about emotor replacements.
Old 10-06-2023, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A4 Phil
Wow, at the rate that emotors are failing, Audi needs to ship a supply of them to their US hub.

Low coolant light on cross country - AudiWorld Forums

I don't spend a lot of time on e-tron forum. It seems to be more of a Euro take on the e-tron and I have been an AudiWorld guy since the A4. But I might take a look over there to see if our Euro friends are having the same emotor issues. I certainly can't recall a lot of talk on here from our Euro crowd about emotor replacements.

So it’s not my motor, it’s the battery control module. They said there are motors in stock in the USA now.
Old 10-06-2023, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Anyone else coming off their factory warranty in 2024 on their 2019 etron looking for an extended warranty? I don't usually buy extended warranties but it seems that a motor failure is imminent if you plan on keeping your etron for 10 years.

Quick Reply: 22 e-tron Sportback, Motor Failure, buyback...