Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Where are the glow plugs on my 2.5 TDI?

Old 01-29-2014, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are the glow plugs on my 2.5 TDI?

I decided to change all 6 glow plugs on my 2005 Allroad 2.5 Quattro and bought a set of new NGK ones today. The problem is on looking under the engine cowl I cannot find them !
Can anyone point to a picture or video showing just where the things are accessed ?
Thanks in advance
Old 01-29-2014, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by allankennedy
I decided to change all 6 glow plugs on my 2005 Allroad 2.5 Quattro and bought a set of new NGK ones today. The problem is on looking under the engine cowl I cannot find them !
Can anyone point to a picture or video showing just where the things are accessed ?
Thanks in advance
I don't have a good clear engine picture handy, they are deep in the engine, from the injectors look inwards to the V centre, so LH bank they are RH of the injectors and RH bank they are LH of the injectors, and you will see a wire (looks like a hose) going to the top of each one, pull each one off to expose the long glow plugs,
BE WARNED they have a tendency to break on removal, (which is a head off job!!) spray plenty of loosening agent and use small tools to feel the force you are applying, no large breaker bars or anything crazy!!

is it weak at starting? or white smoke cold or both?

regards

Andy
Old 01-29-2014, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Thanks for the advice Andy

The engine normally starts first time every time and runs perfectly but I am finding that on cold mornings (below 4c) it is reluctant to fire on all cylinders sometimes needing 3 attempts. I'm sure the coolant sensor is doing its job because the glow plug light indicates a longer on period when cold.

I get the feeling that one or more glow plugs are not working but after the first few revs it picks up and again runs perfectly

This morning I did a test by switching the ignition to on twice before going for a start thus giving the glow plugs more on time.

It then started on the first try (though a little reluctantly

I'll take better look tomorrow (weather permitting as it was raining today) and be most careful with the removal, I have already bought a new tin of plus-gas. Though I've bought a set of 6 new plugs (NGK £54.0 from GSF) I will probably do a resistance check on each plug before removing it on the assumption that the faulty one(s) will be open circuit or at least read considerably higher than the 1 ohm nominal. Then I may return some of the plugs to the shop.

Do I need to remove any tackle from the top of the engine to gain access?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Picture found

Hi Andy

With a bit of determined surfing I've found what I think is a picture of my engine along with some good advice on glow plugs.

I'll be under the bonnet tomorrow after a good nights sleep!

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/gl...t-mk3-mk4-tdi/

PS If you think this engine is different then please let me know

Thanks Allan
Old 01-29-2014, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not your engine but it's a good description and picture of what you need to do. The engine pictured is a 4 cylinder diesel so it's a bit easier to get to the glow plugs.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by G0to60
That's not your engine but it's a good description and picture of what you need to do. The engine pictured is a 4 cylinder diesel so it's a bit easier to get to the glow plugs.
I'll add some video. It's can help also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edJWoc8ZeXY#t=29
Old 01-30-2014, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by G0to60
Thanks Andy I realise now its a 4 cylinder - anyway I'm just going out to take a look at the real thing
Old 01-30-2014, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Romario
I'll add some video. It's can help also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edJWoc8ZeXY#t=29
Thanks for that and its very interesting but the guy using all the special tools seems to be repairing the spark plug hole of a petrol engine ?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks Andy I realise now its a 4 cylinder - anyway I'm just going out to take a look at the real thing
Nope - I still can't find them - please read on

I have the Elsawin workshop manual showing exploded views of the cylinder heads and the glow plugs do not appear on these.

I have spent several hours surfing Google images and Audi forums and so far the detail of how to access the glow plugs of the BAU engine has escaped me.
I can see that there are some connectors, 3 on either side, just above the camshaft covers, each of which vanishes into a hole in the inlet manifold casting. Can someone please tell me that these do NOT feed the glow plugs because if they do it appears that a major operation will be needed to access them ? If you have encountered this problem, or know anyone who has please advise me.

Thanks in advance Allan
Old 01-30-2014, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for that and its very interesting but the guy using all the special tools seems to be repairing the spark plug hole of a petrol engine ?
No no!
This video especially shown how you can repair glow plugs holes.
Glow plugs has a very thin walls of body and must be tightened not more when 10-11 Nm. Be on a safe side!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where are the glow plugs on my 2.5 TDI?