Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Very unstable in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Many people think that "traction control" is a magic button. It's not, it's about physics.
I have never even referred to the "traction control" magic button, I always refer to "traction and control", and PHYSICS is why my questions regard TIRE PRESSURE.

Here's my point, started in my previous thread I referred to in my previous post here:

If my wife's car with ****ty-*** but the SAME size tires as my AR gets better traction than my AR, MAYBE it's because hers are set to 35 psi and not 40 psi.

The tires on my AR should NOT be sliding around like they are, it was icy but not the worst I've driven in. But I GET (and agree with) the point about using dedicated winter tires.

Nobody here has answered my question about lowering air pressure, so I'm just going to do that and re-evaluate.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Air Pressure may or may not work depending on the reasons as to why the tire is losing traction.

Vehicle weight has a HUGE impact on how the car will perform on snow. Tire size is also proportionate to this. What you want is a lot of pressure between the tire and the road (or snow in this case).

To do this you want a narrower tire (smaller contact patch) or a heavier car. Have a look at a rally car; they're super light and thus run weenie wagon wheels yet they grab traction like nobody's business.

Tread compound is another huge factor. So while tire size and even vehicle weight may be the same, the stickiness of the tire plays a large role.

As mentioned before things like alignment, excess play in bushings, and mechanical failures like dragging brakes will compound issues.

It'd be nice to completely disable the ESP and ABS, then see what opinions you get on how much traction the cars have. If it's not buzzing and banging away some people would think traction is quite good. Most cars will slip a lot and go unnoticed to the driver.

For air pressure drop it down to 29/29 if you're not loaded. Can't hurt and it's easy to try.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brider
If my wife's car with ****ty-*** but the SAME size tires as my AR gets better traction than my AR, MAYBE it's because hers are set to 35 psi and not 40 psi.

The tires on my AR should NOT be sliding around like they are, it was icy but not the worst I've driven in. But I GET (and agree with) the point about using dedicated winter tires.

Nobody here has answered my question about lowering air pressure, so I'm just going to do that and re-evaluate.
Do you normally drive around fully loaded and over 100mph? That's the recommended psi for those conditions. Why so hard with the tires? 29/29 is light load and under 100mph, but IMHO is too low. I run 34/34 as a nice compromise.

My current GY Tripletreads are at 50% or less tread and the AR still does great in the snow. Heavy slush is a problem due to the less tread depth, but still very good in everything else. My A4 rocks in the snow, but also has brand new Conti DWS's.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by brider

Are they identical brand and type of tire? If not, you can't compare them. The A6 doesn't weigh that much less, perhaps 200-300 lbs, so it shouldn'b the weight difference.

And what do you mean by the same size? Same width? AR tires should be taller, although that's a technicality and shouldn't be affecting your driveability.

The tires on my AR should NOT be sliding around like they are, it was icy but not the worst I've driven in.
I strongly recommend to check wheel alignment. You could have this situation with the front tires: \ / or the other way / \ this will cause hell in slippery surface.

What about tire wear? Is it even, is there feathering, etc...? Low or high tire pressure shouldn't matter that much, as long as it is consistent (e.g. right side 40 psi, left side 15 psi may give problems).

Bottom line: check your alignment and get better tires. All-season tires perform very poorly with Audis (AR, or A6) simply because they are heavy. If you couple the all-season tire with bad alignment, problems will ensue.

As you yourself mentioned, it's not traction control. Others mentioned too, it's not the nature of the car either, but it could be the car in the sense of alignment, or suspension problems.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

fatter tire in snow=bad

very off topic but my other whip is a 03 crown vic police car, with brand new all season generals i would get stuck pulling out of my driveway with 2 inches of snow, YET my pops has a mid 90's town car essentially the same car, can out drive many suv's in the snow...i kno its hard to believe but its amazing to watch but perhaps its because of a skinnier tire and a higher/lower rear ratio??
Old 01-24-2012, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by score602
fatter tire in snow=bad

very off topic but my other whip is a 03 crown vic police car, with brand new all season generals i would get stuck pulling out of my driveway with 2 inches of snow, YET my pops has a mid 90's town car essentially the same car, can out drive many suv's in the snow...i kno its hard to believe but its amazing to watch but perhaps its because of a skinnier tire and a higher/lower rear ratio??
Biggest difference is tire. Both tread and width play a role.

It's also possible it had a taller gear ratio on the Town Car, but if you know what to do with the gas pedal, that hardly matters.

I used to own a 1996 Camaro Z28 6-speed. All the difference in the world was made by tires (unable to drive in 1/2 inch snow on all-seasons to driving through a blizzard with snow tires on).
Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

you wouldn't take a knife to a gunfight would you?
Old 01-25-2012, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You do know that this tire is not an All season tire don't you? Check the Sumi website. Its not the car its the tire and I'm sorry to say the driver who didn't check.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Biggest difference is tire. Both tread and width play a role.

It's also possible it had a taller gear ratio on the Town Car, but if you know what to do with the gas pedal, that hardly matters.

I used to own a 1996 Camaro Z28 6-speed. All the difference in the world was made by tires (unable to drive in 1/2 inch snow on all-seasons to driving through a blizzard with snow tires on).
different rubber compounds also plays a huge part in bad weather traction
Old 01-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All-seasons cannot compare to a nice set of winter tires on snow covered roads.

I just bought a set of Michelin X-ice tires and I will drive in blizzards with out a care in the world as opposed to last season where I would have to use my best judgement driving with all seasons.

Jason

Quick Reply: Very unstable in snow