Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Would this code explain the car not moving in DRIVE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would this code explain the car not moving in DRIVE?

Hello, I've lived with this code and the check engine light for years now and all seemed OK.

17125 - Torque Converter Clutch
P0741 - 35-00 - Stuck OFF / No Power being transferred

At one point I even dropped the transmission pan to look for metal. All was well. Refilled with new fluid per filling instructions at temperature.

Never any real issues. Occasional sharp shifting, especially downshifting to first, and sometimes feels like it slips under acceleration, but otherwise fine. I try to go easy when accelerating so as to not aggravate things.

Yesterday the unthinkable happened. Backing out of the driveway I felt a harsh thud. I thought I had hit something. Drove up the street and at an uphill stop I went to pull out, only to float backwards! It took about 30 seconds of fiddling with the shifter before I could get the car to move. I put it in first and it moved. Not sure if that was coincidence, or what.

It's feeling harsher than normal now, but it hasn't done that since. Needless to say, I worry that this may be the final straw with this car!

Do you think this is just the same old problem that's finally progressed to the point where it might not engage the TC at all? Or do you think it's something else that won't show up as a code?

Thank you.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd Beaulieu
Hello, I've lived with this code and the check engine light for years now and all seemed OK.

17125 - Torque Converter Clutch
P0741 - 35-00 - Stuck OFF / No Power being transferred

At one point I even dropped the transmission pan to look for metal. All was well. Refilled with new fluid per filling instructions at temperature.

Never any real issues. Occasional sharp shifting, especially downshifting to first, and sometimes feels like it slips under acceleration, but otherwise fine. I try to go easy when accelerating so as to not aggravate things.

Yesterday the unthinkable happened. Backing out of the driveway I felt a harsh thud. I thought I had hit something. Drove up the street and at an uphill stop I went to pull out, only to float backwards! It took about 30 seconds of fiddling with the shifter before I could get the car to move. I put it in first and it moved. Not sure if that was coincidence, or what.

It's feeling harsher than normal now, but it hasn't done that since. Needless to say, I worry that this may be the final straw with this car!

Do you think this is just the same old problem that's finally progressed to the point where it might not engage the TC at all? Or do you think it's something else that won't show up as a code?

Thank you.
I definitely think the TC has had it, and could eventually progress into toasting your transmission if not R & R'd..

On the other hand some drive as much as 12-18 months on that same code without any problems... it's just a hit and miss with the TCs

The way I see it, you have 2 solutions, one is call up 517 and order a TC(Better/stronger/longer lasting) from them ( www.517trans.com ) OR..... Do away with the problematic tip tranny and get yourself a 6sp manual transmission for about the same cost as rebuilding the 5 speed tip. ( www.Audis4parts.com ) Talk to Bryan there...

Last edited by awdjunkies; 09-19-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I think I've had the code for at least 3 years now! Sigh. If I weren't so poor I'd use this as an excuse to finally buy the pickup that's more appropriate to my lifestyle these days.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd Beaulieu
Yeah, I think I've had the code for at least 3 years now! Sigh. If I weren't so poor I'd use this as an excuse to finally buy the pickup that's more appropriate to my lifestyle these days.
Story of my life, my friend...