Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

will A6 lower control arms fit the allroad? they look identical

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes everything else is the same. The only difficult part is removing the pinch bolt from the upper knuckle. It can either slip right out, or be simplying maddening.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Allroady DungBeetle
See my last post.... I think the lower rear most are the same part except for the bushing? Do you by chance have a picture of the AR specific one out on the bench next to a standard C5 A6 one? I would love to see that if someone has it.

I just held a B5 A4 unit up to my AR (laying on the ground quick look) and it seems the same. ????
I've emailed PureMs about this exact thing. They informed me that both the allroad's lower fronts (front & rear) are different than the S4's and A6's.
I priced them a while ago @ approx $288 front & $346 rear or whatever you can get them for at your local Audi Dealer. Pricey things!

And further reminder: Watch out for that pinch bolt! It will definitely try and bite you on the....well...have a great day!
Old 02-28-2013, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default looking for the awnser here...

I'm going to drag this topic up to the top again. I was hoping this thread would give a definitive answer to the original question. What is the dimensional difference between the allroad lower front control arm and all others of the same era?
  • Is it the cone shape and size at the upright?
  • Is the distance between the chassis and upright different?
  • Is there a clearance issue because of shape or geometry?
I'd really like to know the details. Perhaps a B5 arm can be modified to work (change out the bushing?). I'm the first one to dive in the VAG-Audi parts bin to keep my fleet running w/o draining the mad money budget.

The only way for me to own one of these is to dig for alternatives that keep me away from the dealer.

Thanks
Chris
Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Old_School_Audi
I'm going to drag this topic up to the top again. I was hoping this thread would give a definitive answer to the original question. What is the dimensional difference between the allroad lower front control arm and all others of the same era?
  • Is it the cone shape and size at the upright?
  • Is the distance between the chassis and upright different?
  • Is there a clearance issue because of shape or geometry?
I'd really like to know the details. Perhaps a B5 arm can be modified to work (change out the bushing?). I'm the first one to dive in the VAG-Audi parts bin to keep my fleet running w/o draining the mad money budget.

The only way for me to own one of these is to dig for alternatives that keep me away from the dealer.

Thanks
Chris
Hey Chris,
you can always check and/or compare them by checking out part numbers from this company. Or give them a call ...

ALLROAD

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi...oad-allroadkit

VERSUS:

A6

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi...e-hd-8e0498520
Old 03-01-2013, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

The answer to the original question is no, the allroad lower control arms are allroad specific.

Source: http://www.allroadfaq.com/main/index...eral&Itemid=69

The aluminium track control link has been reinforced in cross section. The ball pivot cross section has been enlarged and the joint angle adapted to the kinematics. The suspension strut eye is lower and the mountings for the connecting link and the level sensor have been moved inwards (to allow free access of the connecting link to the suspension strut).

In the case of (aluminium) guide links, the cross section of the ball pivot has been enlarged. The joint angle has been adapted to the kinematics.
The joint angle of the upper, front transverse link has also been adapted to the modified kinematics.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I went ahead and pulled the an arm off my allroad today. I compared that to an arm off a 98 A4.

There are a number of differences. Some obvious and others very slight.
The biggest difference is the vertical position (z axis for the kinematic nerds) of the strut attachment. Not being able to pickup the center of the ball joint accuratly, I lined up the inner bushing and the shock bushing. The joint appears to be ~16mm off from the other arm.

Also as stated in the Audi literature, you can see the anti-roll bar link boss is futher in on the allroad arm. The ball joint is obviuosly larger as stated.

The ball joint cone geometry matches. While there are some cross section differnces, I didn't see much in what I consider high stress areas to be concerned about. If the A6 uses the A4 arm then the allroad on the street shouldn't stress it any higher.

The distances between the bushing centers out to the ball joint looks identical.

https://forums.audiworld.com/picture...ctureid=239864
Old 04-10-2022, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Nearly a decade later, still very useful info!

Holy smokes, not to ultra necro this but damn thank you for taking the time to clear this up! Immensely helpful. I own two of these pleasure sleds and well, thanks again!!

Originally Posted by Old_School_Audi
I went ahead and pulled the an arm off my allroad today. I compared that to an arm off a 98 A4.

There are a number of differences. Some obvious and others very slight.
The biggest difference is the vertical position (z axis for the kinematic nerds) of the strut attachment. Not being able to pickup the center of the ball joint accuratly, I lined up the inner bushing and the shock bushing. The joint appears to be ~16mm off from the other arm.

Also as stated in the Audi literature, you can see the anti-roll bar link boss is futher in on the allroad arm. The ball joint is obviuosly larger as stated.

The ball joint cone geometry matches. While there are some cross section differnces, I didn't see much in what I consider high stress areas to be concerned about. If the A6 uses the A4 arm then the allroad on the street shouldn't stress it any higher.

The distances between the bushing centers out to the ball joint looks identical.

Same thing here, should be other side but either way BOTH sides are fully out like that. Wow huh.

For laughs, check out THAT chassis mount bushing on front lower control arm…

https://forums.audiworld.com/picture...ctureid=239864
Old 05-09-2022, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 509Mathias
Holy smokes, not to ultra necro this but damn thank you for taking the time to clear this up! Immensely helpful. I own two of these pleasure sleds and well, thanks again!!
This sort of bushing damage comes from tow truck drivers hooking onto the lower control arm. Both sides are pulled forward.

Old 05-09-2022, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rashuntory
Passat arms are no different than the B5/C5 versions when it comes to the geometry. You'll still have the same issues of binding the ball joint at the suspension travel limits and the swaybar attachment points.

Last edited by Old_School_Audi; 05-09-2022 at 05:04 AM.